• Software
  • Udemy instructor using cracked software (p.2)
2018/02/03 21:28:45
JonD
Udemy got big in a short amount of time.  When I tried to make my first purchase from them just a couple years ago, I was surprised to discover that I couldn't pay for more than one course at a time.  An email from their support confirmed it:  There was no shopping cart, and if you wanted to buy three courses, you had to pay with three separate transactions.

They've since fixed that, but at the time I remember thinking that I had never come across such a glaring oversight in any web store page.  It meant that the owner, at least in the initial phase, saw himself selling his courses, one at a time!

As far as vetting their instructors, I don't think there is much, if any.  While some of the course instructors are well known, others are little more than enthusiasts in their given subject.  I've been a customer for going on three years, and Udemy still feels to me like a hastily-thrown-together flea market for online courses.  And just like with any flea market, the quality of goods - as well as the different stalls offering them - does vary greatly.
2018/02/03 21:38:26
Jeff Evans
I have emailed them and told them. And pointed them to this thread. What they do is up to them though I guess. I have been pretty happy with the Logic courses though. They are very thorough and well presented. I guess course quality can vary. But the Logic courses are great. So are the free Logic courses if all you want to do is get up and running for basic tracking etc..

2018/02/03 22:14:52
kitekrazy1
abacab
Well Udemy did not crack FL Studio, or distribute a cracked copy.  According to your post, a student apparently did.  And if an instructor participated, it's on the instructor. too.

One of the instructor's videos is about the VST Purity and shows you a link, takes you there, downloads it. They only thing he doesn't do is click the reg. crack because he already has it.   I also let the Purity developer know.

I posted this to the Udemy instructor:

"Pay for your software.  Should I screen capture your work so others can see it for free?"

His reply:

"Surel, you have my permission to waste your time screen capturing whatever you please(: As long as those "others" who are passionate about FL Studio learn something "NEW" from my work, that's all that matter to me."

So like not paying for software?
2018/02/03 23:16:31
TheSteven
kitekrazy1
abacab
Well Udemy did not crack FL Studio, or distribute a cracked copy.  According to your post, a student apparently did.  And if an instructor participated, it's on the instructor. too.

One of the instructor's videos is about the VST Purity and shows you a link, takes you there, downloads it. They only thing he doesn't do is click the reg. crack because he already has it.   I also let the Purity developer know.

I posted this to the Udemy instructor:

"Pay for your software.  Should I screen capture your work so others can see it for free?"

His reply:

"Surel, you have my permission to waste your time screen capturing whatever you please(: As long as those "others" who are passionate about FL Studio learn something "NEW" from my work, that's all that matter to me."

So like not paying for software?

What they'd be posting would be the MP4 videos to YouTube or the pirate groups.
Still, he's an idiot.

If you make money off of your music - pay for your tools.
If you have a day gig and only dabble - pay for your toys.

2018/02/03 23:29:23
abacab
I think we would all agree that we should pay for our software, and that is not even really the point to discuss here.

The question is what is Udemy's responsibility for an instructor using unlicensed software, and condoning the use of cracked software in the classroom.  Clearly he is wrong if that is what is happening.

But I sincerely believe that the title of this post is a bit over the top, since Udemy is a legitimate company, and calling it a "Warning about Udemy" is a bit unfair and alarmist, based on the dubious actions of a single instructor (as far as we have evidence to conclude).  So in all fairness at this point, it should only be a warning about this particular instructor and his behavior.

A simple analogy would be blaming Uber because one driver commits a crime.  Are all Uber drivers now criminals?  SMH...

I am sure Udemy will take action in this case, but unless they get reports like this one, how is a handful of staff going to police 30,000 instructors?
2018/02/04 00:17:37
Kev999
When I was doing a course at a local technical college, one of the lecturers gave us a heads-up, saying "I'll bet that dozens of you are sharing the same copy of Microsoft Office, but don't tell me". He told us that he and his colleagues are aware that cracked software is always rife in the student community. But that students had to ensure none of this illegal software, nor any info about it, was to be shared with any of the college staff.
2018/02/04 00:43:33
sharke
I remember when my dad got his first PC sometime in the mid 90's. He knew absolutely nothing about computers so took a night class at the local college. The teacher would bring a large box of floppies and CD-ROM's of cracked versions of popular software to sell to the students after class. I guess nobody complained because apparently he'd been doing it for years. Mind you, this was the north-east of England 

When I was younger with a Commodore Amiga, everyone was pirating software. Games, tracker programs, you name it. I had a huge box of floppies of cracked games. Didn't even consider for one second that it was immoral. Besides, the cracked game scene back then was COOL! Every disc had an intro demo on it where the hackers would show off their demo skills, coding the most insanely complex 3D animations and music in sometimes just a few KB of code. You got to know the names of the hackers and you followed the scene by reading the scrolling messages. 

Cracked software these days doesn't have any of that charm  Besides, I think at some point you grow up and start feeling good about yourself for actually buying stuff fair and square. 
2018/02/04 00:57:48
kitekrazy1
abacab
I think we would all agree that we should pay for our software, and that is not even really the point to discuss here.

The question is what is Udemy's responsibility for an instructor using unlicensed software, and condoning the use of cracked software in the classroom.  Clearly he is wrong if that is what is happening.

But I sincerely believe that the title of this post is a bit over the top, since Udemy is a legitimate company, and calling it a "Warning about Udemy" is a bit unfair and alarmist, based on the dubious actions of a single instructor (as far as we have evidence to conclude).  So in all fairness at this point, it should only be a warning about this particular instructor and his behavior.

A simple analogy would be blaming Uber because one driver commits a crime.  Are all Uber drivers now criminals?  SMH...

I am sure Udemy will take action in this case, but unless they get reports like this one, how is a handful of staff going to police 30,000 instructors?

Yes Udemy can be responsible.   Sorry but the Uber thing doesn't apply. Digital rights laws are different.

It takes end users to report those issue. 

Here is the instructor's new reply.

Welcome to 2018! lol yeah that too. Look you have my blessing to screen capture so do what you have to do((: Let me know when the job is done.
2018/02/04 01:35:40
abacab
2018/02/04 02:06:44
kitekrazy1
BTW Udemy is responsible since they took my payment.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account