• Computers
  • Possibly new PC build - Motherboards and CPU (p.3)
2015/11/17 14:33:24
tlw
All the Intel chips overclock by design to a point - it's what the "turbo-boost" feature does. They seem solid regardless.

As for cpu speed, I've a Macbook Pro 2013 model that runs pretty hefty projects in Logic without issue using a 2.2GHz I7 (and only Intel HD4000 graphics). Cpu speed ceased being the biggest constraint on performance a few years ago. The only exception I've found being Amplitube which seems to consume far more resources on OS X than Windows for some reason.

As for stability, my suggestion is not to buy the latest and greatest motherboard but one that's been out long enough for the faults, if any, to turn up on forums etc. The motherboard in my sig was a fairly new release when I bought it, within a few months there were lots of people all over the relevant forums with apparently random lockup and freezing problems which not even manufacturer BIOS upgrades solved - and the manufacturer has never really acknowledged the problem.

I was lucky in that my board didn't have that problem. Until the end of last month, that is. :-(

Updating the motherboard also means a new cpu (can't get a decent board with the required socket for the existing one), new RAM if best performance is going to be had, and so on. The only thing I use Windows for these days is Sonar and I'm getting very tempted to just put Windows and Sonar on one of our Macs...
2015/11/17 15:12:09
Starise
Sir Les
Yes sir...Throughput, or channeling through PCI lanes....bigger lanes, more of em, more throughput of data flow...= more tracks?...better management of?...Guess we will see, in the next few weeks how x99 Asus deluxe Preforms with the Motu TB 828....I have high hopes, it will be better than the below spec I posted....Soon to change I am sure.

Asus X99 is a very good motherboard and it was in the running on my build. Excellent user interface. Low percentage of failures. Overclocking isn't always necessary. I plan to throw heavy soft synths and intense plug ins at my recordings in the future and I didn't want the system to ever choke. 3ghz might be fine too for this depending on how many tracks. I don't think we're mixing movie productions with 50 stems. I could be wrong.

ASRock seems to be somewhere in the middle and we'll see. It has decent reviews. There have been a few DOAs, but I don't think anyone should even try this if they aren't prepared to have that happen. It certainly can happen...best of luck to you on the build. My mentality is that if it can happen it might and I'll just have to swallow the results and send that bad one back. Main thing being that I make sure I do everything right to eliminate user error. Likely the reason for some  open box items on newegg. It isn't the end of the world just a darned computer right? :)

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experiences tlw. I agree. I tried to stay away from those high end gamer boards although mine has some of the same DNA. You raise a good point...failures don't always happen right away. In might be a few months down the road. Gigabyte has a few nice boards out there with decent ratings, but I understand that if you've been bitten once......

Cheers
2015/11/18 13:10:22
tlw
I think I've been bitten one way or another over the years by just about every PC components manufacturer other than Intel and Seasonic. It's a downside of building your own PCs so you get to be the quality assurance tester for almost every component. 20 years ago I went through four graphics cards before finding one that actually worked.

The PC component market is one with a lot of price-pressure, especially once you step back from bleeding edge technology (which comes with its own risks of course). The consequence is poor or non-existant quality control and the use of the cheapest components available, hence the faked capacitor issue of a few years ago.

On the subject of capacitors, having looked over my motherboard with a magnifier there are a few that look like they've bulged. Which might well explain things. :-(
2015/11/19 20:31:11
Starise
Good luck with it tlw. I have been fortunate so far today. 

I spent most of the day today putting together this build. I'm typing here on it now. Fingers crossed. I've been burning it in the last few hours. I'm still playing with the overclocking on it. 

In Windows 8.1 64 bit the  storage devices section doesn't show my 2 SSD storage drives. They show in my device manager.They show up on my SATA ports. I thought that was strange. I loaded my OS drive before I hooked up the others and maybe this was where the problem began. So I'm wondering if I try to direct a path to one how it's going to work.

Update- I got it working last evening. I guess we still need to format the old way. Makes sense. None knows how many partitions you'll need or want. I don't think formatting disks is very intuitive in Windows 8.1. This morning I have all my drive letters. 

All in all so far I can't complain. Runs very well and quiet. I accustomed to hearing the whirrrr of hard drives when I reboot. I can hardly tell when this one reboots. I'll post the build in my sig soon.

Now for the real fun. I get to transfer all of my software over.

Best,

2015/12/07 03:05:30
myconsumerclub
Just bought this and had Microcenter build it. got my touchscreen on order should have it by wednesday.
COOLMASTER HAFXB EVO TESTBENCH/LANBO CASE I think its an awesome case in that it has handles on either side for carrying it. 
CORSAIR 750W CXMOD 80+BRZ ATX Power Supply
CORSAIR 32GB 4X8 D4 2666 VGN C16 memory
OEM WIN 8.1 64BIT ENG 1PK DVD windows operating system
ASUS X99PRO USB3.1 LGA2011E ATX motherboard
INTEL BOX INTEL CORE I7 5820K CPU
SAMSUNG  250GB 850 EVO SSD hard drive main drive
COOLMAST HYPER 212 EVO UNIV HSF fan
ASUSCOMP HD6450 1GBD3 LP SLNT PCIE video card
ASUS 24XSATA DVD BURNER OEM 
$1,299.90Tax »$107.24Sale TOTAL »$1,407.14 for the parts $129 is what they charge for putting them all together. hope the other drives I already have are all usable. 
2015/12/09 15:04:00
Starise
Congrats on the new box!
2015/12/26 17:16:25
hollo
Starise

All in all so far I can't complain. Runs very well and quiet. I accustomed to hearing the whirrrr of hard drives when I reboot. I can hardly tell when this one reboots. I'll post the build in my sig soon.

Now for the real fun. I get to transfer all of my software over.

Best,

Same here, i have no problem with overclocked CPU - i also need for playing chords (8-10 notes) comfortable
with Serum. CPU doesn't even get warm. Feel with you about transfering all the software over...

Just one question did you get a firewire card for the ASRock as i don't seem to find on the motherboard?
2015/12/27 20:50:16
AllanH
I am looking at getting/building a i7/6700 based PC. The chipset is supposed to support 64 GB of DDR4  RAM, but everything from Dell/HP etc only supports 32 GB.  I prefer a built system, but can put one together if need be.

Another choice is to go XEON to get better memory controller and a larger addressable memory range (that's what I used to do). XEONs do very well under load, which I like.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2016/01/07 12:30:32
Starise
Sorry guys. I have been offline for awhile, everyone here is sick...anyways back to this thread.

Hollow- Yes I did get the firewire card for the ASRock so that I could continue to use my Presonus interface.
It has worked well until today. Worked fine last evening. Yesterday Windows updated my computer. Today my OS doesn't see my Presonus. Windows tuned my Realtek drivers back on as well. I had those turned off....I guess I'm going to be looking for a solution today :) I don't think the problem is with my hardware. I suspect it has something to do with the Windows update. My system is still running cool at 4.4 O.C. Granted I haven't really tried to push it yet.

AllanH- This must be a limitation of that Dell setup. Probably a limitation of the motherboard. I would find a motherboard with more memory capability. XEON setups are great too, but I think you could use that first chip set with another mobo.

2016/01/08 21:48:29
DrLumen
I never quite understood the whole overclocking fanaticism. Taking a cheaper system just to overclock it? shrugs To me, it is not worth the 10-12% increase in speed just to have possible issues and shorten the life of the system.

It is saddening that intel has quit making motherboards. I always had good luck with those. They might not have had all the 'cutting' edge bells & whistles but they were always rock stable.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account