• Software
  • Is there a DAW as good as Sonar? (p.9)
2018/02/13 19:53:33
azslow3
awake1994
Sry, Justin made me laugh ;) His product is far away from a to-go-DAW.

That is the only DAW which can be used as "to-go-DAW", put on USB stick and work everywhere (from XP to Win10).

No audio-editor,

It is a DAW, not an audio editor... It support integration if you need one.

less intense for an usable gui, dialogs like Win 3.11 for workgroups,

It supports themes, but it targets usability and speed. If you prefer compressors which look fancy but consume 50% of your computer resources, since that has zero influence on the sound, you make me laugh ;)

obsessive usage of one track type only

It is 21 century.

no usable drum-editor

???

and so on and so on ...

2018/02/14 00:49:50
sharke
Yeah I can imagine that if you're just starting out then Reaper's "bare bones" install is probably a little off putting when other DAW's are an all-in-one package. But over the years I've accumulated a pretty solid set of tools, including just about every kind of plugin effect available, countless sample libraries, a couple dozen synths, drum machines & sequencers, analysis tools and everything else. Plus I have an Adobe subscription and can use Audition if I need to do any kind of fine grained audio editing or processing. So a bare bones install is actually a plus. 

After having used Sonar for years it's been great to discover that there are better ways of doing things. The "one size fits all" track philosophy of Reaper is a real no-brainer - Bitwig has it as well. It makes you think, why would it be any other way? Bitwig is a really cool program as well, it's almost like a mini-Reaktor with a DAW built in. The sound design possibilities are endless, and it has some really useful features, like being able to set a track's waveform as the background for the piano roll so that you can line your notes up using an audio track as a visual guide - I believe Ableton and FL Studio has that as well. 

I now believe that Sonar was just trying to be too many things at once and consequently never really excelled at any of them. I'd really love to see it come back with a lot of the chaff cut out, and streamlined into an exceptional audio-oriented DAW. Whenever I hear people say that Sonar is the greatest DAW hands down, it's usually people who use it to record and mix audio, they barely touch upon 30% of its features and never experience the awful problems with stability and bugs that heavier users experience. Get rid of the Matrix view, maybe even the step sequencer, forget about the notation view and everything else that only a tiny % of users cared about. I can't imagine how many expensive development hours were wasted by Cakewalk in upgrading and maintaining features that hardly anyone used. 
2018/02/14 12:03:14
Jim Roseberry
sharke
I can imagine that Justin is selling a lot of licenses at $60 a pop. Even if he's only selling 10 a day, that's $4200 in revenue a week, more than enough to sustain a comfortable lifestyle if your overheads are low (and as far as I'm aware he's not shipping out boxed copies or spending a ton on Facebook advertising). 

I believe Justin made ~90M when he sold WinAmp... and he was what, 19 years old?
I think he's OK.  
2018/02/14 12:46:31
The Maillard Reaction

2018/02/14 14:33:39
emwhy
One other thing to keep in mind and this was brought to my attention by a former student. For some of us older people (I'm 53) we got into this at a time when DAWs were attempting to recreate the workflow of the traditional studio, with consoles, tape decks, routing everything the way a real world mixing desk would do it. There's an entire new generation of people doing recording that never knew that world. Many newer DAWs have broken that traditional mode because....they can. In many ways I welcome this because it forces me as a user to break old habits and learn newer, more modern techniques with recording, editing, and mixing. 

I like Reaper because it allows me to cling to some of my older habits and ways of doing things and gives me a lot of options to keep things similar to SONAR. But that being said, that could quite possibly the worst reason to use it as a replacement DAW so I've been trying to open up to much newer possibilities. Luckily that program gives me those options as well. As much as it hurts to see SONAR retired, I am  now past that and fully welcoming the challenge of learning new ways of doing things and can't wait for my band's next project with or without SONAR.

2018/02/14 14:38:04
sharke
Jim Roseberry
sharke
I can imagine that Justin is selling a lot of licenses at $60 a pop. Even if he's only selling 10 a day, that's $4200 in revenue a week, more than enough to sustain a comfortable lifestyle if your overheads are low (and as far as I'm aware he's not shipping out boxed copies or spending a ton on Facebook advertising). 

I believe Justin made ~90M when he sold WinAmp... and he was what, 19 years old?
I think he's OK.  

Wow I did not know it was the same person!
2018/02/15 00:00:28
kitekrazy1
Winamp 2 is still my preferred player.
2018/02/15 02:45:26
michael diemer
Woops, wrong thread. Ignore

I agree, Cubase is a bit overpriced at 600.00. But companies charge what they want, what they think they the product is worth, and what they think they can get for it. Some are always higher than the rest, even when there is no real reason in terms of the product. It's the same in sample libraries. East West has great 50% sales. Vienna has 15% sales. And their stuff is priced higher to begin with. But they stay in business. Consumers have choices. If you have the bucks/euros/pesos etc, spend what you want and get what you want. Or if you don't, shop around. It all works out. Except when it doesn't, and a great product goes tits up (sound familiar?).
2018/02/16 04:29:06
abacab
kitekrazy1
Winamp 2 is still my preferred player.

Winamp was an amazing piece of software at the time.  I'm sure it is still as good at what it does. 

In comparison, I hated iTunes on the PC.  Uninstalled.  It was so bloated that it seemed like updating an OS every time a new version was released!  Meh!
2018/02/16 05:59:01
sharke
I got a subscription to Spotify a few years ago and have never looked back. Have never used a media player since. Jeez I remember spending endless hours curating and tagging my MP3 collection back in the day, and I haven't even opened the damn folder for about 7 years! 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account