• Computers
  • [SOLVED] Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? (p.2)
2016/01/22 14:55:01
JonD
Fireberd's idea is a good one.  I've used Macrium Free plenty of times.  (I've never tried it with cloning, but for backup images, it's always done the job without issue).  Won't cost you a cent either.

I suspect Acronis has a problem with your hybrid drive (specifically, the 8GB portion).  I saw reports of earlier versions of TI having incompatibilities with hybrid drives.  Don't know if that was ever resolved.

In any case, wouldn't hurt to try Macrium Reflect.  If it works (and you don't require anything fancier than backing up and restoring images), then the free version is all you need.
2016/01/22 16:36:50
Susan G
Ok, I took fireberd's advice (thanks!) and tried the backup with Macrium Free. It also failed with: Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 1117 - The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

I tried the backup (disk image) twice with 2 different drives as the destination and got the same error, so I guess it's the source drive. Chkdsk doesn't find any errors, so does that mean it might be the controller? I don't really know what that means... 

I was able to backup both my C and H partitions with Acronis at some point; I just can't backup or image the entire disk. BTW, that 21.99GB partition on Disk 0 above is the SAMSUNG recovery partition. I wonder if that's gumming up the works somehow, but I'm nervous about just deleting it.

I want to make replacing the boot drive as painless as possible since I have zero experience with the innards of a laptop. I've only swapped drives on a desktop. I have two internal drives in the laptop now, so maybe I should try swapping them first to see if it's the controller? Open to all ideas.

Thanks again-

-Susan
2016/01/22 23:32:07
Susan G
Ok, I give up! I've tried everything I can think of and spent way more time than I should have on this. I installed a different internal drive and got an error cloning to that. I tried to restore a partition using Acronis' Universal Restore and that didn't work either. I have multiple rescue boot media and I'm still back to where I started.

All I want to do is install a new hard drive and have what I had before: a dual boot system with dual Win 10 installs. At this point, I'm willing to just ignore the disk errors I'm getting with Acronis and Macrium, since I can't seem to do anything about them anyway. If the disk ultimately fails, I can't see how I'm in worse shape than I am now.

Frustrated,

Susan
2016/01/23 00:10:56
arachnaut
If you have another computer you could try puttting your laptop drives in it and clone or backup from that machine.

I don't recommend having a dual boot OS (two OS's) on a single drive.
2016/01/24 23:49:31
Susan G
arachnaut
If you have another computer you could try puttting your laptop drives in it and clone or backup from that machine.

I don't recommend having a dual boot OS (two OS's) on a single drive.

Hi Jim-

The drive I'm trying to clone definitely has errors that prevent it from being cloned or imaged. I've backed up the C and H partitions separately (C is current and H is from before I got the disk error on 1/8.) I'm going to bite the bullet and see if I can restore at least the C partition to a new drive.

H is where I have pretty much all of my music apps and I hate the thought of having to reinstall all of them. All digits crossed that I can restore that partition as well and boot from it. I did do a system backup from that partition/OS. I'm in unfamiliar territory here, but once I have everything working again I'll be sure to keep current whole disk images rather than just backups.

I'd be happy to have my 2nd OS on a second drive, but I don't know how to move it at this point. I did the automatic upgrade from Win 7 on C and Win 8.1 on H to Win 10 back when MS offered it and I don't know how to reinstall the OS on either now. My priority is getting everything from the C partition on a new disk so I can get back to work.

One of the frustrations in all this is that aside from that one disk error message Windows threw back on 1/8, there's been no indication of any problem at all *except* when I try to clone or image the disk, and I'm at the computer pretty much all day every day. I'm glad to know there's a problem, I guess, and I'm sure I'll be relieved after this is all over, but what a PITN. I have bootable rescue media upon bootable rescue media

I'll post back when/if all's well again...

Thanks-

-Susan
2016/01/25 10:13:10
JonD
Susan G
.... I installed a different internal drive and got an error cloning to that. 
Susan

Susan, I didn't realize you were cloning.  I thought you were doing a backup image. 

The last couple times I tried to clone I had problems.  I've always resorted to backup images and never had an issue.  If you haven't tried that, it's definitely worth a shot.

2016/01/25 11:03:52
arachnaut
I also have had problem cloning (disk to SSD), but not from whole disk restores (Acronis HD backup to new SSD).

When you ran chkdsk, disi you use the "/f /r /b" options? That will check unused blocks and re-build the bad blocks maps. The disk copy may be sector to sector so you might be seeing bad block errors in unused file sectors.

The reason I prefer a single OS per drive is that there is only one partition table and its a good idea to have only a single OS modifying it.

For example, suppose there is the unlikely event that a Windows Update modified the partition table in some way. The other OS might not be able to boot using that info. Even if it's the same OS version, it might not yet have that Windows Update installed.

2016/01/25 11:39:07
arachnaut
By the way, here is the reference I found that describes how the 'dirty' bit changed from Windows 7 to 8.
That changed cause me a lot of grief on systems that had 7 and 8 on a single drive.
I help out at the local Senior Center fixing PCs and this came up once. It was pretty hard to figure out what was happening.

https://www.raymond.cc/bl...dows-without-chkdsk/2/
2016/01/25 18:40:33
Susan G
JonD
Susan G
.... I installed a different internal drive and got an error cloning to that. 
Susan

Susan, I didn't realize you were cloning.  I thought you were doing a backup image. 

The last couple times I tried to clone I had problems.  I've always resorted to backup images and never had an issue.  If you haven't tried that, it's definitely worth a shot.

Hi Jon-

Neither a clone nor a backup image worked with Acronis or Macrium on H. I started getting more disk errors on that drive and have since managed to restore C on a different drive using the Macrium image (painlessly) and I'm attempting now to restore H using Acronis. By the time I tried Macrium, I couldn't image the H partition; otherwise I would have used it for that as well. BTW, IMO, the Acronis TI 2016 GUI is total garbage (doesn't provide nearly enough info) and I'll be getting a refund ASAP. I'll either go with the full version of Macrium or reinstall my ATI 2013, since I do need to be able to backup files & folders as well as do disk imaging and clones.

Thanks-

-Susan
2016/01/25 18:48:26
Susan G
arachnaut
I also have had problem cloning (disk to SSD), but not from whole disk restores (Acronis HD backup to new SSD).

When you ran chkdsk, disi you use the "/f /r /b" options? That will check unused blocks and re-build the bad blocks maps. The disk copy may be sector to sector so you might be seeing bad block errors in unused file sectors.

The reason I prefer a single OS per drive is that there is only one partition table and its a good idea to have only a single OS modifying it.

For example, suppose there is the unlikely event that a Windows Update modified the partition table in some way. The other OS might not be able to boot using that info. Even if it's the same OS version, it might not yet have that Windows Update installed.

Hi Jim-

See above on my progress, but I couldn't backup nor clone the full disk. I got the message running chkdsk /r that there wasn't enough space to copy the bad sectors, which apparently means that reserved space was full. Just this morning I started getting multiple disk errors from Windows, so I went ahead and replaced the drive.

I'm in the process now of recovering the H partition with my second Win 10 boot. The 1st (C) boot apparently is working fine. I don't know how to transfer the OS on H to another disk. Maybe it's as simple as recovering it to a different drive? I want to at least get everything back to the way it was before I try that, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks-

-Susan
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account