• Software
  • What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? (p.5)
2018/02/18 05:34:53
Jeff Evans
MakerDP+1. IMO it is far and away better in every respect than any of the ProChannel stuff or anything else bundled with SONAR or S1.

You have sort of missed the point here.  Studio One is lean and they purposefully only give you a minimum number of included plug-ins. e.g. some basic furniture to sit on.  The whole idea is you actually furnish the house with your own desired furniture. e.g. Waves Scheps Omni Channel.  Takes care of the whole Sonar Pro Channel thing in one hit and it is better anyway.

Sonar had way too many plug-ins included.  Many of them average to say the least.

Same with Virtual instruments.  Studio One give you 5 really useful ones but the idea is you add you own to taste. Which is what many do anyway.  It is awesome that you can take Studio One in any direction you want in terms of effects and virtual instruments.

2018/02/18 06:07:51
MakerDP
What did I miss? I am agreeing that SOC is a major upgrade to the ProChannel and S1's strips.

I think we are saying the same thing... that's kinda the point of plugins... you pick and choose what works best for you.
2018/02/18 06:25:59
backwoods
great thing about prochannel is negligible cpu hit. I don't know of any other daw that has a better easy access eq than Quadcurve. Ableton has Glue compressor which is cool as it is regarded as maybe the best vst compresssor
2018/02/18 06:40:17
Jeff Evans
The point I think I was trying to get across was Sonar had a lot of bundled plugins whereas Studio One does not. They don't seem too concerned about it because I think they know many will be installing what they want.  So its a bit unfair to compare Sonar and Studio One on that front.  Different philosophies.  

Fat Channel by the way is very nice now (had a complete revamp in a recent update)  and has got some nice EQ's and compressors included.  Also the Presonus channel strip Add-ons e.g. RC500 and VT1 are also very good as well.  Not cheap though, I actually won them in a competition.

Yes Scheps OC is great though for sure.  Love it too.  It is a little CPU hungry as well.  So you wont be able to use it on every track and buss and have every module switched on either.  But the good news is CPU hit is reduced as you turn off unused modules within.

A good combination might be either bundled plugins on tracks (Fat Channel included here) and Scheps OC on buses. 

2018/02/18 07:34:11
Sycraft
Well let's see:

• BT Stuff: Never used it, I didn't like the interface and the sound. For general plugins like that I mostly use Waves Gold, and the built in Cubase plugins.
  • TH3: I use Amplitube 4 instead for the most part. I do own the full TH3, but I like Amplitube 4 and were I having to spend money on one or the other now, it'd be Amplitube no question.
  • Breverb: Never used it much, I really like the built in Cubase algo verb though for that kind of thing.
  • TTS-1: I got Soundcanvas VA, which is more or less a direct replacement being a Roland setup.
  • Adaptive Limiter: I'd like to have it back but my go-to limiter has long been IK's Stealth Limiter.
  • Sonitus Plugins: Again never used them much, used Waves Gold instead.
  • Dimension/Rapture: Never used them much either, I have Komplete which covers what they do more or less and that is the way I'd go were I spending again.
  • Console Emulator: I don't use it, I really don't like it.
That's been my replacements personally. In general, I'd say get a DAW and try what they have first, if you don't already own something you like. Many come with highly competent plugins. Like in general I'd say Cubase's included plugins are slicker than what Sonar had. Not necessarily sonically superior, but slicker interface, easier to use, etc.

So once you have your new DAW, see how you like what they have first, then compile a list of what isn't working for you and go shopping.
2018/02/18 20:58:29
abacab
Jeff Evans

A good combination might be either bundled plugins on tracks (Fat Channel included here) and Scheps OC on buses. 

That's an interesting suggestion! 
2018/02/19 03:26:21
emwhy
You have to download a shell "wrapper" and drop it your vst folder. It will make most of your DX stuff look like vsts to another app. Some won't work like the Sonitus compressor and gate because they use side chaining. The Pentagon synth tends to crash in some apps, but most of your DX plug-ins that aren't locked to SONAR will work as vsts.

Here's a post on it from another forum with a link to download:

http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/shell2vst.zip 

this converts all installed dx plugins to valid vst plugins. 
there's an exe in the zip and a dxshell.dll/dxishell.dll. just drop the appropiate dll onto the exe and there's a folder created at the same location the exe is placed. in that folder are the created vst versions. just copy the vst versions into your vst plugin folder where your host will find them. beware, this procedere converts _all_ dx plugins, make sure you just copy the ones you need to your vst plugin folder. however, there might be plugins that refuse to work if they're strictly bound to a specipic host (i.e. some plugs by cakewalk don't work, they are giving you the appropiate message when you try to load them). also beware that, if you have waves plugins installed, these are dx plugins by nature, they'll be converted, too. 
other than these minor issues this worked flawless for me.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account