• Computers
  • Recommendations on buying PC desktop (p.2)
2015/08/27 20:40:53
Doktor Avalanche
To add some balance here, I'm not worrying about my hardware here either.
Cheers...
2015/09/09 22:05:43
Joe Barnett
Thanks Mesh!
"The i7 is generally a common favorite for a DAW and it's favored much more over the AMD. 
If your budget can afford it, go i7 I say. :))  "

I need to get a new computer for music.
I will get  i7 for sure!   Thanks!
I will get  i7 in an ASUS Desktop PC.

My music computer just died and I need to get a new one now - Sept. 9, 2015

I have been using my writing laptop as my music computer to get by until I get a strong music computer going again.

We have been using Cubase for our last 25 albums, but I am now switching to using SONAR Professional.

I also do much of my software music through Reason 8.3

2015/09/10 09:09:51
TheMaartian
Couple of things.

1. Sure took some time to track down Jim's website. "Purrrfect" has THREE 'R's in it.
http://www.studiocat.com/open_cart/

2. Now that I've figured out how to turn the audio off, I'll take a look at it.

3. Whatever PC you pick, even if it's got the latest and greatest Intel chip set with Thunderbolt 3 support, make sure you are clear on the USB ports and their configuration (how many hubs; how many ports; which ports attached to which hubs; USB2 v USB3; etc.).

4. Just a recommendation, but...whatever PC you pick? Don't plug an iLok into it.
2015/09/10 13:35:07
sven450
Just a quick nod to us "regular" PC users.  I have a Dell XPS with a i7 processor.  It is not in the same league as a custom built DAW from either of the great companies mentioned here, but it has taken everthing I have thrown at it (giant projects heavily loaded with synths and plugins) and has never even hiccupped.  I did nothing to it other than get rid of the crappy stuff Dell preloads. 

I mention this simply because it is a cheaper alternative and is a perfectly viable solution if you can't afford a custom DAW.
2015/09/10 16:38:42
Bajan Blue
+1 for Jim here  - I have a couple of his computers - both been 100% reliable and DO exactly what they say on the tin!!
Oh and he's a good guy and very knowledgeable......
Nigel

2015/10/09 16:29:52
kzmaier
If your mic'ing up near the PC, you may want to think about getting a silent case, power-supply, and CPU fan.  Mines too loud and I'm trying to deal with it.
2015/10/11 21:39:42
townstra
My last computer had an AMD processor and when it died I replaced it with a new computer with an i7 processor.  Huge improvement and not really all that much more expensive.
2015/10/13 11:11:15
musicroom
Doktor Avalanche
I use Dell but I'm liking a lot the HP Z workstations. I will probably upgrade in a year when USB-C and Thunderbird 3 is out,and Windows 10 has stabilised. If I were to make one big recommendation it would be to wait.

I took a look at the I7 HP Z recommended configuration workstation and it was only a couple of hundred less on the front end of the purchase than Jim's Pro Studio DAW - but you also get quite a bit less.

Tangible $$ benefits:
  • HPZ = lower rated power supply 
  • HPZ = cpu stock cooler vs. larger quiet cpu cooler
  • HPZ - no second HD vs 1tb audio 2nd drive
  • HPZ = 8gb RAM vs 16gb RAM
  • HP/Dell, etc = installs bloatware

Subjective benefits:
  • Jim has shown me no hassle, no waiting on hold, no computer generated messages requesting I push 3, 7 then 9 to speak with an out of the country rep reading from a service cue. :)
  • Installed all the music software I requested (I provided serial numbers)
  • Tweaked and streamlined the DAW for my primary uses
  • Peace of mind knowing I had premium components installed / setup by a daw expert
  • DAW almost too quiet - I have to look at the tower lights sometimes to see if it's running
  • My time

What's not to like? Very fair, honest pricing by a skilled craftsman (check pricing for quality components - no way there are huge amounts of profit in these systems). Either way, nothing to bash or deter others based from my experience.

2015/10/16 21:53:29
S.L.I.P.
musicroom

• DAW almost too quiet - I have to look at the tower lights sometimes to see if it's running

When I first turned mine on, I didn't hear anything. I was cursing, because I thought it was broken. I was just about to call Jim, when I saw the windows logo appear on the screen.
2015/11/23 16:06:01
letyourlightshine
TheMaartian
Couple of things.

1. Sure took some time to track down Jim's website. "Purrrfect" has THREE 'R's in it.
http://www.studiocat.com/open_cart/

2. Now that I've figured out how to turn the audio off, I'll take a look at it.

3. Whatever PC you pick, even if it's got the latest and greatest Intel chip set with Thunderbolt 3 support, make sure you are clear on the USB ports and their configuration (how many hubs; how many ports; which ports attached to which hubs; USB2 v USB3; etc.).

4. Just a recommendation, but...whatever PC you pick? Don't plug an iLok into it.

Not exactly sure what you mean about the usb hubs,do iloks mess up sonar?
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account