• Software
  • My Hammond Organ VST/Plugins Review
2017/08/02 09:31:33
Leee
I posted this in the KVR Audio forums, and I thought it might prove helpful for anyone looking for a better Hammond Organ sound (if you're not happy with what you already have, or if you have none at all)   I should point out that there is already a thread in this Software Forum about the new GG Audio Blue3 plugin, along with several other B3 plugins.  But since that time, I've been doing some extensive playing and comparing with all the Hammond Organ plugins I own, and have come up with a more definitive opinion about which ones I like the best:
--------------------------------------------------------
Ever since GG Audio's Blue3 came onto the scene a few weeks ago, I've been playing, comparing, researching and reading reviews of the top Hammond Organ emulators/VSTi's. And as my grandfather used to say "OY VEY! My head hurts!"

I actually have Hammond Organ plugins that I forgot I purchased (that should tell you something) and I have one trial version.
This is the list of all the Hammond Organ VSTi's that I have installed on my DAW, and have been comparing and reviewing. I've been playing them by themselves and with other instruments (in songs), I've also been combining two together, which has some great results in some cases. I tried to list them from my favorite to least favorite (with a couple of exceptions):

GSi - VB-3 - Still my go-to Hammond Organ, although Blue3 is a very close second. For many users, this has been the Hammond organ plugin to beat.  I've been reading in various forums that a good percentage of users prefer this one....as do I.
GG Audio - Blue3 - After playing this for a few days, I waffled back and forth between this and the VB-3 as a "go-to" organ. It doesn't have a decent bottom end (you can't do a good "gliss" - a hand slide up from the bottom keys), and many presets sound too synthy. But it can punch through other instruments better than the VB-3, and I think it has a slightly better Leslie Speaker emulator. The amount of features and adjustments blow away anything else I own. It has a LOT of presets and Tonewheel sets. So for that alone, it's definitely worth checking out. I will most likely be using it on some songs. I tried combining the VB-3 and Blue3, playing them together, and it creates a very full sound, with the VB-3 adding the needed bass that's lacking in Blue3.
Native Instruments B4/ B4 II - It used to be my go-to Hammond Organ. When it was first released it was one of the best. It still ranks high on my list. It's a shame NI discontinued this line.
Native Instruments Vintage Organs - The replacement for B4 II, one of the worst product mistakes NI ever made, IMHO. A big step down from the B4-II. I don't use these organs at all. (This one should be at the bottom of the list, but I wanted to put it next to the B4 II.
Arturia B-3 V - (I have the Demo Version) Some people like this one best, but not one of my favorites. So your mileage may vary. It doesn't have too many decent presets for my taste. And the Effects Pedals (stomp boxes) don't really sound that great. Especially the Overdrive efx is not a good replacement for Tube Overdrive, found in other Hammond VSTi's. But it has a lot of unique presets that create synth-like, spacey, and non-Hammond sounds, along with traditional Hammond organ sounds.
AcousticSamples B-5 (Plays in the UVI Workstation) I had version 1 which I didn't care for.  But Version 2 is a big improvement. You can update it for free from v1. It's got a ton of presets, offers several different Hammond models and it really doesn't sound too bad. But for authentic B3 sounds it rates somewhere in the middle. I'm not too crazy about the rotating speaker sim either.
AIR DB-33  This is one of the VSTi's I forgot I owned. When I got the VB-3, I never went back to this one. Although it really doesn't sound that bad. 

So there you have it. In many cases, the differences between these plugins are more like comparing apples and oranges.  Again it comes down to your personal tastes, or in the case of this post/review, MY personal tastes.  They all have different sounds or "flavors" to them, but that doesn't necessarily make one better than another.  However when comparing features and under-the-hood adjustments, some are definitely better.   Blue3, as other users have noted, probably has the most choices, adjustments and controls allowing you to sculpt sounds from several different models and tonewheel sets that Hammond built, spanning many years. This includes many adjustments for aging and the condition of the virtual instrument. And for some, that would put this plugin at the top.

I hope this helps in some way, but there's nothing like hearing and playing them for yourself. I suggest if you download any trial versions (where available) you play them with other instruments to hear how these plugins sound within an actual song.  Playing these plugins by themselves can give you a quick idea of how they sound, but it really makes a big difference when playing with other instruments in the mix.
2017/08/02 11:22:17
Brando
Thanks for posting. When NI discontinued B4 I bought VB3 and haven't looked back. Have been thinking about trying Blue but your review pretty much confirms what I expected as far as the gap between them.
2017/08/02 13:44:26
Ham N Egz
Actually GG audios BLue B has quite a buzz over on Keyboard centrals forum

read here

the big point is to reset the parameters and tweak them then it sounds much better

I dont remember anyone commenting on the palm smear issue

2017/08/02 14:45:10
thepianist65
Great review, and I've been wondering if I should pick up the Blue3, which impressed me upon downloading the demo. While I have used NI's vintage organs and actually liked them (I never owned B4, however), I have switched over to VB3 since obtaining it, so that tells you something. When I listened to B5 on UVI's site it sounded pretty nice to me, but then again, I am much more discerning in my piano vst's (being primarily a pianist) then organ emulations, and never owned a genuine B3 or leslie speaker, either. 
Anyway, very helpful information, and thanks for providing it.
2017/08/02 16:12:34
Glyn Barnes
VB3 has become my goto but I will use others from time to time.

I like the Arturia B-3 V a lot for its non-authentic extra feature, the drawbar modulation, but probably would not call it up in preference to VB3 otherwise.

I used to use NI Vintage Organs a lot but via either Melda (for crunchy) or XLS labs (for clean) rotary speaker VSTs.

The Air DB-33 does sound very good, I got it as part of that big bundle deal and was impressed, even though its unlikely to wean me off VB3. It only has a single manual which only becomes an issue if you want both manuals going through the same Leslie and amp, otherwise just use two instances.

Some others not mentioned here.

UVI Retro Organ Suite - this is good for the casual user but probably won't appeal to someone wanting a full blown Hammond emulation. I have it because its got some nice unusual transistor organs.

Sampletekk Tonewheel - This is a one trick pony for Kontakt, a very filthy and distressed Hammond L-100. Only one manual again. But it has adjustable drawbars will cut through a strongroom door. Its a firm favorite of mine.

Sounddust Hammr+ and Hammr Growler - For Kontakt -Growler is a one trick pony but a very decent dirty Hammond, the Hamme+ is more fully featured. Its a decent emulation with its own strengths. Like the Arturia incorporates sound design features beyond the scope of the original. Each drawbar is its own pan, vibrato speed and depth and ADSR control. Very non authentic but it can sound wonderful.

2017/08/02 21:00:36
bitflipper
Great job, Lee. Now, on to your next assignment: Leslie sims.
2017/08/02 21:20:27
Leee
Thanks for the feedback and contributions.  I appreciate them.
It's gotten to the point where every time I go back to some of the B3 plugins that I mentioned, (besides VB-3 and Blue 3)  they really don't sound that bad.  It's like being shown 5 beautiful paintings, each done in a different style and asked to choose the best one.

It's especially hard to pick a favorite when listening to each of them within a song.   Most of the ones I listed sound pretty decent in a song with a full band of instruments.  If you gave me a blind listening test (that sounds funny) and asked me to pick the most realistic sounding B3 emulator, and say which one it is, I probably couldn't do it, except for maybe Blue3, which really sounds unique in cutting through the other instruments.

2017/08/02 21:25:28
Leee
bitflipper
Great job, Lee. Now, on to your next assignment: Leslie sims.

My brain is fried from 3 days of listening to and comparing all my Hammond plugins.  But I think Blue3's Leslie sim, while it may not be the best, definitely cuts through and is more pronounced than the others. 
2017/08/21 13:57:13
Fleer
Blue3 now includes a separate Leslie plug-in.
2017/08/23 07:59:12
Leee
Fleer
Blue3 now includes a separate Leslie plug-in.

But it's the same Leslie emulator in Blue3 right?  They just made it into a separate plugin?
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account