2015/07/28 16:30:12
ampfixer
There are some features that I set the same for all my work. Meters are a perfect example. But meters are a per project preference and adjusting the settings is real easy but very cumbersome. It would be nice if we had the ability to define preferences as either per project or global, and have those settings persist for all projects.

This is one step above using a template. I know I can create a template.
2015/10/15 16:17:45
M@
Voted.
I too feel it would be more useful if below settings (amongst others) were set globally.
(Any changes made during a project are of course saved within the project.)

*Metronome: Count in / use audio or midi / beat subdivision
*Meters: RMS + Peak,  dB range, hold peak
*Recording:  Multitrack grouping

Does anyone know of a way to make these settings global and stay as I set them  (apart from using a template).
Maybe some entries in any of the .ini files??
2015/10/15 16:22:22
BobF
... including audio/MIDI devices.

I would love to have device settings per project/template.  When I'm using the R24, use the R24 interface and have those settings remain in the project.  Same with GT-001, etc.

2015/10/17 02:27:15
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Voted.

Even ASIO buffer settings should be optionally project dependent as you need it high for projects in the final mix stages and low in those where you are e.g. scratch tracking with amp sims ...

Simple solution (for the user at least, not the programmer): instead of a single [APPLY] button have 2: [APPLY to project] and [APPLY globally] ...
2015/10/17 09:55:03
BobF
FreeFlyBertl
Voted.

Even ASIO buffer settings should be optionally project dependent as you need it high for projects in the final mix stages and low in those where you are e.g. scratch tracking with amp sims ...

Simple solution (for the user at least, not the programmer): instead of a single [APPLY] button have 2: [APPLY to project] and [APPLY globally] ...

I've discussed having two buffer settings with a toggle with the bakers in the past.  Unfortunately, the buffer settings are done inside the ASIO driver.  Different buffers can potentially be requested, but honoring these requests is not standard among all of the various interface drivers.

Having two numbers set in Preferences would be very cool though.
2015/10/22 22:10:06
Notecrusher
This is such a simple but great idea. It's so hard to remember which settings are global and which are project and I'm always getting tripped up. Doesn't really seem intuitive either. Why not just make EVERY setting (unless it's unfeasible) global w/ a per project option.
2015/10/23 00:27:38
Doktor Avalanche
Only way I can see this happen is hierarchical.
Global settings are set in preferences.
When a project or template is created those settings are inherited.

Then these settings can be overriden by the user and saved in project or template for next time.

Of course some settings you would not want to store that in a project, your audio interface settings for instance. Projects need to be portable across environments.
2015/10/23 08:01:47
Doktor Avalanche
More I think about this more I'm wondering how it's going to be in practice. I look at say how MS Word stores config in documents as an example.

If I'm exchanging documents with another user, that user does not want to inherit my workflow and preferences they want to use their own.

I do agree it's time for a shakeup in preferences, there seems to be some functionality that appears to be in the wrong place and could be moved..

Another thing that could make life easier is to be able to import/export preferences and have multi user profiles to accomodate.
2015/10/23 08:25:07
BobF
Doktor Avalanche
Only way I can see this happen is hierarchical.
Global settings are set in preferences.
When a project or template is created those settings are inherited.

Then these settings can be overriden by the user and saved in project or template for next time.

Of course some settings you would not want to store that in a project, your audio interface settings for instance. Projects need to be portable across environments.

My take is the opposite with regard to interfaces.  I have several devices with interfaces.  It would be great to have the interface options stored per project so the correct device is opened as I move between or revisit projects.

I really hate to invoke "the other DAW example" here, but the portable install option this other DAW has is a HUGE plus in this area.  Install as many copies on the same machine as you have devices, each configured accordingly.

I don't see Sonar ever having a portable install option, but per project audio hardware setting would REALLY REALLY nice AFAIC.
2015/10/23 08:51:30
pwalpwal
usually, "global" settings are for the application itself (sonar e.g., VST folder location), while "per-project" settings are for the project/document (sonar e.g., snap settings); if there is overlap, the project settings override the global setting
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account