2015/11/09 20:10:06
kitekrazy1
Starise
Apple probably is doing it as well, but I haven't heard anything like that. Maybe someone who uses a Mac could comment? My comment was twofold. I also am getting tired of the huge changes every time a new Windows OS comes along. At least Apple seems to keep a certain consistency to what they do.

I know it won't change anything, but I wish we could at least opt and not be forced to help companies mine our data. I don't care who does or doesn't do it. If they do it ..I don't like it, but that's me....

Then stay away from Mac.  Their latest OS upgrade, vendors were warning not to install because 3rd party software would not work.  Sometimes it's up to Apple to decide whether your hardware becomes a doorstop.
 I have a desktop and a craptop that can't be upgraded where W10 runs fine.

People habitually runs down MS every time they do something new but in many ways it's their own fault. Apple has created sheeple where people rejoice everything that is new. When MS creates something they find a way to piss people off. 

2015/11/10 13:17:18
Beepster
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet but for those concerned about forced updates and the "always online" type crap in Win10 the Enterprise version supposedly let's you avoid all that.

You have to pay for Enterprise though no matter what. It is not one of the possible free upgrade versions like if you own Win7/8.

Enterprise editions generally have several of the more consumer components stripped out (but other business related components added). Not sure if it has the same audio benchmark improvements constantly touted around here and elsewhere but since that is likely all under the hood stuff I'm sure it would work just fine on a DAW.

/not a tech
//just a mook who did a bit of reading about the forced updates/versions
2015/11/10 15:13:43
Starise
kitekrazy1
Starise
Apple probably is doing it as well, but I haven't heard anything like that. Maybe someone who uses a Mac could comment? My comment was twofold. I also am getting tired of the huge changes every time a new Windows OS comes along. At least Apple seems to keep a certain consistency to what they do.

I know it won't change anything, but I wish we could at least opt and not be forced to help companies mine our data. I don't care who does or doesn't do it. If they do it ..I don't like it, but that's me....

Then stay away from Mac.  Their latest OS upgrade, vendors were warning not to install because 3rd party software would not work.  Sometimes it's up to Apple to decide whether your hardware becomes a doorstop.
 I have a desktop and a craptop that can't be upgraded where W10 runs fine.

People habitually runs down MS every time they do something new but in many ways it's their own fault. Apple has created sheeple where people rejoice everything that is new. When MS creates something they find a way to piss people off. 

I guess I'll stay away from Apple too...Jobs probably wouldn't be happy with it now. I'm just an old curmudgeon who needs something to be unhappy about :)OK already... I'll drink the effing koolade. Why is everything always the lesser of two evils lately? Can't buy a computer OS without a contract that hundreds of lawyers worked on to make sure they have us all by the short hairs and is loaded with spyware that you need to turn off.  I can at least get excited about how Platinum runs on the new OS and the new faster hardware, I hope :) I wish I could be one of those Winxp dudes who is happy with an outdated OS and slower hardware. I just don't want to have a failure so I'm preparing to hopefully not have one, but I still could have one.* does a facepalm*
As one  intelligent person once said in a really in depth observation, " It is what it is".

Just another thought. I keep hearing that  the 10 version of Windows is miles ahead of the older versions in how it deals with audio. Is this true if you still use the older drivers or must we use a newer dedicated  windows audio driver? How is it really better with audio? As a sidenote, some of these new motherboards have a lot of audio crap I don't really need or want.

2015/11/10 15:46:51
slartabartfast
Starise

Just another thought. I keep hearing that  the 10 version of Windows is miles ahead of the older versions in how it deals with audio. Is this true if you still use the older drivers or must we use a newer dedicated  windows audio driver? How is it really better with audio? As a sidenote, some of these new motherboards have a lot of audio crap I don't really need or want.

Windows has been trying to improve the streaming media performance for some time now, but the audio developers have been largely ignoring the improvements Microsoft has offered, and stayed with a proprietary workaround like ASIO. To take full advantage of what they are offering most software would need to be recoded, and it is pretty uncommon to find drivers even for WASAPI and WDM on most pro or prosumer level equipment. Eventually you may find some performance improvements, but maybe not for the equipment you have now. Cakewalk jumped on the bandwagon with both feet when one of the early attempts at audio performance improvements from MS was introduced. How many other developers fell into the DXi trap? Still you have to give them credit for even trying in and era where computer audio is mainly being used as a juke box.

https://msdn.microsoft.co...mt298187(v=vs.85).aspx
2015/11/11 10:43:27
Starise
Thanks slartabartfast for that info.

I decided to buy Windows 8.1 and  upgrade later. The decision was made mainly because I ordered an outboard usb 3.0 SDD/HDD transfer device that doesn't seem to work with Windows 10 judging from customer comments. After I load my OS my plan was to put my old drives into this external drive dock and copy my files onto my new drives. I can still upgrade to Win 10 free. The prices are all about the same for my version.

8.1 seems like a safer step right now, at least until I get the build completed. I might even wait just a bit longer to upgrade until some more bugs are worked out.

2015/11/11 15:09:53
Beepster
Is 8.1 even still available for sale? I thought it had been discontinued since 10 hit the market (as is usually the case when a new version is fully released).

Probably covered upthread... and I am possible (most likely) ill informed.

Edit: and the clock is ticking for how long 10 will be available for free upgrade (from 7 and 8 installs/licenses). I think we have until next summer to take advantage.
2015/11/11 17:45:03
Starise
Yes you can still buy several versions of Win 8 as of this writing. I even seen Windows 7 Home Premium for sale. I can buy Windows 8 for 99 dollars and upgrade for free. I bought the OEM version. 

I can  buy Windows 10 for the same price. I  wouldn't try to patch my old copy of Windows 7 with an upgrade if I were trying to upgrade my older computer, but you certainly can if you have legit serial numbers. My Windows 7 is an upgrade from a Vista install. The old Vista install still shows up as a  startup option although it doesn't boot up. It's a long story which involves me trying to uninstall it and failing to remove all of it. 
2015/11/11 23:03:33
kitekrazy1
W7 Home and Pro are still for sale. They are OEM licenses.  I'm not sure W10 for free is going to do it for me on my new builds.  It does work nice on older systems.

Sometimes the problem with great OS like XP and W7 is MS running out of license keys.  Why can't the do it like game developers who rebrand their games and come out with a W7HD edition or something like that. They are into the distro mode.
2015/11/11 23:03:33
kitekrazy1
W7 Home and Pro are still for sale. They are OEM licenses.  I'm not sure W10 for free is going to do it for me on my new builds.  It does work nice on older systems.

Sometimes the problem with great OS like XP and W7 is MS running out of license keys.  Why can't the do it like game developers who rebrand their games and come out with a W7HD edition or something like that. They are into the distro mode.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account