• Software
  • Melodyne 4.2.0.020 Update (p.2)
2018/10/02 01:23:02
Fleer
ARA in Logic. At last.
2018/10/02 18:42:49
msmcleod
Looks like people are having issues with this update: http://forum.cakewalk.com/New-Melodyne-Update-in-CbB-m3787454.aspx

I'm holding off upgrading for the moment...
2018/10/02 23:03:29
ZincTrumpet
PC is working again but I'm glad it delayed me installing the Melodyne update. Might hold off until they iron out the bugs.
2018/10/03 16:07:00
Skyline_UK
I was foolish and grabbed the update straight away. Now I have to specify the algorithm every clip I work on because the Default choice is not sticking. If this isn't fixed PDQ I'll roll back.  Don't companies beta-test anymore??
2018/10/03 16:16:40
The Maillard Reaction
2018/10/04 13:05:26
azslow3
ZincTrumpet
Can't find what's new. Anyone know if this is the ARA2 update?

Yes! 4.2 feature ARA2, but still can work as ARA(1).

mettelus
The only reference I could find to 4.2 from Ceremony only mentions compatibility with Logic Pro X. I cannot find the release notes specifically.

ARA2 is still a mystery as to how Ceremony will release it. I always assumed it would be in a major release, but no clue. It may manifest more on the DAW side with hooks into data (rather than standalone ARA2, per se), since Studio One launched a chunk of those features in version 4.

It is odd that we are 9 months after the ARA2 announcement without a clear understanding of everything.

Well, it is released now. Not explicitly advertised as "ARA2" for Melodyne, but it is there.
RevoicePro 4 also has it.

4.2 mention Logic, but in fact it also works with other DAWs supporting ARA2.
I have just tested it with REAPER (rc3 for the next release, I guess coming next days). Inserted as a normal FX... done. No "transfers" or anything special (like "Region") is required.
2018/10/04 16:44:03
bitflipper
Bash von Gitfiddle
...miss the better sounding results I used to get with Meldodyne version 1.

I started on version 1 too, but I don't remember it sounding better or worse.

In fact, I am constantly impressed with how good the product is. There have been times when I've edited and bounced a clip, only to later notice a mistake that required a re-edit. Normally, I try to avoid that so as to not let artifacts accumulate. But every time I've done that the second bounce's quality seemed just as good as the original. I think it's because Melodyne is careful to modify only the edited portion and leave everything else alone.

The difference between your experience and mine might come down to how we use Melodyne. Do you ever let it make corrections for you, or do you always make every edit by hand?

2018/10/04 16:59:54
The Maillard Reaction
2018/10/04 18:27:46
marled
I have also the impression that making by hand gets better results. And IMHO automatic vocal pitch correction almost always leads to fault pitches, because the detection with more complex instruments (e.g. vocals/lead guitar) is often deficient (and difficult to adjust). If you have a singer that starts a syllable on one note and draws it up or down (often used in pop and rock music), then it is crucial where the start of the second note is set in regard to the resulting pitches. I found out that in such cases Melodyne often does a bad job in detection and thus the pitches seem to be wrong. But because I found that it sounded correct I tried to shift the starting point of the second note and voila the pitches were suddenly correct without need of pitch correction! Thus I use Melodyne more for rhythm precision/corrections and rarely for pitch corrections (with vocals/lead guitar), because it often makes it worse (or if you do it to the extreme the vocals/guitar sound sterile). Working with acoustic, rhythm guitars or pianos is another thing (here the detection is much more useful).

Marc
2018/10/04 18:44:20
Fleer
Eli Krantzberg has a sweet Groove3 series out on Melodyne and ARA for Logic Pro.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account