• Computers
  • 250 GB SSD to 500 GB SSD Clone question (p.2)
2015/12/05 06:42:41
fireberd
I ran into many problems on Windows 8.1 when I went from a hard drive to an SSD (a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB).  I did a clone with the included Samsung program and the clone failed.  I tried the clone in Macrium Reflect (I have a paid version) and it too failed.  I tried Aomei and it too failed.   I had the software guru on the Windows 7/8 forums do some testing and his failed most of the time and his conclusion was it was a "hit or miss".   I finally did a "disc image" of my hard drive and "restored" to the SSD and it worked perfectly.

One thing to consider, when you "clone" it copies the source drive completely including bad/corrupted data blocks and even blank data blocks.  A disc image does not do this.

I tried the Samsung Magician and it reconfigured my Win 8.1 from High Performance to some modified power scheme, which I didn't want for my recording studio system. 
2015/12/05 08:26:01
Doktor Avalanche
fireberd
I tried the Samsung Magician and it reconfigured my Win 8.1 from High Performance to some modified power scheme, which I didn't want for my recording studio system. 

Yup all you do afterwards is change the power settings back (or just don't select the option when you run it). It does a lot more than that however in a good way, see previous post.

I suspect a lot of people got hung up on earlier versions of magician, the latest (I would say) is a must have.
2015/12/05 23:17:14
Doktor Avalanche
Well for the first time I ran a few Sonar projects on a dedicated SSD system. Holy cow lightning fast! And on a 4 year old PC.

However it's now pretty noticeable startup times when running Kingston and opening projects definitely could do with improvement (if it is at all possible), looks like a lot of CPU cycles going on. Start screen needs speeding up a little also. That's the only thing that stands out for me. Rest is pretty good performance wise although of course I have not used everything,
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account