• Software
  • Any thoughts re: BFD3 vs Superior Drummer? (p.2)
2018/11/24 20:08:22
paulo
I have SD2. Used to use it a lot before I had BFD3. Hardly touched it since. SD3 is OTT for my needs - I'd have to get another HD just to be able to install it all. That plus Toontrack's "upgrade now or else" stance has really turned me off of them as a company to deal with.

Between Addictive Drums 1&2, BFD3 and the drum instruments in Komplete I figure I should be able to get something that sounds reasonable.

2018/11/24 20:09:03
emeraldsoul
I've had BFD and AD, used 'em a ton, because I never liked the sound of SD2. But when SD3 came out, the sound and the usability in my opinion beat the others by a country mile. It's all I use now. Good luck in your quest!

2018/11/25 04:04:03
stm113cw
I have 2 versions of Slate and Superior Drummer 3. Between the Slate, AD 2 and SD3 there is NO comparison, SD3 slays the other two. There are a few things I wish I could change and much I need to learn but it’s taken my recordings next level. I’m about to do an album with some guys where we are either going to record midi drums via Roland TD 20 or mic drums to get clean tracks for replacing. The sounds are just that good.
2018/11/27 00:14:10
ØSkald
You need space to install SD3 and SDX packs...

Superior Drummer 3
Size 221 GB (238 183 580 256 byte)
560 files in 20 folders

Metal Foundry
Size 33,5 GB (36 035 169 515 byte)
264 files in 11 folders

Metal Machinery
Size 18,0 GB (19 340 342 628 byte)
186 files in 12 folders

Progressive Foundry
Size 58,5 GB (62 912 442 638 byte)
231 files in 11 folders
2018/11/27 00:33:57
retired_account
You can get a 500GB SSD pretty cheap now for about $75.00. I picked one up for a dedicated drum drive;  SD3, BFD3  & other libraries.
I think Best Service has the best deal for SD3 ( or EZD)  atm.
2018/11/27 01:05:27
DeeringAmps
EZD & SD2 then EZD2 & SD3.
But just like Trilian I have barely scratched the surface.
I do love me some ToonTracks.
T
2018/11/27 01:35:45
bitflipper
Not a BFD user here, but after watching others use it, BFD seems a little quicker and less fussy to set up and tweak to a good sound.

I am a longtime Superior Drummer user, going all the way back to Drumkit from Hell, its distant ancestor. Obviously, I'm very happy with it. However, I don't automatically recommend it to everyone.

SD3 is more configurable than anything else out there, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your style of usage (if you want to get up and running and sounding good fast with minimal effort, check out Steven Slate Drums).

SD3 has lots of expansions but they are more expensive than BFD's.

As noted above, SD3 is HUGE, by far the biggest sample library I have. I do not run it from an SSD, and it can take quite awhile to load.

SD3 has features you may never use. It has its own sequencer, but I've never used it. It has a great drum-replacement feature that I've used only a handful of times. It has gobs of effects, many of which I've never used. 

Bottom line is I'd say SD3 is for people who are really serious about their sequenced drums, who take their time tweaking sounds, and want no limitations. Although I fall into that category, I realize that not everyone does. Some just want to build a serviceable drum track quickly and then move on to the fun stuff, whether that's playing your guitar or singing or programming synthesizers.
2018/11/27 01:48:21
retired_account
bitflipper
Not a BFD user here, but after watching others use it, BFD seems a little quicker and less fussy to set up and tweak to a good sound.

Bottom line is I'd say SD3 is for people who are really serious about their sequenced drums, who take their time tweaking sounds, and want no limitations. Although I fall into that category, I realize that not everyone does. Some just want to build a serviceable drum track quickly and then move on to the fun stuff, whether that's playing your guitar or singing or programming synthesizers.

That's why I suggested BFD3 & EZDrummer instead of SD3. Kind of best of both worlds & with budget in mind. Sometimes one will be better suited over the other. Both do sound great although BFD3 does need upgrading, a bit antiquated. SD3 is much easier to use workflow wise & fully featured.

2018/11/27 13:05:53
dcumpian
I think if you want help creating drum tracks, SD3 is for you. If you want to create your own drum tracks, BFD3 (or even SSD4/5) will get you there. I personally enjoy creating my drum tracks from scratch and I like the control I can get over the drums in BFD3. The add on kits are pretty spectacular.

Dan
2018/11/27 15:20:44
Leadfoot
dcumpian
I personally enjoy creating my drum tracks from scratch and I like the control I can get over the drums in BFD3. The add on kits are pretty spectacular.

Dan

Agreed....
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account