• Computers
  • Camera light stays on when PC and monitor are turned off?
2015/11/30 15:36:52
jbow
Is this something I should worry about? It sort of bugs me so I drape a towel over the camera lens. It is a DAW running W-8 and a Planar 32" touchscreen. I don't understand why the little green light stays on when the PC and monitor are turned off. I deactivated the camera once and IIRC it was off for a while, I really have no use for the camera and would just permanently disable it but I'm s paranoid I worry that even if I disable it... it may still be on. I don't trust anything wireless and nothing online.
Anyway, is this anything to worry about?
Thanks,
J
2015/12/01 05:16:56
Jim Roseberry
Not to worry...
One of the motherboard's USB2 headers includes power when the machine is off.
This is to allow charging phones/tablets/etc.

If you find it overly annoying, give me a call... and I can talk you thru connecting to a different USB2 header (which doesn't supply power when off).
2015/12/01 07:41:09
gswitz
I have my monitor and interface on a power strip I turn off when not in use.

You can also disable the camera in the device manager. You can always enable it when you want to use it.
2015/12/01 13:42:57
Starise
Just to be safe I would wear my clothes in the studio if I were you 
2015/12/01 14:18:31
tlw
If you're referring to a camera built in to the PC or monitor it might be possible to disable it in BIOS. Otherwise disabling it in device manager should do the trick, unless your PC has been so thoroughly hacked that someone else has remote access to an adminstrator account and device manager.

And if that's the case you have far larger problems than the camera LED not going out...

If it's a "real" camera that's connected via USB just dismount and unplug it. As Jim says, some USB ports remain active when the computer is sleeping, either for charging devices or so a USB mouse/keyboard or LAN/Wifi adaptor can wake the computer when something else on the LAN tries to access resources on it.
2015/12/04 08:30:15
Guitarhacker
It's just the NSA... no problem there..... <<<, hopefully that's a joke.... have you been posting anti-government political comments on facebook by chance?

Use some black electrical tape  over the lens and the light..... no worries that someone somewhere, in a basement in Russia, or the CIA is setting there watching you. 

Stranger things have happened.
2015/12/06 18:53:03
jbow
Guitarhacker
It's just the NSA... no problem there..... <<<, hopefully that's a joke.... have you been posting anti-government political comments on facebook by chance?

Use some black electrical tape  over the lens and the light..... no worries that someone somewhere, in a basement in Russia, or the CIA is setting there watching you. 

Stranger things have happened.

I know, right... getting tape!

J
2015/12/08 17:55:28
kennywtelejazz
^^^ ^^^
Yep , it may be time for me to change the tape covering my camera . It's getting kinda old .

Kenny
2015/12/14 17:40:52
Beepster
The tape will keep the NSA from watching you do your underwear dance... but it does nothing for any onboard mics.

So make sure you are underwear dancing to MANLY music, not Britney Spears or something.

Otherwise the NSA guys are all gonna laugh at you.

They're all gonna laugh at you!!!
2015/12/16 09:14:17
ston
Note that in Win 8, 'Shutdown' does not mean shutdown i.e. 'power cycle / cold boot when starting again'.

It now sleeps rather than powers off.  This is why 'boot' times are so fast on a Win 8 and later machine.  Connected USB devices will still receive the 5v power, but obviously the driver will not be running.  So for example my USB connected audio interface's lights go out when I 'shutdown' the PC (I presume that the interface expects comms for it to be 'on'), but a different A/B USB cable which has daft lights in the plugs (yes, I should have read Amazon's description more carefully) remains lit up when the PC is 'off'.

Which begs the question, how do you turn a Win 8 PC or laptop off?  Well, you have to completely remove the power from it, incl. the battery in the case of a lappy.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account