2014/12/27 11:16:10
yorolpal
I seldom need to do this but I did need to the other day and my little pea brain was sure you could do this now in Sonar (X3latest). Or did I just dream that up?

Edit: added implemented to subject - sc
2014/12/27 12:21:34
scook
Requires Duckbar
2014/12/27 12:27:20
bapu
Ah, so it can be done in SONAR. Good to know.
2014/12/27 13:01:18
yorolpal
Yup..the Duckbar reference jogged my memory. So...since there IS a way to do it with an add on....you figure the bakers will get offn their hineys and implement it anytime soon??
2014/12/27 14:19:21
Anderton
yorolpal
So...since there IS a way to do it with an add on....you figure the bakers will get offn their hineys and implement it anytime soon??

I would tend to doubt it. It's already available if someone wants it, and at least based on forum comments it doesn't seem to be a priority to most users. If lots of people expressed to Cakewalk that it was really important feature, that might change the priorities.
2014/12/28 19:22:23
randyman
I use that time (freeze/unfreeze) to get myself a drink  

2014/12/28 19:56:33
Splat
yorolpal
Yup..the Duckbar reference jogged my memory. So...since there IS a way to do it with an add on....you figure the bakers will get offn their hineys and implement it anytime soon??

Put in a feature request in the features and ideas forum (or if somebody has already done it please vote on their thread (calls no more than 20p per minute, additional network fees may be applied)).

Cheers...
2014/12/29 14:32:33
brconflict
I know I've asked for a Global freeze button (is there really a disconnection between Marketing and this forum?), so that you can play back essentially the equivalent of a stereo track, meanwhile arm and record a vocal on a new track with MUCH lower latency. Yes, you can use the PDC function to remove all plug-in latency, but this doesn't totally eliminate drop-outs. With a global freeze, you could almost remove drop-out issues completely while tracking a new vocal in an 86-track project.

Or perhaps a Global Freeze, or AllTracks-Only (not busses) Freeze.

I personally don't think this should be a demand thing, but rather a sell-able feature, something to blow PT's low-latency tracking function out of the water.
2014/12/29 14:55:28
Anderton
brconflict
I know I've asked for a Global freeze button (is there really a disconnection between Marketing and this forum?), so that you can play back essentially the equivalent of a stereo track, meanwhile arm and record a vocal on a new track with MUCH lower latency...With a global freeze, you could almost remove drop-out issues completely while tracking a new vocal in an 86-track project.

I think this will do what you want:

1. Ctrl+A
2. Tracks > Bounce to Track(s) [create a shortcut for this], hit Return. This creates your "global freeze" premix.
3. Ctrl-click on any track other than the premix, and they all archive.
4. Now un-archive the premix track and do your recording.

To "un-freeze" after you're done, ctrl-click one of the archived tracks to unarchive all of them. Note this will also archive the premix (which you want), but also archive the newly-recorded track so un-archive that before proceeding.

You can cut a step by creating a macro with AutoHotKey that does steps 1 and 2 with one keyboard command.

2014/12/29 15:08:39
brconflict
Thing is, Sonar is still having to play each track and mix all the individual tracks in real-time to busses, and then to the Master buss. So, in a large 50+ session, Sonar is still having to do so much work, you can't always (almost never) record with less buffer without drop-outs. But to have the entire mix temporarily frozen (mixed-down) to a single stereo track, or to stems, would open up so much free CPU room for Sonar. That could, in a sense, be the same as Exporting the entire project to a stereo track, opening the stereo track in a whole new project and arm Track #3.

Or, exporting Guitars, bass, Drums, keys as four individual stems to a whole new project, where you can use Tracks 5-10 to record low-latency vocals with very little risk of drop-outs at all. BUT, if you had a Global Freeze, I wouldn't have to do what I nearly always have to, described here. I could keep adding tracks to my session and breach even 100+ tracks with no sweat.

Sheesh, maybe even allow buss-freezing, where-by the function would mix/freeze all the individual tracks to the buss, so that those tracks don't play, but rather a mixdown, controlled by the buss fader alone.

The general idea is to get the massive intense CPU processing out of the way while trying to track additional overdubs. Currently, there is no excellent way to do this, and/or Sonar really isn't built to handle more than 20-30 tracks (my perception).
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account