• Computers
  • Fed up with Windows 10. Mac question (I'll keep my DAW offline and on Windows)
2015/12/21 23:04:53
jbow
I'm going to move to a MacBook ASAP, probably sometime in the spring. I've had it with Microsoft and their mandatory updates BUT before I jump, does Apple force you to update? I'll use the MacBook for regular computer stuff like email, surfing around places like here, probably give Logic a look but will stick with Studiocat and Sonar but offline and I may stay on 8.1, no email, no surfing, no antivirus on the DAW. I only use CCC and go to vendors like XLN, TT, IK, etc. I keep it as lean as possible.Jim makes a good machine, I don't want MS messing it up. If I move to W-10 on it I'm taking Jim's advice and making a drive image first (well, I'm doing that anyway but still).
I've really had it with MS and their arrogance. So, will I be in the same boat with a MacBook or will they let me decide when or if to update?
Also, is there anyway to run any version of Sonar on a Mac? I don't guess it matters, I can use Dropbox if I do anything on it that I want to move to my DAW. MS makes me feel like I am dealing with a government agency.

Any advice from Mac users is appreciated, I know a couple of people here who use a MacBook and like it a lot but I really know nothing about it. I know Apple does not force me to update my iPhone.
Been one of those days. Had to roll back 1511 and in the process I realized that W-10 had turned off Norton. It had not scanned since 9/29/15... that is a bridge too far. Yes, I should have paid closer attention but it has always worked. They are always changing things, they turn things back on I had turned off, this last update removed a program... too much for me.

Thanks,
J
2015/12/22 09:28:22
Jim Roseberry
Hi JBow,

FWIW, The grass really isn't greener on the other side.  
Have you read about the El Capitan OSX update and the many related issues?

If you're offline, you don't have to worry about unwanted Windows 10 updates.
When it's time to get up-to-date, connect and download/install updates.

Apple doesn't "force" you to update your iPhone... but if you don't keep up with the OS updates, at some point your apps stop functioning (or functioning properly).  This has happened to my step-daughter numerous times.
She's got an older iPhone 4 and an older MacBook Pro.

Apple presents their products nicely packaged and designed to "simplify" the end-user experience.
That "simplification" comes at the expense of doing things Apple's way.
Apple maintains tight control over their users by forcing you to use iTunes to update/backup and move data.
ie:  What should be a simple drag/drop operation to move songs around is (IMO) a PITA using iTunes.
If I want music on my Galaxy S6, I connect to a computer via USB... and drag/drop the desired songs.

2015/12/22 10:03:31
finstah99
Mac won't force you to upgrade to El Capitan but it will display in the App Store as the top listed update. I have 1 MBP on El Capitan and one with Yosemite. Yosemite is much more stable. Also, do NOT run El Capitan if you use Adobe products.

Sonar is Windows based so if you want to run on a Mac you need a VM (Virtual Machine) or Bootcamp to install Windows, which kinda leaves you with the same problem. Can't speak for Sonar but I've had some issues with Windows software buggin' on my VM Mac.

I too have Windows 10 in my studio and I'm just as fed up as you. Constant issue with Realtek drivers and the annoying buzz/static noise. Going to wipe it and create a fresh Win 8.1 install.

Just to add, you can tighten things up privacy and update wise in Win 10 settings.
2015/12/22 10:14:23
JonD
Hey J, hope you're doing well.

I'm not on Windows 10 (still on Win 8.1 - rock-solid here), but I'm sure I've read that the auto-update can be disabled.  You should look into that.  Certainly a much less drastic - not to mention cheaper - alternative than going to a Mac. 
2015/12/22 10:31:34
kennywtelejazz
Hey jbow,

I had a friend of mine who managed a local music shop give me his i Mac for Christmas around 5 years ago .
He was looking to get a brand spanking new one and he knew that I was hounding him to death on switching over to a Mac , he knew I didn't have any money ,  so I was grateful he did that for me ...
A week later I gave him my favorite Jazz Guitar for Christmas ...he freaked
While I was standing there in the store one of his salesman Jake was drooling all over the guitar looking like a male Bambi caught in the headlights and I said to him , here this ones for you and I gave him a Fender Squier 51 guitar that I had customized to the hilt  ...he also freaked   
....................What a great Christmas ..................I wish they were all like that .......this one sure ain't

Any way that's how I got my i Mac . I have used it for everything from music to all around general computing ...
I'm very happy with it , I love the OS , it has full versions of Logic and a number of other Music programs .
Core Audio is Great , none of the hassles of dealing with the typical setups for music that I have had to do on my Win Machines ....during this whole time I used my XP w SONAR 6 PE and 2 years ago I went with a Win 8 64 bit and upgraded to X3 , then recently SPlat ....
Win 8 I'm pretty happy with and I bought a Win 10 computer w Win 10 pre installed ...
The Win 10 machine runs nice , but it is giving me a couple of headaches along the lines of some that you have mentioned ....
I honestly hope that Win 10 gets its act together and learns to behave , I'm willing to give it time ...
Like you my main computer is a Win 8 64 and I hope to be able to put Win 10 on it ....
my mind is made up that I won't anytime soon because the is plenty of time and only if things get better w Win 10 in the next few months will I even consider doing that OS upgrade ...
I picked up another Mac , a Macbook that a guy was looking to sell because he had bought his daughter a brand new one for college .
I don't know what to say to you , I love SONAR and I'm updated on my Win 64 machines ....I go online to update
I just don't care for Windows If it was not for SONAR and Samplitude Pro x 2 I would be long gone ...

If eventually you do decide to get a Mac at some point you may be surprised to know that a lot of the music programs you are familiar with will be just like what you are used to in Windows ..
My iMac has Addictive drums  , Melodyne , Addictive Keys , Amplitude , Sample Tank , Sample Tron , Sonic Synth, the other one Philwhatever the orchestral one, Z3ta +2 , Harrsion Mixbus 3 , Abelton Live 9 ,the full version of  Vandal and a bunch of other Crap I'm used to using in Windows ...
the programs , synths , plugs all act the same as what I am used to in both operating systems with the exception of not getting constantly interrupted all the time like what happens in Windoze 

Then there is all the stuff that is Mac only ...ex Logic and a few other nice DAW's 
The vibe is totally different in OSX , it's peaceful and nobody is trying to force any $hit on me ...
anyway I don't want to get into a Mac VS PC thing with anybody ....please respect that I'm just rapping w a bud ..
Me personally I'm not gonna boot camp my Macs , if I was I would probably do Win 7  ...
I like things the way they are
anyway I don't know if I was any help to you ...
I hope you eventually get one even if it's like what I have a few years old ...they last a long time if you treat them nice
they may seem expensive , yet all the programs they come with are very good ...
also the app store has a few nice ad ons at decent prices ...any thing I got there in the app store I can putt on all my computers

any way nice talking with you ,

Kenny
2015/12/22 10:41:17
finstah99
Personally if you're going to get a Mac, use it as a Mac. Keep the PC too, 2 machines are better than 1. :)

Here are 2 links to help setup your Win 10 privacy and updates.

2015/12/22 10:54:11
ampfixer
The majority of windows updates are just definition files for the MS virus prg. They used to be silent but now they are announced by windows and it happens twice every 24 hrs for me. The windows OS has had very few actual updates.

I think jumping to a new platform will simply give you new issues, but it's your nickel. I love the demo of Logic at the music store but I wont support Apple just to access one program. The Apple business model is a much more expensive route. Updates to hardware seem to be a mandatory thing.

Whatever you do, I hope you continue to hang out here. We could call you Rain II
2015/12/22 12:13:13
Starise
I have thoughts like this too. Didn't make sense in my case. As Jim mentioned the grass really isn't greener, different maybe but not greener. Apple has had its share of problems lately. Still a good platform. If I were in the Windows camp already setup I can't see the point. 

I just held my nose and went with Windows 10. There are workarounds to the issues. 

I don't know your situation so understand that I'm not necessarily pointing this at you. I think in some cases the new OS is going into machines that it probably shouldn't be going into. 

There are some great people here that I'm sure can help you to get through the issues. Walk you through it. Worst case...hook up remote control and let one of us jump on your machine and make a few adjustments. People you trust of course.... don't worry we will leave all the coffee house posts intact  
2015/12/22 14:08:22
kennywtelejazz
One of these days I sure  hope to afford one of Jim's computers until that day arrives I can say
The grass is greener for me and I 'm happy to mow the lawn .
I got 2 brands of grass seed for your consideration  Core Audio and Apogee
That's what I run nowadays ...outside of Windows ..
Sorry I don't have the clips to prove it yet ...the difference is mind blowing
I have 5 machines , 3 are Windows , one is custom built for me  and 2 are Mac's
I will admit that Windows 10 is handling audio better than XP, 7 and 8 did , it is certainly getting there ...
It is very possible if I drop Mac Pro type of bread and buy one of our respected computer builders computers custom made I may sing a different tune ...
I hope someday a Win machine can give CORE Audio a run for it's money w out have to drop car prices to get there .

Anyway I know that is not what this thread is about ...I know this thread is about supporting jbow ....

Maybe I'm just plain old stupid , because I think everybody should have to opportunity to create music on both platforms.
Windows and OSX ..
I don't give 2 $hits about what anyone on line has to say if don't use both platforms .
How can they know if they only use one and never used the other long enough to get fluent w it ....
Use them both . Find out what works best for you ...
Where I come from that's the only way you will ever have the wisdom to know and be comfortable with the difference

Kenny

PS I happen to Love SONAR much more than I love Logic and that is the only reason why I am still here .
2015/12/22 14:44:03
Starise
Jim Roseberry

Apple doesn't "force" you to update your iPhone... but if you don't keep up with the OS updates, at some point your apps stop functioning (or functioning properly).  This has happened to my step-daughter numerous times.
She's got an older iPhone 4 and an older MacBook Pro.

Apple presents their products nicely packaged and designed to "simplify" the end-user experience.
That "simplification" comes at the expense of doing things Apple's way.
Apple maintains tight control over their users by forcing you to use iTunes to update/backup and move data.
ie:  What should be a simple drag/drop operation to move songs around is (IMO) a PITA using iTunes.
If I want music on my Galaxy S6, I connect to a computer via USB... and drag/drop the desired songs.

I ran into this exact same thing. My wife never updates her phone OS. We waited a bit too long and now it doesn't have enough memory to update. She has the iPhone 5 ..so we aren't talking an old phone here. I OTOH have been updating my OS regularly and all has been well there. We both have iPads. Mine has run out of memory. The memory is even too low to update the OS and apps on it. My wife's iPad is the same way. Lesson- Don't buy a 16gb apple anything. They want you to plug into iTunes and buy space on the Apple cloud to store your apps/data. What use is a smart phone that half of the apps need to be in the cloud or on a computer?
So I bought these android tablets for Christmas gifts. Nice ones with memory card slots. I have since found out that at least two of the four I bought won't be needed because the recipients don't want/need one....this might be a crossing over point to android for me 

I've used Apple computers awhile back. I can't really claim to be an experienced Mac user. If the computer experience is anything like the ipad/iphone experience I wouldn't touch a Mac. The only saving grace for me has been that I bought a 64gb iPhone..so that device hasn't exceeded it's memory capacity.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account