• Software
  • Sonar Platinum at Guitar Center (p.5)
2018/02/16 20:57:15
gswitz
The story is on the sirius volume channel, debatable show.
2018/02/16 21:46:55
abacab
sharke
I received clarification from GC:

Thank you for your recent inquiry. You're definitely right, Cakewalk is defunct, and it was an error on our part. that 3/5 date might have been leftover info from before they went out of business, but we're definitely not expecting any more stock on that now. The page now says 'we're sorry, we no longer carry this item."

Sorry for any confusion regarding that product availability. 

Well that certainly clears things up!
2018/02/16 22:29:32
kitekrazy1
gswitz

??????

2018/02/16 23:24:01
gswitz
kitekrazy1
gswitz

??????

That's the name of the show, if you are looking for it in the SiriusXM App. 'Debateable'

I had a bit of hunt to find it. I was interested in listening. So when I found it, I posted the details of how to listen.
2018/02/17 16:17:29
kitekrazy1
gswitz
kitekrazy1
gswitz

??????

That's the name of the show, if you are looking for it in the SiriusXM App. 'Debateable'

I had a bit of hunt to find it. I was interested in listening. So when I found it, I posted the details of how to listen.

Did you listen to it and give a briefing?
2018/02/17 17:04:58
gswitz
I did listen to it.

I thought it wasn't very helpful. There were a bunch of people calling in saying they couldn't tune a Les Paul. Seemed stupid to me.

I mean, I can get that you don't like the guitars b/c of how they sound or look, or what it feels like to wear them. But can't tune it doesn't sound like a guitar problem itself. I can't honestly believe the tuners are no good.

I did a little research and Reverb.com has some interesting articles that show that Gibson prices rose where Fender prices fell...
https://reverb.com/news/guitaronomics-have-guitars-become-more-expensive-over-time

These are inflation adjusted prices.

Additionally, there is another article from Reverb.com that shows that while guitar in popular music seems less common, guitar sales are actually fairly strong in the USA.

I'm guessing that there is a significant market segment willing to pay a little more for a Les Paul. I think it's called price elasticity (or inelastic)... if you change the price and your sales don't change much, you can change your price a good deal and keep certain customers. For example, the people who buy newspapers will pay whatever is charged, but you can't entice new buyers even if you were giving it away for 5 cents. :-) so might as well charge more in some cases, even while buyers are disappearing.

I don't know that much about the economics of it. I'm sure they have smart people on the job.

What I got out of my reading and the radio show was basically that Gibson has been trying to innovate and the rockers have not been excited about. Consider their venture into the robotic tuners. No one seemed into it.

I don't really think that it's the price. I, myself, have a fairly healthy annual budget and have been shopping Gibsons. I don't really want the battery driven tuners not b/c they aren't cool. Not b/c they don't work. I don't want the battery b/c it's bad for the environment and I don't really need it. I don't use those clip on tuners for the same reason. I have an old tuner I got in the 80s that takes a 9volt. It's a Korg DT3. That works fine. The battery rarely needs replacing and if a pedal needs a battery, I can take the battery from my tuner. :-) or vice versa.

So, idk. Seems like Gibson was trying some smart things. It might have been a big hit. I love my car that stays between the lines for me. Some robotic stuff is super cool.

I hope Gibson works out their problems.

I just got home from an hour at GC where I watched a wealthy dude buy a pretty Gibson arch-top.

It's stupid to say they aren't good guitars, imho.

2018/02/17 18:09:25
kitekrazy1
Stone House Studios
Mesh
Does this come with a free Les Paul?

Just read that Gibson is in real financial straights; while not exactly new news to the music community - it shows that the struggle is real, and that quality and pricing have been issues for a long time. Long enough to eat away at everything!

Brian

High priced items that lack quality takes a long time for the consumers to forgive. It's like the US auto industry.  Crap cars started coming out in the 70's and now it's to the point that Detroit is not the #1 US maker.

If one spends 4 digits on an instrument and it's not the value, good luck getting that person back. 

2018/02/17 18:22:25
kitekrazy1
bdickens
Guitar Center is about to kick the bucket, too. So it makes perfect sense.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Not likely.  As for instruments they've become a Wal-Mart.  You see far more budget guitars.  The one closest to me doesn't even have a PRS.  There is no shortage of the under $200 inventory.  
 The pro audio section has less software. This is where it is reversed from the guitar section. They have all of the expensive software like DAWs. Hardly any plugins unless it's something like Omnisphere.  You wont find anything for under $50.

There's a lot of things there that will keep those places open.  The only time I go there is for strings and cables.  I live an area where anything musician related sucks. 
2018/02/17 19:53:50
michaelhanson
kitekrazy1
Stone House Studios
Mesh
Does this come with a free Les Paul?

Just read that Gibson is in real financial straights; while not exactly new news to the music community - it shows that the struggle is real, and that quality and pricing have been issues for a long time. Long enough to eat away at everything!

Brian

High priced items that lack quality takes a long time for the consumers to forgive. It's like the US auto industry.  Crap cars started coming out in the 70's and now it's to the point that Detroit is not the #1 US maker.

If one spends 4 digits on an instrument and it's not the value, good luck getting that person back. 

I know people post pictures all of the time in regards to quality issues on Gibsons, but of the hundreds that I have personally picked up and played over the last 5 years, I have not personally come across one of these instruments. The Les Paul Traditional that I just bought in December, a week before Christmas, is the highest quality, best playing LP of the 5, I have personally owned. I keep saying it, but maybe I am just an incredibly lucky guy.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account