• Software
  • What DAW are you going to now? (p.6)
2018/02/24 01:36:53
xiwix
How come nobody said they were going to try BandLab?
2018/02/24 03:25:21
abacab
Is that a trick question? 
2018/02/24 03:55:30
DeeringAmps
What DAW will I be using?
SONAR, duh!
2018/02/24 07:24:20
Studioguy1
I am proud to say that I am indeed a Sonar Platinum user and plan on remaining so.  Thank you.
2018/02/24 07:58:49
azslow3
xiwix
How come nobody said they were going to try BandLab?

(Current) BandLab is in fact a nice toy. It is obviously not possible to call it a DAW (most usual DAW attributes do not exist), but it is good for what it is. I was surprised.

Sonar can have a future. That is a great news for all Sonar junkies, independent from how it is going to grow.
But objectively, at the moment Sonar is one of the worse DAWs in terms of performance, stability and consistency. Mr. Kuok needs some wonder to change that. I wish he can find proper coders and give them sufficient time. But once the "thing" is there, I am sure he is able to promote that properly (BandLab videos are attracting, unlike almost all CW videos which I guess had opposite effect...).
2018/02/24 11:25:27
anydmusic
The announcement does not change my move to Cubase it does mean though that I am open to considering Sonar again in the future.
2018/02/24 15:53:14
Soundwise
azslow3
at the moment Sonar is one of the worse DAWs in terms of performance, stability and consistency.

Not sure what makes you say that. On my PC Sonar is the most stable and efficient DAW. I can finish a project from scratch within only a few hours in Sonar. For instance, this particular tune was ready in 3-4 hours, including writing, arranging, recording, mixing.

Takes a lot longer in other DAWs I also own and know fairly well.
2018/02/24 16:20:04
kitekrazy1
I'm a doubting Thomas when it comes to change. I feel betrayed after getting 11 months out of my lifetime update. I wont put any more money into Sonar. I have plenty of other DAWs and need to weed some of them out.  Despite reading the Q&A I'm a bit cautious.
2018/02/24 16:35:35
bdickens
SONAR!
2018/02/24 17:46:53
azslow3
Soundwise
azslow3
at the moment Sonar is one of the worse DAWs in terms of performance, stability and consistency.

Not sure what makes you say that. On my PC Sonar is the most stable and efficient DAW. I can finish a project from scratch within only a few hours in Sonar. For instance, this particular tune was ready in 3-4 hours, including writing, arranging, recording, mixing.

Takes a lot longer in other DAWs I also own and know fairly well.

Nice project

But that is an indication of a good work-flow, layout and features. Combined with personal preferences to do things (while most DAWs can till some degree "imitate" behavior of other DAWs, not native for particular DAW approach can be from inconvenient up to annoying).
I have not mentioned anything from that as a "bad side" of Sonar. I also like all that, especially the layout.

* performance. I have "low end" desktop computer, and there the luck of performance is easy to stop. "Wrong" option set - CPU spikes up to 100% when I move the mouse over the track view (my video card is up to date). Just starting Sonar takes "ages". Keeping lower ASIO buffer, even with RME, is not possible with more then several plug-ins. Sure everything is relative. I was happy all that years.  But on the same computer, other DAW: start within several seconds including project loading, work with low ASIO buffer as long as the project can play at all, has almost zero CPU use increase no matter what I do

* stability. Not too often (especially since X3) and almost without crashes, but from time to time something was weird. And that is under condition that I, as "usual" Sonar user, already at X1 time have learn to avoid some operations, especially when transport was not stopped. I was reading many times in this forum that is the only way to work with any DAW (except Ableton which was thought for "live" operations). But my modern experience have shown that is not true. Adding tracks, effects, replacing synthes, re-routing, arming, etc. while playing the project can work without glitches.

* consistency. Is there any post 8.5 feature which has no list of occasional or permanent funny "features"? Several general "highlights":
- only in some Platinum (so after more then 25 year) CW has managed to save MIDI inputs info into projects. But lol, even in the last version they have not managed to use that information properly. And in several last versions they have managed to break complete IO re-interpretation, so if some hardware is changed, Windows device manager and removing INI files is the only way to restore.
- in which language "None" means "All"?
- "Enable MIDI output is a property of VST" (it is not, VST property is "I support MIDI output")
- DX style MIDI processing (it has several design mistakes from the beginning)
The list is almost endless, but I stop now
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account