2015/12/09 11:30:45
BobF
Not trying to get a religious scuffle started.  Really.  I'm 12 mos or less from a system upgrade, leaning toward a full build.

I've *always* been strictly WinTel.  I remember quite a bit of trouble on the AMD side A Long Time Ago.  Is it still advisable to stick with Intel for the best overall performance and compatibility?

I haven't even looked around yet to see if there is any real price benefit for equal performance.  If not, it's prolly a moot point anyway.
2015/12/09 12:44:59
FCCfirstclass
I have used AMD since I started building systems in the 80's, Bob.  I never had a problem then, or on my last box, which I am using,  an A10 cpu with 32G of memory.
2015/12/09 13:50:05
TheMaartian
One differentiator you may want to consider is that some of the new Intel chips support Thunderbolt 3 on-chip (Alienware is shipping a laptop with the port brought out, for example; waiting on drivers/apps for T-bolt under Windows).

http://www.techworm.net/2...derbolt-3-in-2016.html
2015/12/09 13:50:57
patm300e
I have done both, my current DAW is AMD see below.  While I don't use the MIDI instruments out the wazoo (or at all in most cases), I do process the audio.  I have been known to put Ozone 4 on multiple channels without issues.

2015/12/09 13:56:04
bitflipper
I've done both over the years. Once upon a time, there was a certain risk going with AMD, but I haven't heard of a compatibility issue in years.

My current machine is a 6-core AMD and in ten months I have yet to max it out, even with a dozen Kontakt instances plus Superior Drummer, Omnisphere, and mastering plugins going. I do, however, always run at high latency (2048 samples, as high as my interface goes).
2015/12/09 14:26:20
Leadfoot
I built two AMD computers in the early 2000's, and had troubles on both systems. In '08 I think, I built one around an Intel Q9550 Core 2 Quad, and I'm still running it today with no problems.
2015/12/09 14:43:06
Starise
The margins of performance on AMD systems are a little less than Intel systems. That probably isn't significant to you unless you are really maxing out soft synths and heavy track counts. And as Dave said he is yet to push his system to its limits.

I would read reviews from many sources for the setup you want to build. There are occasional problems with both intel and AMD hardware. There are low end AMD chips and faster better AMD cpu's....difficult to make any kind of a blanket statement about "AMD" or "Intel". 

Look at the specific hardware you want and research it.

AMD will  be less expensive . Another thing to consider is getting slightly older generation hardware saves some money, but it doesn't significantly reduce performance in DAW work. This is especially true in the case of Intel. The latest technology will always be more expensive., but even so , if you shop around it won't be significantly more expensive.
2015/12/09 14:51:19
BobF
Starise
AMD will  be less expensive . Another thing to consider is getting slightly older generation hardware saves some money, but it doesn't significantly reduce performance in DAW work. This is especially true in the case of Intel. The latest technology will always be more expensive., but even so , if you shop around it won't be significantly more expensive.

I always go a version back from the bleeding edge.  That has always been the best price/performance IME
2015/12/09 18:37:50
TheMaartian
BobF
Starise

I always go a version back from the bleeding edge.  That has always been the best price/performance IME

Back when I was a systems engineering manager for SCADA systems (Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition), I often had to counsel customers on state-of-the-present vs. state-of-the-art. Their RFPs tended to be an amalgamation of specs from new products shown at the latest trade shows.

State-of-the-present = Lower initial cost + Lower support costs + Lower failure rates

Heck of a sales pitch.

So, yeah, you're spot on.

Audio corollary: turn the volume up to "pain" and then back it off one click! 
2015/12/09 19:50:22
Rimshot
I had AMD machines for years. The one I bought last year has a nice Intel in it. I would not trade it for anything with the same power. 

You should call Jim Roseberry at Purrrfect Audio. He would tell you straight.
http://www.studiocat.com/open_cart/

http://www.studiocat.com/open_cart/
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account