• Software
  • Reaper's M:B:T resolution of sample values different to Sonar's? (p.2)
2018/02/21 04:20:02
sharke
I have the ticks/quarter note set to 960 in both programs. 
2018/02/21 09:58:27
The Maillard Reaction
2018/02/21 10:24:40
azslow3
Jeff Evans
It does not really matter that much. For example Studio One's internal midi resolution is way higher than both of these programs mentioned here.

Is Studio One internal MIDI resolution specified in MHz?

2    That the program, when quantising is switched off in fact records very faithfully the timing you put in at the time. Either against the click or not and that includes all subtle human timing. (Studio One excels at this BTW) I am also referring to a very good player here, not an average player.

I guess platinum MIDI cable for $500 is required to catch that subtle human timing.  All other MIDI cables are physically unable transmit information with 960 ppq precision 

For the topic. I think Reaper shows beats as a "float" number, not the number of ticks.
Since it is possible to have different tpq items inside one project, I do not see other logical solution.

Sonar always use fixed point ticks at 960 tpq (so the resolution is, 1/65536 of one tick at 960 tpq) for MIDI timing.
Reaper does not support "subticks". But support much higher tpq then 960 and so can achieve the same precision.
2018/02/21 11:14:03
Jeff Evans
This might help:

http://answers.presonus.com/6747/shortest-midi-quantization-in-studio-one

This is about external synths too BTW. Sonar's midi timing becomes poor when the audio side of the program is under heavy load.  You may not hear this with one synth playing  (and the the audio load is not maxed out)  but when there are many synths playing and the parts are fast and complex  (and the audio is under heavy load)  it certainly becomes noticeable.  It seems Sonar's midi timing is somehow related to the audio side of the program.  I am not certain as to the reasons why but I have heard it.  As a drummer one is super sensitive to timing issues.  Other Sonar users have agreed with me on this as well.

Not so in Studio One.  My midi interface is running on USB but on its own PCI USB card so there is nothing else going on.  Midi timing is relentless and super tight even under heavy audio load.  With many synths playing out over multiple midi ports.  Sonar is way behind in this regard.  Most wont hear this because you need quite a few hardware synths in order to experience it and many don't own enough to put this under test. 

Quite a few have shifted over to Studio One because of its midi timing.  It was one of the main reasons I actually switched.  The gapless engine also allows you to jump midi tracks on the fly while in record (and looping) and add new midi data into the track you land on.  Sonar cannot cope with this at all.  It simply falls over.  For me this is quite a revelation.  Being able to add new material to existing parts.  There are many areas where Studio One excels midi wise.  

Haven't tested Reaper though.  It would have to match this at least in both of these areas. 
2018/02/21 13:08:48
azslow3
Jeff Evans
Haven't tested Reaper though.  It would have to match this at least in both of these areas.

The problem is... this thread is a question about Reaper 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account