• Computers
  • Best Defrag program for Windows 7
2014/09/01 23:28:03
bayoubill
Which Defrag program do you think is best? I'm using Windows Defragger but it takes forever. Any suggestions? Thanks for any info!!!
2014/09/02 03:09:11
slartabartfast
Windows 7 is set to defrag during idle periods in the background by default, and is also (as a separate operation) scheduled to run as a higher priority operation at a set time. Unless you have changed that, and assuming you are letting your machine run while it is not actively engaged in high demand tasks or during the scheduled defrag time,  it is pretty unlikely you will gain anything by defragging internal hard disks manually. You can defrag removable disks manually, or just leave them attached to the computer and add them to your schedule to run overnight.You can check the status of your disks' fragmentation by typing "disk defragmenter" into the start menu search box and clicking on the choice to open the disk defragmenter window. The % of fragmentation is shown for each disk/volume as well as the last time a scheduled run was executed. If you click the analyze button it will take a while, but give you an up to the minute update, which is primarily useful after attaching a removable drive you are concerned about. My disk defrag window almost always shows 0% fragmentation on a machine that is rarely left running overnight during the scheduled run.

http://www.techrepublic.c...t-detailed-drive-data/

2014/09/02 06:41:16
fireberd
The built in Windows defrag is all that is needed.  Years ago, before Microsoft started putting utilities or utilities that really worked in Windows there was a needed for 3rd party defrag programs.  That is not the case anymore. 

BTW, if you have an SSD, DO NOT defrag it.
2014/09/19 14:11:09
Splat
Stick with windows defrag. Get yourself a smaller hard drive and it will be quicker :)

Don't defrag more than once a month, I only defrag when I install software myself.. There are performance improvements so it is worth doing but don't get too obsessed or you will wear out your hard drive...

Make sure it is turned off though (running it automatically will slow down your DAW), you only want to start it off manually.
2014/09/19 14:16:42
Splat
(Opps looks like an old thread!)
2015/11/28 15:21:20
kitekrazy1
I use Perfect Disk by Raxco
2015/11/28 16:11:10
Doktor Avalanche
Windows defrag is fine. It is no longer an issue like the old days.
2015/11/28 16:11:37
Doktor Avalanche
Opps.. Old thread alert.
2015/11/28 20:45:55
...wicked
Auslogics Disk Defrag is what I use. Fast, easy, lightweight.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account