• Software
  • Presonus Studio One Pro 3.5 Thread (p.7)
2017/11/25 05:15:46
DarinBad
Studio One Expert on YouTube has some informative videos on Studio One. It might answer many questions for some folks who are interested. Presonus also has some informative videos on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/presonusaudio

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK0pITrfzEC36x6ttyaXUXA/feed

2017/11/25 05:30:09
hbarton
aidanodr

How do people find loading speeds for VSTs into tracks in S1??

I have tried on the SAME PC with S1 first, two vsts ( Kontakt & Arturia Analog Lab 2 ). I tried in S1 first .. took near 1 minute to load Arturia and about 40 secs to load Kontakt. 

I then closed S1 and opened Sonar Platinum. Both loaded within 10 seconds or less. Hardly windows caching across two different daws ie making 2nd daw opened faster?

Try this test yourselves?

aidanodr

How do people find loading speeds for VSTs into tracks in S1??

I have tried on the SAME PC with S1 first, two vsts ( Kontakt & Arturia Analog Lab 2 ). I tried in S1 first .. took near 1 minute to load Arturia and about 40 secs to load Kontakt. 

I then closed S1 and opened Sonar Platinum. Both loaded within 10 seconds or less. Hardly windows caching across two different daws ie making 2nd daw opened faster?

Try this test yourselves?

After the initial scan of your VST locations (after first install), you can speed up subsequent startups by turning off the scanning. See this post:
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=213&t=3533

If you add new VSTs in the future, you will need to scan again - but only that one time.
Take care,
h

2017/11/25 07:12:43
sonarman1
Midiboy
My comments are within the quote. 

sonarman1
Essentials:
No Track templates    Yes, this is a bit of a bummer. 
No Step Sequencer         You are incorrect, sir.  There is a step sequencer.  I actually like it better than Sonar's. 

Can manage:
No Gain Knob            - No biggie. 
No Matrix View          - Never used it. 
No Event Editor         - Yeah.  This is a bummer. 
Mix Recall                 - Yeah.  Never really used that, but it is a nice feature.

Step sequencer? u mean the step record?

My biggest problem so far seems to be the lack of numeric peak meters in both inspector and the console.
2017/11/25 09:33:08
Joe_A
Can plug-in(s) for meters be used?
2017/11/25 09:44:01
dubdisciple
I must have missed the step sequencer because i don't see it. Honestly though, i figured a worlflow that works very much like step sequencer .
2017/11/25 16:25:37
hbarton
Joe_A
Can plug-in(s) for meters be used?

Yes, if it is a plugin it should work, then you could float it on another screen.

One thing to keep in mind that may not have been mentioned about the different versions. Prime does not support any plugins (only the Presonus ones that come with it). The Artist version supports plugins with an Add On. Most folks should probably demo the Pro version that will allow you to play with all of the features. Not sure who is using what, but this could trip up a few folks if they are not aware.
Take care,
h
2017/11/27 16:27:56
mcdoma2000
dubdisciple
I must have missed the step sequencer because i don't see it. Honestly though, i figured a worlflow that works very much like step sequencer .

I believe it might be called something like "Performance Editor"?
2017/11/27 16:36:17
Sylvan
I wrote the following in another thread but would like to repost it here to see if I can get any feedback or opinions on it... Here is what I wrote earlier...

"Hi, like many of you, I pulled the trigger on Studio One. I was a huge SONAR loyal user and am absolutely aghast at what Gibson has done to me beloved DAW.

I reluctantly purchased Studio One Professional. I am keeping an open mind and am willing to put my all into learning this new (to me) DAW.

I did some tests and found something that is bugging me a bit. Hopefully someone can put some of this to rest...

I took some recent drum tracks (real acoustic drums that I miced up myself) and used them as my test.
I imported the raw tracks into Studio One and SONAR. No effects at all. I made a crude balancing mix and made notes of exact levels. I duplicated that crude mix in both SONAR and Studio One, then exported.

I imported those two crude mixes side by side so I could compare. I can swear that the SONAR mix has more depth and an extended low end. I thought that maybe this could be a bias or some kind of placebo effect.

I flipped the phase on each mix, after making sure they are 100% sample aligned. The should null, but did not. There is indeed a difference. I don't think it is pan laws either.

I am really worried that Studio One is not as good at summing as SONAR, and I really want it to be because I just spent the money on it.

Also, I HATE that fact that in order to flip the phase on a track I have to actually use a plugin as opposed to SONAR having it built in. Do you suppose Studio One could ever implement a phase flipping switch like SONAR?"
2017/11/27 18:15:11
denverdrummer
Sylvan I can swear that the SONAR mix has more depth and an extended low end. I thought that maybe this could be a bias or some kind of placebo effect.

I flipped the phase on each mix, after making sure they are 100% sample aligned. The should null, but did not. There is indeed a difference. I don't think it is pan laws either.

I am really worried that Studio One is not as good at summing as SONAR, and I really want it to be because I just spent the money on it.

You are not imagining things.  I love the workflow in Studio One (although IMO the workflow in Sonar is better too), but the audio engine in Studio One just sounds bland, and the stock plugins do as well.

Also get used to having to use plugins for everything in Studio One. it's just the way it's built.  You can get around the no gain knob by using the clip gain, which is a cool feature of Studio One (and I do wish Sonar had this), but yeah not having phase flip sucks.

2017/11/27 18:35:55
Ken Matson
bokchoyboy
rodreb
Can the track view and console view be displayed on separate monitors in Studio One? I thought I read on one of these threads that you can not split them to two different monitors. This would be a big deal for my preferred workflow.

Very important!!!!

yes - doing it now

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account