2015/11/06 09:11:52
Starise
I think disabling the internet controller is certainly helpful, although when reconnected it will simply catch up,and maybe this isn't an issue, but maybe it is. If I leave my machine disconnected from the web for a week and I plug it back in I might have 500 update files, so if a person is of a mind to do that I would make time for it to catch up, or another option might be to leave the ethernet connected and the machine running most of the time, so it can update when you're not using it. This makes Win10 Home less convenient because it decides when to update and you have no control over it. 
Some of the things I'm reading scare me about Win 10, on this site and on others, there appears to be problems with some machines when they update, as in the drivers don't communicate or are lost. In one case a user installed Win10 and configured their machine for a dedicated use. After the auto updates, the computer reverted back and lost all of those settings...scary. I'm guessing an update might be better in that if you have Win 8  the update sees and keeps certain configurations. If the install is a clean OEM, I'm not so sure since it's totally new...but there isn't much choice on a new build.

I not especially concerned about the mining so much as I don't want that process interfering with audio work or stealing valuable cpu cycles. It could work for us if we can save an image in the cloud in case there's a problem. I think I wish things were more of an option and not a forced decision from Microsoft.  I'm tempted to go the Win 8.1 route as was suggested and see if I like that.
2015/11/06 09:38:17
papacucku
MY windows 10 rig had to auto recover a while back and it took several attempts to get it back after it was done , I noticed the license was no longer valid, I put the actual number in and it said,  used to many times and gave me a number to call.  I called the number and a very sophisticated voice recognition aware system asked me a few questions and said I was cool (it all took about 5 minutes).   My license would then validate again.  It was all pretty slick so if you have a valid license I think licensing may be alright (easier then in the past).   However, I do disable my network card and AV when I use the rig as a DAW which is bout 50% of the time.   I have been on 10 home for about 6 months now and at first Adobe cloud apps didn't have all the menus, then a few weeks patches on the adobe cloud side and all seems good.  My main DAW is still win7.   If nothing is broke ......I don't know if I would go to win 10 this was a new computer for me so ..
2015/11/06 09:53:03
fireberd
I only have my system off line for the time I'm using Sonar.  May be 1 hour may be  4 hours or may be 8 hours.  But, its back on line after that. 

As far as problems, "Backup" is imperative for any PC or OS.  "Backups are not for IF they are needed but for WHEN they are needed".  I make full drive backups "images" using Macrium Reflect.  I alternate backup to two different drives, one internal and the other a USB connected drive.  If I have an unrecoverable failure I've only potentially lost a minimum of data.  I don't lose Sonar Projects as they are on a different drive than the OS drive (they are backed up too).
2015/11/06 11:37:25
Starise
papacucku
MY windows 10 rig had to auto recover a while back and it took several attempts to get it back after it was done , I noticed the license was no longer valid, I put the actual number in and it said,  used to many times and gave me a number to call.  I called the number and a very sophisticated voice recognition aware system asked me a few questions and said I was cool (it all took about 5 minutes).   My license would then validate again.  It was all pretty slick so if you have a valid license I think licensing may be alright (easier then in the past).   However, I do disable my network card and AV when I use the rig as a DAW which is bout 50% of the time.   I have been on 10 home for about 6 months now and at first Adobe cloud apps didn't have all the menus, then a few weeks patches on the adobe cloud side and all seems good.  My main DAW is still win7.   If nothing is broke ......I don't know if I would go to win 10 this was a new computer for me so ..

Yes but look what it did to you...you're a FRIGGIN ROBOT! :)) Thanks for sharing your experiences 
papakuchu! I'm not sure why you would need to re validate a license. The system must have mistaken the system recovery for a replacement.
Fireberd, Oh I see, so you only use it for a short time. Makes perfect sense. I'm glad you guys are in the know about these changes and appreciate the info. I might order a motherboard and it might fry, in which case I would be reluctant to re order the same board again....so a mobo change isn't entirely out of the question.
2015/11/06 13:35:25
TerraSin
Starise
Out of curiosity I went over to newegg and read the reviews on Win10......wow! This is enough to make me jump to a Mac. I don't like the idea that Microsoft can use my machine to mine information for whatever purpose, nor do I like the way your Win 10 machine acts as a server. They are using my paid internet connection and computer to gather info for their benefit. I want a recording machine but it looks like I'm aiding and abetting big brother. There certainly IS a reason they're giving away free upgrades.

What makes you think Mac isn't doing this stuff as well? Half the data mining done in Windows 10 is so that Cortana can work. The other half they have been doing behind the scenes since XP. The difference is that MS is now one of the only companies to come forward and be completely honest about what they are doing and how they are doing it while companies like Google, Facebook and Apple.
2015/11/06 14:20:54
Starise
Apple probably is doing it as well, but I haven't heard anything like that. Maybe someone who uses a Mac could comment? My comment was twofold. I also am getting tired of the huge changes every time a new Windows OS comes along. At least Apple seems to keep a certain consistency to what they do.

I know it won't change anything, but I wish we could at least opt and not be forced to help companies mine our data. I don't care who does or doesn't do it. If they do it ..I don't like it, but that's me....
2015/11/06 19:42:08
slartabartfast
Actually Microsoft is not doing anything close to what Apple does routinely. There are a host of things you can do to Win 10 to keep your system from just feeding the beast. If you use anything except the OS you are probably already co-operating with data mining of your computer experience. THERE IS NOTHING FREE ON THE INTERNET Every service has either found a way to charge you or market the information  you give away by using the service or both. Google...anything---you just gave Google everything. If you have a Google account for anything, you just gave them personally identifiable information. Google does no evil...it just does business. Even the US government saves $$$ by "encouraging" you to use online access instead of interacting with expensive real people...and then likely as not fails to protect your privacy from hackers. 

http://www.zdnet.com/article/is-windows-10-telemetry-a-threat-to-your-personal-privacy/
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-tries-to-clear-the-air-on-windows-10-privacy-furor/
http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-secure-windows-10-the-paranoids-guide/
http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

As far as Win 10 versions go, you have very little to gain by going Pro or by going legitimate retail vs OEM. As others have stated MS has been pretty lax about enforcing anything relating to the OEM restrictions. Unless you are some kind of computer maven like the good doctor, you are not going to know what to do if your automatic update screws you anyway. The only use most real users will find for the Pro version is a strong encryption system, and most will not even know what to do with that. If you want to run Sonar, Home is just fine. The only reason I have Win 10 Pro is that it is the only version offered as a free upgrade from windows 7 or 8, and I have a bunch of licenses for those OS's. As far as no support for OEM, well MS does not offer any really useful free support anyway, and per incident support is so expensive and generally useless, that you are better off just re-installing everything--the final step invariably suggested by a Microsoft support 'engineer" after wasting your time and money.

2015/11/09 14:16:02
bapu
Tim, I so want to be paranoid about data mining. 

Unfortunately I simply don't care that some nerd is following my VST purchases. Maybe he's jealous?
2015/11/09 15:44:07
Starise
Thanks slartabartfast. Lots of useful info in those links. 

I think there's what they tell you they will or won't do and then there's what they really do, Bapu if that's paranoid, then count me in . I tend to agree that it's mostly business driving it all. If the data eventually falls into the wrong hands though it could be bad...they might be looking for Bapu and those vsts. 

The whole internet has this feeling of security. We sit alone behind a computer and it feels personal and private. This is so misleading. I like that we can at least minimize the spyware  in settings on Win 10. If Win10 is really our last OS, then this is only the beginning.

2015/11/09 20:00:54
kitekrazy1
bapu
Tim, I so want to be paranoid about data mining. 

Unfortunately I simply don't care that some nerd is following my VST purchases. Maybe he's jealous?

All the nerd has to do is come to the deals forum and he can follow your purchases.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account