• Computers
  • Recommendations on buying PC desktop
2015/08/23 14:07:47
letyourlightshine
Hello everyone,I started music production on sonar x1 on a hp laptop,with an i7 processor and 16 gb ram,then last year my wife gave me a macbook pro and while I enjoy using this,and use logic,sonar is still my favorite DAW.
I am looking into buying a fast PC desktop that can handle recording and production.I have been researching processors but feel like I need some advice from other users.
Obviously I am going to get as much ram as I can,but can anyone help point me in the right direction?

I realize some of this may be subjective,but any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
2015/08/23 15:02:40
Larry Jones
If you are in a family where gifts are at the level of a Macbook Pro, you won't have any problems. Just get out your credit card and call Purrfect Audio or ADK. Don't mean to be flippant, but these are purpose-built machines made by people who understand audio requirements.
2015/08/23 21:26:36
Doktor Avalanche
I use Dell but I'm liking a lot the HP Z workstations. I will probably upgrade in a year when USB-C and Thunderbird 3 is out,and Windows 10 has stabilised. If I were to make one big recommendation it would be to wait.
2015/08/24 10:10:47
Mesh
Also, another alternative (if you're inclined to do this) is to build your DAW. It's a great way to customize/select all the components specific to your needs and get the satisfaction of knowing exactly what's in your machine (in case something goes wrong). You'll also have complete control of what software gets to be installed.

Just need to do some research to make sure there aren't any compatibility issues and the good folks in here will also help you along the process (like they did for me).

Heck, if an amateur hobbyist like me can build one, anyone can. 
2015/08/24 16:36:38
S.L.I.P.
Perfect Audio! You won't be disappointed. Jim built a monster machine for me, almost 2 years ago, and it still feels brand new. I will never buy another machine from anybody else. Plus Jim is always on the Sonar forum.
2015/08/24 18:23:25
letyourlightshine
It was a wedding gift from my wife,I'm not "rich:,but thanks
2015/08/24 18:24:57
letyourlightshine
Ill look into that,I was just wondering about what processors,ect is better in your opinion.
Thanks

2015/08/25 09:08:14
Mesh
The i7 is generally a common favorite for a DAW and it's favored much more over the AMD. Depending on your budget, the newer AMD's might be a more economical solution. On the benchmark tests (when I was researching my build), the Ivy Bridge outperformed many of the top AMD processors and I'm pretty sure Haswell is doing the same.

If your budget can afford it, go i7 I say. :))      
2015/08/25 09:13:50
gswitz
Purfect audio pc has definitely worked out well for me. Ask for guidance so you get what YOU need.

I suspect that Jim can point you to the right thing for you, even if you don't need one of his custom builds today .
2015/08/27 09:20:53
DeeringAmps
Call Jim at Purrfect and call ADKproaudio.
That way you can quit worrying about the hardware and just make music.

Tpm
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account