• Computers
  • Computer and windows upgrade frustration <SOLVED>
2015/11/21 17:02:03
Grizzlylip
Good afternoon all,

This is my first ever post requesting technical advice.  I am generally of the opinion that any question I have has probably already been asked and answered somewhere (and in this case that's not necessarily untrue, so my point may be valid still).  Anyhow, after hours of trying to interpret advice given to others to make it relevant to my situation I am humbly turning to better men and woman than I for some direct advice.  I purchased a new computer, axiom 61, maschine studio, and NI komplete 10 roughly 3 months ago. I had made due with a very cheap computer over the last 10 years and felt I deserved something better, faster, and maybe even smoother.  I installed all of my software and connected all of my hardware without any hassle.  NI and Sonar have always been good to me in this regard.  All was hunky dory for a few days, and then the drop outs came.  Some pops and crackles as well, but I was able to tame these by following advice posted here and via the cakewalk site.  But the drop outs continued and my computer seems to, for a lack of better terminology; drag.  Specifiaclly, programs take an unusual amount of time to open, the audio engine stops working during playback, and sonar stops responding periodically.  Definitely frustrating considering I paid quadruple what I paid for my starter computer on what I thought would be an improvement (I previously owned an emachine, low end model).  Here is what I've done so far (remember, I am a veteran musician but a 5 year rookie as it relates to to audio engineering):

Ran DCP latency checker.  Results:  Something along the lines of drivers behaving bad and a suggestion to try disabling one adaptor at a time.  I tried this without progress.

Ran LatencyMon.  Results: "Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:43:33  (h:mm:ss) on all processors."

I disabled realtek audio and all Bluetooth adaptors.  Couldn't find a "CPU throttling" or "BIOS setup" (did I mention I am terrible with computers in general?).  Sorry for the winded explanation, I am trying to cover as many bases as possible to avoid wasting anyones time.  What I am hoping for is an experienced glance at the full results provided by Latency Mon (posted separately to avoided the longest post ever).  If anything stands out as "ah, that's what an idiot... he forgot to disable the thingy" would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Jake

2015/11/21 17:02:43
Grizzlylip
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:43:33  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-AF30Q7L
OS version:                                           Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
Hardware:                                             XPS 8700, Dell Inc., 0KWVT8
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Logical processors:                                   8
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  8143 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   3592 MHz
Measured CPU speed:                                   1 MHz (approx.)
Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.
WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.
Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   2212.118154
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   11.948560
Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1478.831920
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       2.402662

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.
Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              252.706570
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation
Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.039039
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation
Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.048384
ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   762355
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                2
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.
Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              927.445991
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation
Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.027056
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation
Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.107318
DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   2980097
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                275
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.
NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.
Process with highest pagefault count:                 svchost.exe
Total number of hard pagefaults                       3366
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          890
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          3725144.217428
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.644933
Number of processes hit:                              26

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       47.005211
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                252.706570
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   9.82080
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      625472
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                624.718263
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   18.291808
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      2546171
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       15.034828
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                236.285078
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.117418
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      50775
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                605.194878
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.669128
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      67390
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       10.303827
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                80.011971
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.024770
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      11593
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                621.881960
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.692990
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      63893
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       14.679202
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                107.893931
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.050555
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      20285
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                318.532851
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.398282
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      49531
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       10.575754
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                44.929844
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.030433
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      16508
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                805.976893
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.643132
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      72084
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       15.874311
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                46.503341
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.028402
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      13592
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                511.068207
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.490312
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      57806
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       10.512832
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                88.762249
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.023521
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      14266
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                927.445991
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.732164
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      72388
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       15.072497
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                46.904232
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.020409
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      9866
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                138.945991
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.520811
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      51109
CONCLUSION
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:47:33  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-AF30Q7L
OS version:                                           Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
Hardware:                                             XPS 8700, Dell Inc., 0KWVT8
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Logical processors:                                   8
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  8143 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   3592 MHz
Measured CPU speed:                                   1 MHz (approx.)
Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.
WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.
Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   2212.118154
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   11.185173
Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1478.831920
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       2.250875

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.
Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              252.706570
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation
Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.038103
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation
Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.047127
ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   862704
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                2
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.
Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              927.445991
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation
Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.025545
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation
Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.102403
DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   3248783
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                279
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.
NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.
Process with highest pagefault count:                 svchost.exe
Total number of hard pagefaults                       3407
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          890
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          3725144.217428
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.592873
Number of processes hit:                              29

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       51.011624
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                252.706570
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   10.454135
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      706934
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                624.718263
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   19.102845
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      2789471
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       17.465658
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                236.285078
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.122351
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      59705
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                605.194878
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.679929
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      69767
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       11.327276
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                80.011971
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.025539
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      13680
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                621.881960
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.711580
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      67568
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       16.120169
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                107.893931
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.051501
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      22155
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                318.532851
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.410121
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      52064
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       11.716844
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                44.929844
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.030935
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      18127
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                805.976893
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.680448
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      78909
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       17.431684
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                46.503341
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.029075
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      15487
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                511.068207
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.505609
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      60966
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       11.479229
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                88.762249
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.023861
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      15438
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                927.445991
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.751779
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      76359
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       16.460799
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                46.904232
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.020959
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      11180
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                138.945991
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.534752
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      53958

2015/11/21 17:10:39
Grizzlylip
I tried to submit a screenshot of the drivers tab found in the latencyMon as requested in previous threads, but I cannot get it to paste for some reason.  Another subject I am off to research.  Sorry for the delay.
2015/11/21 19:30:27
scook
A thread about adding images to forum posts with examples http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3292954
2015/11/21 21:58:51
slartabartfast
If you have not already done so, disable the wireless network adapter. Ask Dell support to tell you how to do that in the BIOS if doing so via Windows Device Manager does not work. Dell documentation tends to be of the just trust us we know what you need so do not screw with the way we set it up variety. I am not clear why LatencyMon thinks you are running Windows 8 but you think you are running Windows 10. Does anyone know if this is normal for LatencyMon on a Win10 system?
2015/11/22 01:42:00
robert_e_bone
Many folks have HUGE DPC latency spikes coming from their WiFi adapters/drivers, and for them, the easy fix is to go into Windows Device Manager just before launching Sonar, and disabling the WiFi (NOT uninstall, just disable).  Then launch your Sonar session, and when done and Sonar is closed, go back and Enable the WiFi again, and all should be fine.

Now, the above is predicated on their BEING a WiFi adapter on your computer.  It may not have one, in which case the above does not apply.

It looks like your computer model is a desktop, so unless you added a WiFi adapter, it likely didn't come with on.

That aside, I would suggest you change your Windows Power Management Options, so that you are always set to run on the High Performance power settings, AND you further go into the Advanced Settings for the High Performance Power Plan and: 1) find the option and expand it for USB Selective Suspend, and make sure that you do NOT allow Windows to selectively suspend USB devices.  2) Also in those options, find the one that sets the Minimum CPU Processor State and set it to 100%, so that it always runs at full capacity.  3) set the options so that your hard drive NEVER turns off (set it to 000 minutes and it will see that as Never), and do NOT let Windows ever put your computer into Sleep Mode or Hibernate.  Save those changes to that power plan.

I would also suggest you go into Windows Device Manager, and pull up the properties for your Network Interface Card (your ethernet adapter), and also there make sure under the Power Management tab remove the check for the option that lets Windows turn that device off to save power.

Are any of your hard drives capable of going 'Green', meaning do they have variable speeds?  If so, those can goof things up for Sonar.

Please review and try out the above, and post back with the results, and I will dig into things deeper in the morning, after getting some sleep.  Others may have different and/or better ideas in the meantime.

We should be able to get you squared away.

One last thing - is your current Sonar Driver Mode set to ASIO for your audio interface?  If not, it should be, and are the drivers for that the most current ones available for that audio interface?

Bob Bone

2015/11/22 01:44:23
robert_e_bone
What kind of hard drives and how many of them are using, and how do you have things split among the drives? (OS and applications on one drive, Sonar projects on another, sample libraries on a 3rd drive, whatever)

Bob Bone

2015/11/22 01:52:00
arachnaut
It is normal for Latency Mon to report Windows 10 as Windows 8.
A Core i7 at your speed and with 8GB of memory should scream.
The NDIS data looks excessive indicating a network issue.
Try disabling all the network interfaces at least temporarily.

2015/11/22 14:22:18
Grizzlylip
I created a checklist of things to try based on your comments above.  I am sitting down now to take a crack at it.  Thanks everyone!  I should have an update within the next few hours.

By the way, thanks for the link Scook!  I tried Imgur and Postimage but was not able to upload, and therefore post; the screenshot.  Granted, I was already super irritated by the drops outs at the time so I didnt really exercise my full range of patience during the attempt.  I will revisit later.  So far, none of the replies have requested the latencyMon drivers tab screenshot, so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself anyhow.
2015/11/22 15:20:01
Grizzlylip
I forgot to mention, I added your questions to the checklist and plan to clarify and respond for each.  I can answer that I use ASIO and that I do not intentionally split between hard drives.  I should further note that this computer is for recording and mixing only.  No kids, no games, nothing but SONAR and NI. 

Oh, and I think I figured out the screenshot (thanks Scook!).  Here goes nothing...

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account