• Features & Ideas
  • A feature for those that write string arrangements (MIDI note chase) (p.2)
2014/10/09 04:36:51
dede
+1 definitely
2014/10/09 09:28:45
Karyn
stevec
As long as it's optional, yeah, I could definitely use this!   It could be weird hearing the attack of the instrument at a location where it would otherwise not exist, but I figured I'd rather hear that than need to freeze or start playback 10 bars early every time.  

It would sound no different to a real life orchestra starting playing at a random bar number during rehearsal..
2014/10/09 09:40:52
Karyn
g_randybrown
Agreed, it would have to be optional and something that could be toggled on and off.

I wonder how other DAWs handle this...

I wonder if it's even possible : ) 

You keep a list at the start of each bar of all the notes that should still be playing from the previous bar. That way where ever you start playback, it can track notes from the start of the nearest bar to determine what should be playing at the "nowtime" where you hit play.

I'm not saying that's how other DAWs do it,  but it's not difficult to implement.
2014/10/09 11:42:19
stevec
Karyn
It would sound no different to a real life orchestra starting playing at a random bar number during rehearsal..

Yeah, that does make sense.   Not that I've heard too many orchestras rehearsing.   
2014/10/09 15:28:12
sharke
Karyn
stevec
As long as it's optional, yeah, I could definitely use this!   It could be weird hearing the attack of the instrument at a location where it would otherwise not exist, but I figured I'd rather hear that than need to freeze or start playback 10 bars early every time.  

Except that real players can start mid-note with a soft attack if necessary, whereas the DAW would start the note with the original attack (unless the feature was programmed to use a soft attack if starting mid-note). This might be a problem if it's a brass part with an explosive attack followed by a swell, for instance.
2014/10/09 15:40:11
MondoArt
This would be great to have.  It also works the other way, where if the sustain pedal is on and I stop playback, the sound continues.
2014/10/15 17:02:43
wizard71
This would be very useful indeed when writing.
2014/10/16 16:36:35
Jon Bryson
Just saw this, I would love to have this option!
2014/10/16 18:06:44
mettelus
+1 for this option. I agree with scook on adverse side effects for certain situations (such as synths), but this option definitely has a use.
2014/10/16 18:10:40
g_randybrown
Don't forget to rate it y'all...there's only 8
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account