• Software
  • Wave's Abby Roads Vinyl (p.3)
2018/02/28 22:52:53
sharke
I have found that it's sometimes good at making problematic audio sit in the mix better. For example I have a part now which is a sort of bright plucked instrument of indeterminate origin (was probably from an AAS sound back before I bounced it to audio, can't remember) and it sticks out like a sore thumb with some really harsh qualities. I tried EQ'ing them out but without satisfactory results. Naturally tried a tape sim next, again no dice. And then I slapped the Abbey Road Vinyl on it, went through a few presets, and bingo. Sounds perfect and sits in the mix very nicely. Can't say it's going to work that kind of magic on everything, but it's well worth having in your arsenal of "things to try when EQ doesn't cut it." 
2018/03/01 00:35:17
Jeff Evans
sharke
I have found that it's sometimes good at making problematic audio sit in the mix better. For example I have a part now which is a sort of bright plucked instrument of indeterminate origin (was probably from an AAS sound back before I bounced it to audio, can't remember) and it sticks out like a sore thumb with some really harsh qualities. I tried EQ'ing them out but without satisfactory results. Naturally tried a tape sim next, again no dice. And then I slapped the Abbey Road Vinyl on it, went through a few presets, and bingo. Sounds perfect and sits in the mix very nicely. Can't say it's going to work that kind of magic on everything, but it's well worth having in your arsenal of "things to try when EQ doesn't cut it." 

One area of a sound like that that may have contributed to it sticking out etc might be in the quality of its transients.  Abbey Road Vinyl may have just taken the edge of them to the extent that it sits in a mix rather better.  Nice use for it.  You may want to also try some form of Transient shaper in a situation like this.  I also have Waves Smack Attack which is rather cool at doing this also. 

2018/03/01 01:56:35
sharke
That's true. I have NI's Transient Master and I should give that a go. However I would have thought the tape sim would have softened the transients of this sound as well. 
2018/03/01 04:21:18
Zo
If you re asking between abbey road vinyl and xln rc 20 , if i had to keep one it will be without any hesitation rc 20 ....you will simply love it , and that s coming from a guy that made abbeyroad vinyl video !! Don t get me wrong it sounds exellent , but between both if it s your question , rc 20 wins in fact i don t see any plugins beating it , from izotope , to kankldem , the only serious counteder is fab saturn , but only in the distortion area ....
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account