• Computers
  • I need to transfer some old VHS tapes
2015/12/27 14:22:00
mixmkr
Get them on my computer as MP4, etc....or even burn a DVD later on..
I look online, even at reputable places like B and H, New Egg, etc..  and all I see is  horrible reviews. software not working...all that good stuff.

What works....and with Win10?  And of course I have the VCR, red/white/yellow/Svideo Cable.....and a wall outlet!
2015/12/27 14:23:02
mixmkr
The little cables for under $10 bucks that are VHS to USB, that you see everywhere get 50% rave reviews, 50% "stay away" reviews.
2015/12/27 14:35:11
dubdisciple
Capture cards/external devices are cheap and most work well enough for such tasks as capturing VHS. The key is finding decent software. The software included is often glitchy adware. I find most video editing software will accept the capture hardware as a source, allowing me to use software I sm familiare with. I have done this with premiere pro and vegas with good results. Never even opened software that came with device.
2015/12/27 15:01:49
mixmkr
Yeah.,.I have Sony Vegas and thinking about a $10 cable....hoping Vegas "sees it", that is.
2015/12/27 16:03:25
TerraSin
I've been thinking about getting an Elgato Video Capture card. At $80 it's not the cheapest option but they are one of the best you can get in that form of capture device.
2015/12/27 18:19:06
fireberd
I tried the VHS tape to PC to CD.  Very time consuming and iffy at best.  I bought a standalone DVD recorder and now use that.  Much easier and the DVD's will play on a DVD player.  A Standalone DVD player is more than the $10 converter but best option.
2015/12/27 19:49:12
mixmkr
FIreberd...that seems like the most foolproof.  I just order a VHS>USB cable off Ebay for $8 and we will see if Sony Vegas can use it to import. 
2015/12/27 20:27:37
LpMike75
mixmkr
FIreberd...that seems like the most foolproof.  I just order a VHS>USB cable off Ebay for $8 and we will see if Sony Vegas can use it to import. 

mixmkr - please let me know how it works out, I am in the same boat as you.  I'de rather spend 10 bucks on a cable and use Vegas than buy the 80 dollar cable/software package.
2015/12/29 12:42:46
kitekrazy1
fireberd
I tried the VHS tape to PC to CD.  Very time consuming and iffy at best.  I bought a standalone DVD recorder and now use that.  Much easier and the DVD's will play on a DVD player.  A Standalone DVD player is more than the $10 converter but best option.

This is the only way to go. IT also depends on what kind of VHS tapes are being converted. If they are not home video recorded you can forget about transferring because of copy protecting.
2016/01/03 13:32:04
joel77
fireberd

This how I transfer VHS tapes as well. 'course I already have the recorder. After I transfer to DVD, I can import into the computer.

Keep us informed about the cable you're buying. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account