2018/08/15 02:04:29
abacab
That's it!

The full path is: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > "Configure Automatic Updates".
2018/08/15 15:13:45
Jim Roseberry
With the particular Registry Tweak I mentioned, you (also) won't be bothered by Update Notifications.
ie: We've got one particular client who doesn't want update-notifications popping up while Slash, John-5, etc are over recording.  Many other folks feel the same.

The Group Policy Editor is great for shutting down unwanted components and tweaking Win10 more to your liking.
After having/using it, I can't imagine not having that control.
Most criticisms of Win10 can be addressed/resolved via the GPE.
2018/08/15 15:16:40
BobF
Jim Roseberry
With the particular Registry Tweak I mentioned, you (also) won't be bothered by Update Notifications.
ie: We've got one particular client who doesn't want update-notifications popping up while Slash, John-5, etc are over recording.  Many other folks feel the same.

The Group Policy Editor is great for shutting down unwanted components and tweaking Win10 more to your liking.
After having/using it, I can't imagine not having that control.
Most criticisms of Win10 can be addressed/resolved via the GPE.

I'm still interested in knowing
2018/08/15 16:12:56
abacab
With the GPE policy in place to disable updates, I have never seen a Win 10 update notification in over two years.  I haven't touched the registry in this regard either.

Nor have I gotten any updates until I click the "Check for Updates" button (after I take an image, of course). 
2018/08/15 16:20:55
Jim Roseberry
I assume you have the parameter set to "2", correct?
"Notify before downloading and installing any updates."
2018/08/15 16:28:02
abacab
Jim Roseberry
I assume you have the parameter set to "2", correct?
"Notify before downloading and installing any updates."

Nope!!!

Set the policy to "Disabled".  Read the blue highlight in the pic that I posted earlier.  Literally, read it... no kidding!

This way it completely disables the automatic updates, and the only way to get updates is to click on the "Check for Updates" button manually in the Windows Settings GUI.  Then Windows will check and install any available updates for your system.

So by disabling the policy, it is like being completely off line from Windows Update, until you press the button.
2018/08/15 16:51:37
Jim Roseberry
Cool.
It's the same as placing "NoAutoUpdate=1" in the Registry.  
2018/08/15 17:39:05
kitekrazy1
I need a group policy called "Keep boneheaded MS developers from messing up your home network".

I've read that assigning static IPs solve this but I haven't researched how to do this yet.

http://www.infopackets.com/news/10369/how-fix-computer-name-wont-resolve-network-april-update

http://www.infopackets.com/news/10330/how-fix-win10-april-update-rdp-mapped-drives-broken

2018/08/15 17:53:37
Jim Roseberry
I'm friends with a Microsoft developer named Tim Noonan.
On The Gear Page forums, I talked about using the GPE to disable "annoying" Win10 components like Cortana.
Turns out... Tim developed much of Cortana.
Put my foot in my mouth on that one...  
2018/08/15 17:53:55
Jim Roseberry
Pretty sure Tim has been on these forums a few times.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account