• Software
  • What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? (p.2)
2017/11/25 19:49:04
Eddie TX
husker
They are selling their Full Studio pack for $99.  Is this a good deal?

Oh yeah, I just noticed this at Audio Deluxe. The Integral pack is a big box o' fun. This is the lowest price you're likely to see.

Mind you, these plugins aren't necessarily state-of-the-art. Most are past their prime, frankly. But there are some gems in there -- the Pulse-Tec and All-Tech EQs, Magnetic II, Echoes, all the Blue Tubes stuff ... enough to keep you busy for a while.

Note that this bundle does not include the newer Nomad plugs like Cosmos, Bus Driver, or Analog Studio Rack. You can get those separately at good prices right now, though.

Cheers,
Eddie

2017/11/25 19:50:39
batsbrew
i purchased Waves Diamond bundle.

lots of choices there.

2017/11/25 20:06:22
Eddie TX
dubdisciple
I am looking for something similar to concrete limiter

Lots of good options for limiters -- Waves L2 has been the studio standard for years, and it's dirt cheap right now. 

Other contenders include Toneboosters Barricade, HoRNet Magnus, and Vladg Limiter No. 6. 

There's also a pretty good limiter in the free bundle from eaReckon. I'd check that one out first, as it might just be all you need in a simple track/bus limiter.

Cheers,
Eddie
2017/11/25 21:36:15
dubdisciple
Eddie TX
dubdisciple
I am looking for something similar to concrete limiter

Lots of good options for limiters -- Waves L2 has been the studio standard for years, and it's dirt cheap right now. 

Other contenders include Toneboosters Barricade, HoRNet Magnus, and Vladg Limiter No. 6. 

There's also a pretty good limiter in the free bundle from eaReckon. I'd check that one out first, as it might just be all you need in a simple track/bus limiter.

Cheers,
Eddie

I have several if those. Maybe i need to delve deeper into those. I think concretw was go to on busses for so long i got into routine. I did grab softube drawmer s73 . That might also work
2017/11/25 21:41:10
dubdisciple
Eddie..ps, thanks for suggestions
2017/11/26 15:44:13
Resonant Serpent
Between Slate plugs, and the stock Cubase plug library (which is excellent), I load specialty plugs like Doppler from Waves. I consider the stock plugs in Studio One and Cubase to be of a better quality than the Sonar plugs.
2017/11/26 16:26:51
bitflipper
Cakewalk did me a favor by dragging their feet in the early days, concentrating on core functionality rather than add-ons.

Because SONAR lacked a limiter, I became an Ozone user. Because it lacked a dynamic equalizer, I discovered MAutoDynamicEQ. Because it lacked a quality drum sampler, I bought Superior Drummer. Melodyne Studio, all the FabFilter stuff, Valhalla, the bottomless pit that is Kontakt - these things followed because they filled a need that Cakewalk hadn't addressed well. By the time ProChannel came along, I was already using other things.

I would miss the BT Oilcan echo. I've got a great many delays, but none that are quite like it. TTS-1 is another. I don't use it often, but it's something for which I have no replacement, either at hand or in mind.

For tape emulations, there are many alternatives. The old Reelbus from Toneboosters is a good one, and cheap. If you have Ozone Advanced, don't overlook its tape emulator, which is more configurable than most.

One of the best SONAR-only plugins is the Adaptive Limiter. But FabFilter Pro-L is a suitable replacement for that.

Many of Cakewalk's non-ProChannel plugins won't require replacement, as they are portable to another DAW. CA-2A, Boost11, VX-64 Vocal Strip, even my beloved Channel Tools - all work in Mixcraft (which is what I've been using to test portability).

2017/11/26 16:47:16
pwalpwal
there's nothing like tts-1 for throwing downloaded midi files at

2017/11/26 16:56:31
pwalpwal
for a limiter i always throw wavearts finalplug on the master as a precaution on every project, and their powersuite is a great set of bread'n'butter plugins (covering the sonitusfx stuff pretty much)

2017/11/26 16:56:59
tlw
I’ve been through the process of finding replacements for SOnar plugins for a while, following a decision to switch entirely to Macs and not being entirely happy with what comes with Logic.

So bearing in mind the VST may not be quite the same as the AU version of a plug:-

Cake’s 1176 comp - Waves CLA1176
CA-2A - Waves CLA-2A (Cakewalk’s emulation comes as an AU version which I have and in some ways prefer, but it’s tied to the Cake installer/authoriser so no idea how long it will last of course).
Concrete Limiter - Waves L2. d16’s Frontier is well worth a look as well, sounds very good but isn’t necessarily a good “last thing when mastering” plug.
Chorus/Phasing/Flanging/bit rate reduction - d16.
Delays - PGP Echo, Bozdigital Imperial.
Reverbs - Waves Abbey Road Plate, Valhalla, Eventide (all the Eventide stuff is excellent), Soundtoys LittlePlate (very good indeed at a lighter cpu load than the Waves Plate)..
Tape emulation - Waves Abbey Road J37.
Console emulation - Waves NLS is probably nearest equivalent to the Sonar PC one. There are also loads of complete channel-strip emulations around, other than ones with a strong character like the Waves Abbey Road stuff they tend to be similar as far as I can tell.
BozDigital’s +10dB is very good.
EQ - the Quadcurve eq’s emulation functions go beyond the “default eq” most DAWs have. Replacing that with something that has the emulation curves but also the graphical interface is tricky. I’ve ended up with a bunch of Neve/SSL and Pultec emulators but they do lack the number of bands and versatility of the Sonar one.

I guess I’m mostly using stuff from Waves, Bozdigital, Soundtoys and d16 overall. With Waves in particular I’ve been picking stuff up as it goes on sale at more sensible prices than the full price.

For a TH3 replacement all I can suggest is to get the full version. I don’t use amp emulators much and they’re very much a matter of personal taste as well so no suggestions there.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account