• Computers
  • How to identify redundant windows files
2015/12/12 14:04:00
ampfixer
I was seeing my system slowly fill up the drives but I was not installing new files. While looking today I find there's a 16 gig files called windows.old and a couple other $windows folders. I've also got 20 C++ libraries on my system in 32 and 64 bit formats.

It seems most of this stuff is just taking up space but I don't know if I can delete any of it.

I need a computer wiz to help me sort out the junk, any ideas?
2015/12/12 14:15:14
Wookiee
The Windows.old, is the old version of windows, have you just update to the latest release build of win 10?
Might be needed to roll back.  As for the C++ libraries if you look large bits of your 64 bit system is still running 32 bit, Graphics drivers etc.
2015/12/12 14:51:52
RSMCGUITAR
I suggest getting CCleaner... works great. Also, I deleted windows.old because I don't plan on rolling back to Win8.1
2015/12/12 18:21:38
ampfixer
I have CCleaner set up as a TSR, it's always on. I couldn't delete windows.old, it wouldn't allow me to. It looks like I'll have to buy yet another SSD because everything creates junk. I freed up a bunch of space by going into the CCC download folder and deleting old versions I'll never go back to.
2015/12/13 06:34:04
fireberd
I avoid the "duplicate file finder" programs.  A same file may be in two different locations and the applications that use that file may only look at specific locations.  If the duplicate file has been removed from one location, and its the one that a specific application uses it will error since it won't look at another location that has the file.
2015/12/13 09:32:52
BobF
ampfixer
I was seeing my system slowly fill up the drives but I was not installing new files. While looking today I find there's a 16 gig files called windows.old and a couple other $windows folders. I've also got 20 C++ libraries on my system in 32 and 64 bit formats.

It seems most of this stuff is just taking up space but I don't know if I can delete any of it.

I need a computer wiz to help me sort out the junk, any ideas?

I'm not sure if WinX is the same as 8.1 for this, but the disk cleanup utility that comes with Windows does a decent job of cleaning up Windows/MS clutter.  I usually get a few gig back when I run it, but you have to use the advanced option to cleanup system files.  Apologies if this is all something you already know, or happens to be N/A for WinX:

To get rid of all but the latest System Restore file go to More Options

I would leave the C++ stuff alone.  These are probably the runtime libraries that are specific to the version of the MS compiler used to create programs.  Every time there is an update or new version of the tools, a new runtime is created ... but programs created with the older tools still need the older version.

2015/12/14 11:03:03
ston
Def. clean up (AKA delete) any files under users\<you|anybody>\AppData\Local\Temp, often a few GBs rack up there.  Often one or two files will be in-use/locked, but you can blow away the rest.

Also, temporary internet files can build up over time, I recently removed a bunch of them dated 2010-2013 (?!) which amounted to another couple of GBs.  c:\users\<you|Default|anybody>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows for the IE temporary internet files folder, not sure about Mozilla/Chrome/Opera etc. (simple enough to search).

Regarding the Windows.old folder, I believe that Windows cleans this up after a month of so of it hanging around, it's the OS which you upgraded from.  You could always back it up in case you want to go back to the previous version of Windows.

Pretty much all installers leave tons of guff hanging around in the system registry, you can free up some space by running a decent registry cleaner against it.  I think CCleaner is about £20.

Another thing worth checking is the location/size of the swap and hibernation files (pagefile.sys, hiberfil.sys).  I believe that you have some control over the size & location of the swapfile and possibly the location of the hibernation file.  This can also help to free up q. a bit of space.

Also, check your downloads folder, this can often get rather large.

HTH :-)

p.s. I only have 17 C++ redistributable packages installed, but I do have 34 separate M$ SQL Server packages installed - go me!  I guess they'll come in handy if I ever actually use SQL Server..?!
2015/12/18 14:21:25
ampfixer
I've cleaned a bunch of stuff from my drives and have liberated over 20 gig of junk. Windows is the biggest culprit. It doesn't clean up after it's done making changes. The windows.old file is locked out and I've long since past the point of going back to version 7.

Sonar was another bad actor. The ease of rolling back comes with a price. Everything I've ever bought and every update is stored locally by the command center. I saved a bunch of space by deleting versions that I'll never roll back to, or in some cases programs that were problematic and got quick updates. We need a utility for the command center that will clean up old files or allow you to specify how many versions you want to store.
2015/12/18 17:05:08
Fog
in ccleaner there is also a dupe file finder,  under tools menu..  which I've found useful

the other thing , look for "tree size free" by jam software, it'll show you bloated area's of ya drives

the most bizarre one I had years ago, on my sisters machine.. was a few 4mb photo's was reporting as 4gb.. so loading em up and re-saving em magically made em shrink instantly :)

have a look for things like "pdf" as you may find you have some foreign language ones also

2015/12/19 12:40:24
BobF
ampfixer
I've cleaned a bunch of stuff from my drives and have liberated over 20 gig of junk. Windows is the biggest culprit. It doesn't clean up after it's done making changes. The windows.old file is locked out and I've long since past the point of going back to version 7.

Sonar was another bad actor. The ease of rolling back comes with a price. Everything I've ever bought and every update is stored locally by the command center. I saved a bunch of space by deleting versions that I'll never roll back to, or in some cases programs that were problematic and got quick updates. We need a utility for the command center that will clean up old files or allow you to specify how many versions you want to store.

John - CCC has an option to specify a preferred location for downloads.  No need to copy all of the current files to the new location.  If you do decide to rollback, CCC will download whatever files it needs if they aren't already in the downloads folder.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account