2015/10/20 01:15:31
michael_k
Quite some time has passed since Craig was a contributor to a magazine entitled 'Ensoniq Hacker.'
At that time I was working with an SQ-80 that I believe was the first 8 track sequencer/synth with a writable floppy disk drive. It also offered an incredibly useable layout for composing and arranging simple songwriting ideas.
The first display screen was dedicated for 8 tracks of recording that could be saved to a second screen as a sequenced 'bank.'  A third screen allowed the operator to select specific sequence banks to be triggered in an assignable order, so bank II (verse II) would follow bank I (verse I) and so forth. I think that the triggering of sequencer banks was referred to as a 'song' bank.
I found the overall organization of the SQ-80's sequencer to be logical, brilliant and I have often questioned why that same genius of simplicity was not transferred to computer based sequencing.
While I am only familiar with a few DAW's, I have not found that functionality in any of them and I wonder if such a feature might be useable to others too, because in popular song writing for instance, I still think in terms of 4, 8, 12 and 16 bar segments.
Many years ago I mentioned the subject to Cakewalk technical and they said they would pass the suggestion along. The reason I thought Cakewalk might implement such an idea then, was that Sonar already had a triggering type 'skin' in use with Matrix, that might lend itself well to implement a similar SQ-80 track/sequence/song sequencing scheme.
Now that Craig is on board at Cakewalk and innovation is the order of the day, I wonder if somebody there may have an even better idea...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account