• Features & Ideas
  • A feature for those that write string arrangements (MIDI note chase)
2014/10/06 13:05:08
g_randybrown
Issue example: while writing a moving viola part and there is a long sustained cello note under it.
If I stop/start playback the long sustained cello note doesn't play unless I go back to where that note started (as expected of course) so I usually freeze if it's more than a couple of measures long (if I really need to hear it against the viola)...then I invariably have to unfreeze it to work on the cello part more...but it really becomes a pain when working with a full string arrangement each doing different durations.
It would be nice to have an option to have that sustained note play when starting after the initial note on signal.
I don't even know if it's possible but curious if others might agree?
Thanks very much,
Randy
2014/10/06 13:46:44
scook
This is an interesting idea. It might be possible to have SONAR fake "note on" for anything which has a note event at Now when the transport starts. It may produce some sketchy results though, like what happens with MIDI at the very beginning of a project.
2014/10/06 14:13:43
stevec
As long as it's optional, yeah, I could definitely use this!   It could be weird hearing the attack of the instrument at a location where it would otherwise not exist, but I figured I'd rather hear that than need to freeze or start playback 10 bars early every time.  

I wonder how other DAWs handle this...

2014/10/06 14:28:36
g_randybrown
Agreed, it would have to be optional and something that could be toggled on and off.

I wonder how other DAWs handle this...

I wonder if it's even possible : ) 

2014/10/06 15:02:40
stevec
OK, from what I could find in a quick Google search, Logic, Cubase and Studio One apparently have this ability, while SONAR, Live and Reaper do not.  Here's Logic's approach for reference: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13396

Looks like a nice addition for the MIDI preferences section.  

2014/10/06 15:14:04
g_randybrown
stevec
OK, from what I could find in a quick Google search, Logic, Cubase and Studio One apparently have this ability, while SONAR, Live and Reaper do not.  Here's Logic's approach for reference: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13396

Looks like a nice addition for the MIDI preferences section.  

Well hell, the Cakewalk bakers are much smarter than those guys so it shouldn't be a problem right? 
Thanks VERY much Steve!
2014/10/06 16:59:26
stevec
You're welcome!    This is definitely something that would come in very handy for those times when needed.

2014/10/06 18:37:40
Kev999
This doesn't only apply to string arrangements. Often a synth pad or organ chord can continue over 2 or more bars. Sometimes with a succession of chords containing a common note, I end up splitting the common note into several bar-length notes rather than one long one, just to avoid having to play the section from the beginning every time. I would therefore welcome this proposed feature.
2014/10/06 22:50:30
golophei
This is a good suggestion.  I often deal with the same issue because I also write a lot of string ensemble.
2014/10/07 00:50:34
Greeny
+1 for this, would be a nice option. I use alot of pads and always think it would be nice to have.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account