• Software
  • Is it just me, or is Cubase still too much? (p.2)
2018/02/14 04:52:24
abacab
I was thinking about picking up Cubase Elements for $99 just for the chord track thingy.  That, plus decent MIDI editing and basic integrated notation would be very useful for composing.

I tried the demo last year and really liked it.  I was surprised by how full featured the Elements edition is.  It may be missing some features the pro audio guys use, but for MIDI or songwriting it seems fairly complete.

Plus no dongle required for Elements.  It uses the eLicense.
2018/02/14 14:37:05
husker
I really like Cubase.  It is among the most expensive DAWs out there, but I think it is worth it.  I took advantage of the special crossgrade after Sonar went under last year.  

The USB dongle is a turnoff for sure.  What I miss about Sonar is the ability to run full SPLAT on both my work Surface and DAW computers.  No can do with Cubase.  I ended up buying a Cubase Elements to run at work.

What is nice about Cubase (and I'm sure many other DAWs out there) is simple good, current information.  Steinberg keeps good, up to date documentation, both in online and PDF formats.  In addition, there are thousands of good tutorials on YouTube (both Steinberg official and user type) that use current software.  What a change from Sonar.

I'm still a newbie (and I miss Sonar and all the help I received here), but it is really nice to use a more "mainstream" DAW.
2018/02/14 17:26:37
Cactus Music
I agree, I would go with just Elements which is well worth the $100 ( CAN) I bought mine in a music store in a box. 
It's like using Sonar Artist so does a lot for the money. That way you can see if you really like the actual software without the big investment. Then owning Elements gives you an upgrade pathway which if on the mailing list deals do come along. Plus, elements will run without the hardware e licencer dongle, there is a software version you can use. I bought the dongle anyway's and actually like the fact I can install and use Wave lab and Cubase on as many computers as I like. It's actually not a bad system if you work on different machines.  
2018/02/15 00:04:04
kitekrazy1
Crossgrade from Steinberg is $330. That's not expensive for a new DAW.  For me to keep up on my Live Suite upgrade is $299 - that's expensive.
2018/02/15 18:36:00
dubdisciple
Most DAWs are expensive relative to high performance affordable options like Reaper. The bargain conscious ( and patient) typically find a less expensive path like crossroade or uphrade from lighter version included with interface. "Too much" is a very subjective term. If you you are a working professional, even full price is a relatively small budget item. I think we are all a littlr spoiled by price of technology. When you calculate all of the studio items a DAW replaces, 599 is a bargain. Remember when a quality 4 track cassette tape was well over a thousand? Even the most cost effective hardware equivalent would cost much more. I do find Cubase costly for mt needs, but if it is the solution that allows optimal productivity it is worth it.
2018/02/15 19:16:16
Pragi
Can recommend the Cubase AI version 
which is bit larger as  LE .
I got it with the purchase of a steinberg Ur 22 mk2 , which is a very good 
mobil usb interface  for ca 120 bucks.
No need for another Cubase version here .

regards
2018/02/15 20:52:12
kitekrazy1
 I doubt anyone has paid full retail price for a DAW yet.  Last month when the Cubase crossgrade was $255, that's a serious DAW for that price.  I came close to buying it but the Samplitude bundle was hard to pass up.
2018/02/15 21:49:00
michael diemer
I agree, Cubase is a bit overpriced at 600.00. But companies charge what they want, what they think they the product is worth, and what they think they can get for it. Some are always higher than the rest, even when there is no real reason in terms of the product. It's the same in sample libraries. East West has great 50% sales. Vienna has 15% sales. And their stuff is priced higher to begin with. But they stay in business. Consumers have choices. If you have the bucks/euros/pesos etc, spend what you want and get what you want. Or if you don't, shop around. It all works out. Except when it doesn't, and a great product goes tits up (sound familiar?).
2018/02/16 03:03:45
noynekker
The move to Cubase from Sonar has been smooth for me, steep learning curve at first, but then once you dive in, you realize it does things in a similar way to Sonar, just slightly different terminology.
No more Staff View or AudioSnap blues for me.
It's a shame Sonar ceased right after they perfected their Piano Roll View . . . the Cubase PRV is good, but not as good as what the Sonar bakers came up with.

I've even been able to drag and drop midi and audio files from Sonar Platinum right into Cubase Pro, just one at a time, but still amazing.

Sure Cubase Pro version is priced higher than some of the others, but it is an established solid DAW environment.
It probably has the most advanced features available for more traditional music composers.
If your DAW usage is geared towards live music, beat looping, EDM, or just audio mixing . . . Cubase Pro may be overkill, as many other cheaper DAWs do a great job for those. (I've demo'ed many in the last few months)

For sure check out the crossgrade offer on the Steinberg site, or is that $600 AUD ? . . . not sure on the conversion.

Extra bonus is that the Cubase forum mentions ARA technology is on their front burner, and I believe Steinberg has the development resources in place to do that easily.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account