2015/10/22 14:59:32
papacucku
Working on EP for a 17 year old prodigy. Going over project and he asked if I could get the guitar part we have already recorded to his live guitarist as guitar tabs. ....

Well....aint that a peach? I usually downplay the importance of native support for notation enhancements.  With the melodyne ARA technology or whatever it is, how hard is it to get from audio to midi to guitar tab?  anyway. if not what third party software should I look at?
2015/10/22 16:08:48
BobF
MuseScore is an outstanding notation package, the cost is $0 and it does TAB.

It will NOT automatically produce the score for you.

2015/10/22 16:36:46
sharke
You could convert to MIDI with Melodyne, quantize and import it into something like Finale which will convert to tab for you.
2015/10/22 17:24:08
mettelus
Melodyne for Audio->MIDI will work, but can be flaky depending on the material. Clean (DI) tracks works best, and may need quantizing.

SONAR's Staff View also will generate TAB (Edit->Quick TAB and Regenerate TAB... (for refreshes)), as well as display a fret board pane (View->Show/Hide Fret Pane) which can be useful for edits.
2015/10/25 17:10:32
Soundwise
Getting and using dedicated software is definitely the best option here. It's so much easier to type guitar parts in a score editor than to convert audio data to MIDI and then edit it. If you don't play guitar, get someone, who can do it for you.
2015/10/30 20:01:17
papacucku
Ill give this a quick try with musescore looks beautifully done and will open/import midi files.  Yeah I have also have had decent luck using sonar drum replacer to get  midi / melodyne or I believe cant we just paste an audio clip to a midi track track now and it tries to do that for us? (platinum?) .  Thanks for the tips.
2015/11/09 20:42:04
CadErik
papacucku
cant we just paste an audio clip to a midi track track now and it tries to do that for us? (platinum?) .  Thanks for the tips.

Somehow Sonar already supports this. I don't know how it works but by mistake I actually did drop an audio track on a midi track and some magic happened and blam then there were midi notes.

If Melodyne cannot decode your guitar track, there is probably no other tool that can do it... You might need a license of Melodyne that supports polyphonic audio.
2015/11/09 20:50:34
bluzdog
For polyphonic you need Editor but it's worth it. Have you seen this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ojHdfhl_iw

Rocky
2015/11/09 22:16:17
mettelus
Bear in mind that Melodyne Editor still does not capture pitch bend information. As soon as a note crosses the +/-50 cent boundary it becomes a new note. A lot of expression is lost in this conversion as well, so may work to get TAB info (with edits), but do not expect it to create a MIDI replica of an audio performance, especially on guitar parts.
2015/11/16 09:12:53
Kylotan
I'd love to be able to use Sonar to transcribe my guitar parts into tab via Melodyne. Even if it only got 80% of the notes correct, it would still save me so much time (especially compared to using the abomination that is Guitar Pro). With today's technology there's no reason why the pitch detection and quantisation steps couldn't happen automatically, with the user able to apply extra hints - eg. explicit note overrides where Melodyne got it wrong, or finger position hints to say where a certain note should be played on the neck.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account