• Software
  • Second DAW: Studio 1 Pro 4 or Samplitude Pro X3/ X4 Suite?
2018/11/20 18:46:11
garry
I haven't found a DAW with a workflow/UI that I like better than SONAR/CbB, but I'm in a mood to get a second DAW while they are on sale... FWIW, I mostly record audio (classic rock type stuff) and sometimes will use electronic drums to drive Addictive Drums. Not a lot of tracks. Not a lot of effects. Not a lot of fancy editing.

I own Studio 1 Artist 3.5 so I can upgrade to S1P 4.x for $149. I've basically liked what I've seen S1P 3.x but I do not like being forced to use a console/mixer to mix. I rather like the SONAR option of just using the vol/pan/etc controls in Track View. There are certainly lots of happy S1 users out there and a busy forum for help and guidance. 

There is also the option to buy the Samplitude Pro X3 Suite (with free upgrade to X4 Suite next month) for $199. My first feeling on Samplitude was OK. Don't like the separate mixer window, but I can mix just using their version of the Track View. The UI seems a bit dated, but I was able to get a simple recording done without referring to help pages. The potential bonus here is that the X3 Suite comes with Sound Forge Pro 11 (which I already own/use). My hope would be that the X4 Suite includes Sound Forge Pro 12. Then I'd be getting a new DAW plus a Sound Forge upgrade. But nothing I've found online confirms what version of Sound Forge would be in X4 Suite.

Both offers expire later this week. I know there are people here that have added one or the other of these apps to their toolbox.

Thoughts?
2018/11/20 20:00:18
Leadfoot
I bought the Samplitude X3 Suite during the chaos when Sonar was abandoned. I didn't do much with it until the last few weeks. There's a fairly steep learning curve, like Sonar, but man this software is DEEP! The sound is great as well, of course Samplitude is known for it's sound. I don't have any experience with Studio One, but I can tell you that I'm very glad I bought Samplitude. Plus I got Sound Forge 11, Spectralayers 4, the Independence soft synth with 70Gb worth of sounds, etc, etc. In my opinion, the Samplitude Suite would be the best choice. You get a LOT for your money.
2018/11/20 20:11:25
batsbrew
my changeover from sonar to studio one 3.5 was very very smooth.

plus, the project page is worth the price of admission alone.

2018/11/20 20:12:42
Starise
They all take time to learn well. This is probably the main hangup I have with multiple DAWS. Unless you happen to be gainfully retired with tons of time on your hands it can be a challenge to sit down every evening and learn a  new DAW when you could be making music instead.

Of the 4 or so DAWS I bought I seldom use them. I do what's the easiest with the least amount of time. I use the one I'm most familiar with. Some of the plugins will cross over but many won't, meaning they only work in that DAW. That cool limiter you like can probably only be used in said DAW. 

All the DAWS you mentioned are pretty good. I would suggest to try the free demos if available to see if it floats your boat. Now is probably one of the best times of year if you've decided to do it. I don't think CbB is going anywhere either. You will be likely be spending a lot of time with your DAW. A cool feature might seem like something you would die for until you realize you'll seldom use it. Similar to you, I use my DAW as a glorified recording machine most of the time. Most of em will do that in spades. It's really a very subjective choice. Many have crossed over and came back for a number of reasons. 
My goal is to make and record music. Window shopping is fun, but it doesn't accomplish my goal.

2018/11/20 20:33:19
Sidroe
I also jumped over to Samplitude last year. Already had experience from owning an older version in the 90s.
Tried Studio One and it seemed stifling compared to CbB and Samplitude. Samplitude wins for me, hands down!!!
Very steep learning curve but worth every second. Best all in one DAW I have ever worked with.
2018/11/20 21:22:30
azslow3
I know that is not an argument for most people when consider a DAW, but...

Samplitude has good accessibility implementation and they cooperate with related developers. I mean they care about relatively small group of users. The only other DAW with that property is REAPER.

Cakewalk was the best in that respect, with 8.5. They have completely dropped that in the new UI.
All other (S1 inclusive) simply do not care. JUCE developers clearly stated that is not economically feasible... and as very popular platform for plug-ins, they cut not sighted musicians from many modern plug-ins.
2018/11/20 21:39:52
reginaldStjohn
I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.  Last year after the Cakewalk crash I bough Studio One, Harrison Mixbus, and Traction Waveform.  After trying all of them out I can say that they all would be adequate for most people.  They all have different strengths and weaknesses and none of them are perfect for every person.  I personally think that you should learn one main DAW and then have a second, or third if you have the time, as a backup or for a feature that the other may not have or handle as well.

I personally don't have the time to keep up with 4 different DAWs but I can handle one as a main DAW and use the other as needed.
2018/11/20 21:41:31
clintmartin
I like Tracktion Waveform. It's very affordable, and has a unique,  different work flow. It's also got a fun factor.
I also like Harrison Mixbus, although I rarely use it.
2018/11/20 22:17:51
batsbrew
i bought s1p mostly for it's mastering page.
2018/11/20 22:50:18
garry
Thanks for the replies (more welcome too). I'm leaning toward buying Samplitude as it *may* get me a Sound Forge update as part of the X4 Suite.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account