• Software
  • Any Backup Software recommendations or advice? (p.9)
JohanSebatianGremlin
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo

Precisely why I said this in my post above.

"Bottom line is if there is nothing at all of any importance on your hard drive, then it probably doesn't matter. Upload it to the cloud without any encryption, because there is nothing there to be had."

Well I guess was just kind of confused. You did two long paragraphs making points about the perils of people not reading or understanding EULA's and how even secure technology isn't really secure. Then you kind of invalidate all of that by more or less saying that for 99.99999% of the people, none of that matters.

I guess I agree with you. But if you really feel that none of that matters for most people, why mention it at all?

Because if someone is backing up their entire hard drive to the cloud, they should be thinking about exactly what info is on that hard drive, and then all the other questions make more sense. If you are backing up a drive that has nothing but wave data on it, then it's no big deal, but if you are backing up your primary boot drive, then you should pay closer attention to what all the implications are.
2018/02/07 18:48:36
abacab

if you are backing up your primary boot drive, then you should pay closer attention to what all the implications are.

Especially if you keep your tax records and bank passwords on your boot partition...
2018/02/07 19:41:02
JohanSebatianGremlin
Because if someone is backing up their entire hard drive to the cloud, they should be thinking about exactly what info is on that hard drive, and then all the other questions make more sense. If you are backing up a drive that has nothing but wave data on it, then it's no big deal, but if you are backing up your primary boot drive, then you should pay closer attention to what all the implications are.

Who backs up their entire hard drive to the cloud? I mean I'm sure there are those who do, but its certainly not most people. I've seen the front ends of a few different cloud-based solutions and have done installs/setups of a few for folks over the years. All those that I've seen more of less default to wanting to backup document folders only. Yep you can configure them to backup the whole drive, but you have to know what you're doing to get that setup. It probably should go without saying that most people don't know what they're doing when it comes to that sort of thing. So they click the defaults and let it go.

Now if someone is keeping a word doc in their documents folder that has every password they ever used and every credit card account number they own and their mother's maiden name and social security number yada yada yada, I would argue that's very likely to be someone that was going to be at elevated risk for identify theft long before they ever bought a computer.
2018/02/07 20:14:32
abacab
I encrypt any personal data files in a password protected 7-zip archive before I store it in Dropbox.

I just backed up this advertising music to the cloud!  <g>

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13690413
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account