• Software
  • Is there a DAW as good as Sonar? (p.2)
2018/02/08 19:53:05
Jeff Evans
If you are prepared to switch a Mac then Logic is also a very deep program.  With the same pedigree as Cubase.  Also a longer pedigree than Sonar as well.

There are also some excellent options for Windows based machines such as Samplitude, Studio One etc..Cubase etc..  All great. The reality is you can get the job done with all of them. You are the only real limitation.
2018/02/08 19:56:58
cclarry
Jeff Evans
You are the only real limitation.

#TRUTH
2018/02/08 21:08:02
Amicus717
JClosed
Hmm.. It depends. I must say after an careful and lengthily consideration I "jumped ship" last year April to Cubase, because the MIDI implementation in Cubase is in my humble opinion better than that of Sonar Platinum. Don't get me wrong - Sonar Platinum is very, very good, but Cubase is just a level higher.

I tried Studio One also. And while it is a very nice DAW, I personally (as mainly MIDI user), found that program lacking in the MIDI department compared to Cubase. I think if you are more of an audio/recording person, then Studio One is a great choice. However - In my humble opinion nothing beats Cubase if you want to really use all MIDI possibility's.

Oh - and to be honest. Once you are used to the Control Room you will miss this kind of setup in about every other DAW. I am not kidding.

I would agree completely with all of this. Cubase is peerless in its MIDI implementation -- better than Sonar (which I liked a lot), miles better than anything else I've tried, frankly. 
2018/02/08 23:03:51
azslow3
Since most other DAWs was mentioned... IF you:
* do not like dongles and do not really like online authorizations
* do not need new gigabytes of something
* prefer to test full version before buy
* like extensions, scripting and openness
* like limitless audio and MIDI routing flexibility
* like transparency in prices and do not want to wait for "the next sale" nor for "no-brainer" deals
* prefer to use programs written by concrete, known and top professional people (and only by them, without subcontracted, periodically exchanged, anonymous developers with unclear origins)
* have many old Sonar projects and want open them in your new DAW...
There is no choice. Download 11Mb DAW with the name "Reaper".

2018/02/09 00:07:16
Kev999
RishiS
..Any thoughts on which other DAW gets closest to Sonar...

Zargg
...But they (DAW's) are "just" tools...

If we regard software as tools, then a toolkit can be enhanced by additional tools that have different capabilities, rather than adding more similar ones. With that in mind I chose to ignore any DAWs that are too similar to Sonar and looked for ones that have specific features that Sonar lacks. I ended up purchasing Digital Performer and Mixbus32C. So I now have three DAWs which together provide a wide range of capabilities.
2018/02/09 05:38:59
RishiS
I am mostly into MIDI orchestration and VSTs and some minimal audio work , mostly vocals and percussion. I would never want to leave Sonar, but over the years Windows version will change and will need migrate to something else if Sonar does not upgrade itself.
Having said that , from the responses looks like Cubase is strong in MIDI. I know Protools is way behind feature-wise and is just too popular since it has a "industry defacto" status somehow in the market.
Its nice to hear Studio One is also a contender. Given Presonus' supporting hardware - from mixer to monitors and audio interfaces, it sounds promising.
2018/02/09 07:39:19
soens
cclarry
Jeff Evans
You are the only real limitation.

#TRUTH

Whew! This is really good news. If he's the only real limitation and he's no where near me... I must be limitation free!

How cool is that?! 😎
2018/02/09 09:11:48
Beeej21
azslow3
Since most other DAWs was mentioned... IF you:
* do not like dongles and do not really like online authorizations
* do not need new gigabytes of something
* prefer to test full version before buy
* like extensions, scripting and openness
* like limitless audio and MIDI routing flexibility
* like transparency in prices and do not want to wait for "the next sale" nor for "no-brainer" deals
* prefer to use programs written by concrete, known and top professional people (and only by them, without subcontracted, periodically exchanged, anonymous developers with unclear origins)
* have many old Sonar projects and want open them in your new DAW...
There is no choice. Download 11Mb DAW with the name "Reaper".

THIS.

I'm in the process of starting my Reaper learning curve after being with Cakewalk more than 20 years. So far, I'm extremely impressed. Plus, I can "skin" it to be as beautiful as Sonar is.
2018/02/09 11:34:33
RishiS
Beeej21

I'm in the process of starting my Reaper learning curve after being with Cakewalk more than 20 years. So far, I'm extremely impressed. Plus, I can "skin" it to be as beautiful as Sonar is.

What about support for midi control surfaces in Reaper? Is it any better than Sonar. This is one area where I find Sonar slightly limiting. I use the Behringer X-Touch and did'nt have many options when I chose this one, coz Sonar was not supported by quite a few other controllers that worked just fine with Pro Tools, Cubase, Abelton etc.,.
2018/02/09 13:23:00
azslow3
RishiS
Beeej21

What about support for midi control surfaces in Reaper? Is it any better than Sonar. This is one area where I find Sonar slightly limiting. I use the Behringer X-Touch and did'nt have many options when I chose this one, coz Sonar was not supported by quite a few other controllers that worked just fine with Pro Tools, Cubase, Abelton etc.,.

Sonar has quite good control surfaces support. It will be ported into Reaper during this year.

It is true, Sonar was not supported by controllers. The same with Reaper. Most controllers are product specific and after Roland no-one tried to make serious controllers for Sonar. That can be seen as Cakewalk/Cockos fault, but it is not. Try to use Ableton Push with ProTools or Faderport 8 with Cubase.

I have learned that most people do not want any controller, even if they have it and it works with the DAW. I am not alone, Nektar has tried to support Sonar. I guess they have stopped that activity after noticing sales (the same as with Roland before).

And those who want something, just use motorized faders for mixing plus a jogger/transport. That works with any controller in Sonar (which has corresponding control elements).

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account