• Software
  • What DAW are you going to now? (p.3)
CBJ
On another note, claims that software such as Reaper are awesome have to be the biggest joke of this industry.

Smoking pot will get you hooked on heroine, and people who never smoked pot know, so it's gotta be true!!!   <G>
2018/02/21 19:16:47
BobF
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
CBJ
On another note, claims that software such as Reaper are awesome have to be the biggest joke of this industry.

Smoking pot will get you hooked on heroine, and people who never smoked pot know, so it's gotta be true!!!   <G>

2018/02/21 19:21:53
abacab
"That ain't the way to have fun, son"

2018/02/21 19:30:58
Mesh
Just Another Bloke
My DAW can beat up your DAW.

You must be Talking_to_Yourself (again)
on this highway of information that never ends?
"Don't fear the Reaper"

2018/02/21 19:42:40
emwhy
I did fear, now I embrace......glad I did. Just waiting on ARA 2 later this year. 

Last night I loaded up 1 instance of Kontakt with 8 different synths inside including 2 sets of Abbey Road Drums which are CPU hogs. All this with my buffer at 64 on a Mackie firewire sound device. The CPU on my system barely blinked. That's just one of the reasons I embrace Reaper.

2018/02/21 19:54:37
arthquinn
I've got no axe to grind either way. I've used Cubase and Logic in the past, but had Sonar as my main daw for the last 6 years because it was a bit of a babe... the look of the interface and the workflow just suited me. 

I was frequently frustrated with instability and crash issues, but that was true with other daws as well.

I went for the Samplitude deal because I've wanted Spectral Layers and the general audio-editing capability for while but couldn't afford it. Samplitude is a very good daw, but I'm finding it just doesn't suit me in terms of laying down  material in a way that keeps my inspiration going, but thats just me and my foibles.

I had tried Reaper a while back, and didn't take to it. I guess I also bought into the general perception that it was the cheap option and lacked the investment to make it a functional competitor to the rest.

Well I've looked at it again, and even although there may be a "love-in" to a degree on this forum, I can see why people become advocates for it - it deserves a lot more credit than it gets even now.

Its stable, fast, and efficient, and it has most of the features I'm looking for and a good bit more - ARE would be nice, but its coming. At first glance its ugly and cumbersome, but its meant to be lean - there are some beautiful skins out there and and it can be easily customised to give you the workflow you need.

I'm not a pro, but I have been working with these tools for many years, and Reaper deserves to be taken very seriously indeed - especially at £60.

As I said elsewhere, Reaper comes as a tramp to your door - dress it nice, talk to it and get to know it and - imo - you'll be richly rewarded   
2018/02/21 19:55:03
abacab
2018/02/21 19:55:55
abacab
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
"Don't fear the Reaper"

Needs more cowbell!!! 

2018/02/21 20:26:38
Kev999
I'm still mainly using Sonar and I'm reasonable confident that it has a future. If not, it will continue to work at least in the short term, so there is no reason  to abandon it yet. Meanwhile I'm learning a couple of other DAWs. Right now I'm enjoying using Harrison Mixbus32C. I've also got MOTU Digital Performer, but that's more of a long-term thing and I haven't got very far into it yet. Sonar, DP and Mixbus all have different strengths. I didn't see the point in being a 3-DAW user and having 3 similar DAWs. To diversify a bit seems like a good idea.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account