• Computers
  • Windows 10 update today... trouble. KB3093266
2015/10/01 16:32:45
jbow
I had a notice today that I needed to schedule a re-start, I went ahead and re-started. After that Start Menu would not work and gave me a "Critical Error" message, that I need to log out and they would try to fix it when I logged back in... NOT. Action Center also would not open. I don't know what else wasn't working. I found the update: KB3093266 and uninstalled it, still not working.
Thankfully Control Panel still worked and I was able to do a System Restore to 9/23/15, then I ran Malwarebytes. Things seem OK now.
So, I am not certain that the update was the culprit. I had been on FB a little bit too but that usually only makes me mad, it doesn't break my computer.
So beware. Be sure you have a restore point just in case. I know if you run CCCleaner, you likely will lose your restore points, so beware.
It took several hours for all this, the sys restore took forever.

Anyway... I hope it was just my computer.

J
2015/10/01 16:50:01
Doktor Avalanche
Are you on the slow ring in windows update advanced settings?
2015/10/01 16:55:33
TheMaartian
I installed that update this morning with no problems whatsoever. Sorry for yours.
2015/10/02 06:00:43
cclarry
I noticed yesterday that mine was scheduled to be installed overnight...
I let it....and it's working fine.  Don't know what happened on your
end J, but I've sure been there before...so I feel your pain...
2015/10/02 09:03:23
Mesh
I almost reverted back to Win 8.1 last night, but this was because my built in Broadcom Network Adapter doesn't work with Win 10 (continuous internet dropouts no matter which driver I used...older, newer etc...). Since I've passed the 30 day window to revert from Win 10 to Win 8.1, I'll have to find the original Win 8 install disk/serial.

I unplugged my Ethernet cable from my ASUS RT-AC66U router and plugged it directly into my PC......was able to get internet connection for 10 min and then it dropped again (before I wasn't getting any connection). I'm looking to get a new nic card (one that has drivers for Win 10).....uggghhh.   
2015/10/02 09:39:01
Doktor Avalanche
Mesh
I almost reverted back to Win 8.1 last night, but this was because my built in Broadcom Network Adapter doesn't work with Win 10 (continuous internet dropouts no matter which driver I used...older, newer etc...). Since I've passed the 30 day window to revert from Win 10 to Win 8.1, I'll have to find the original Win 8 install disk/serial.

I unplugged my Ethernet cable from my ASUS RT-AC66U router and plugged it directly into my PC......was able to get internet connection for 10 min and then it dropped again (before I wasn't getting any connection). I'm looking to get a new nic card (one that has drivers for Win 10).....uggghhh.   

I have had exactly the same issue with broadcom (internal NIC). I found that the broadcom driver for Windows 8 worked better (on broadcoms site) than the one supplied for Windows 10.
2015/10/02 10:03:26
Mesh
Doktor Avalanche
Mesh

I have had exactly the same issue with broadcom (internal NIC). I found that the broadcom driver for Windows 8 worked better (on broadcoms site) than the one supplied for Windows 10.

Is it the x64 bit, version 17.2.0.0 (upload date 8/5/15) that you used? https://www.broadcom.com/support/?gid=9 (the 2nd one down under Drivers).

I actually downloaded the one above, but there wasn't a 'setup.exe' file included in the download (just 3 other non .exe files...IIRC) and didn't know how to use them to update the driver. Could you please post a link to the one you got?

Thanks!!
2015/10/02 10:41:36
Doktor Avalanche
That looks like it. There should be documentation included. Normally the folder gets extracted then you point to the driver in device manager/update drivers using browse..

http://answers.microsoft....4d66-9a5b-291300006293
2015/10/02 10:42:21
Doktor Avalanche
Also take note of the roll back driver option in case it goes wrong.. Backup etc..
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account