2018/08/14 08:14:13
kitekrazy1
I have no idea what it is with W10 f'updates but something in the home network gets broken between machines.  Usually a mapped drive no longer works.  You will see the other machine on the network but can't access shared folders.

Network discovery doesn't always work nor does turn off password protection sharing.

I go through plenty of youtube videos and websites addressing these issues and still fail.  The issue is always with shared and mapped drives.  Two are fine on 1803 but one system could not access my main system's shared drives. 

I don't know if MS is trying to be Apple like with these features I could care less for but I think I would prefer going back to buying an OS upgrade and them releasing a few service packs.  I never had issue with W7 and I miss how networking drives was great for the totally ignorant in XP.

Keeping them offline is not an option.
2018/08/14 10:24:48
fireberd
I recall seeing something about a change in this area with 1803.  I don't have local or shared drives so I didn't really pursue it.  

Look over posts or do a search on the www.tenforums.com as there are posts about this.

2018/08/14 11:21:39
fwrend
I do not know if this is related or will work for you but I have had trouble at work accessing our server.  Our IT tech believes MS updates are the cause and showed me a quick fix. "Run" \\server and it resets/finds and reconnects almost immediately.  Sorry, I don't know anymore than that - hope it helps.

I have been very fortunate at home with MS updates but our friend Jim Roseberry set it up so there you go!
2018/08/14 12:21:24
Jim Roseberry
If you're still having an issue, roll back to previous version of Win10.

If you have the Pro version, there are two registry tweaks that'll stop all Automatic Updates.
That way, you can make sure you have an up-to-date backup image file prior to installing any updates.
If anything goes wrong, just reload from your backup image file.

2018/08/14 13:03:02
BobF
Jim Roseberry

If you have the Pro version, there are two registry tweaks that'll stop all Automatic Updates.
That way, you can make sure you have an up-to-date backup image file prior to installing any updates.

What are those settings, Jim?
2018/08/14 18:22:56
abacab
2018/08/14 20:08:00
kitekrazy1
 There are no shortage of resources on this issue.  A quick fix is a freeware program called Advanced IP Scanner. Teamviewer always works.

Nice that MS allows you to roll back. 

The odd thing on the machine that had to be rolled back again system restore was not on either.

After awhile you get annoyed at reading 72 articles and videos on this subject.

2018/08/15 00:46:23
abacab
Jim Roseberry

With Pro, you don't even have to touch the registry.

There are settings in the Group Policy Editor that will handle that for you.

2018/08/15 01:19:12
BobF
abacab
Jim Roseberry

With Pro, you don't even have to touch the registry.

There are settings in the Group Policy Editor that will handle that for you.

How does one start the Group Policy Editor?
2018/08/15 01:25:40
Run - gpedit.msc

Windows Components > Windows Update > "Configure Automatic Updates".
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account