2015/04/17 10:25:41
chad
ChristopherM
does "Expansion Packs you purchased" imply that things like the excellent Muz3um will not work?

Muz3uM will work in Rapture Pro, it is not integrated with Cakewalk Command Center as a download.  You can still add custom programs, multisamples, wavetables, etc within Rapture Pro.  I'll talk with Francesco and Cakewalk about the possibility of having Muz3uM as a free download for Rapture Pro owners.  That could be really sweet.    : )

Let's talk about some features. 

Has anyone brought up the FX Sends on the Mixer View yet (as seen on the Features page)???  Rapture Pro has inherited Dimension Pro's Bussed FX.  The Global Effects slots on the Mixer page toggle between Send and Series Mode.  Send FX on Rapture's architecture will be most welcome for flexible sound sculpting and programming!  I'm imagining different chorus Send Levels across all 6 Elements, along with individual Distortion or  Phaser, all going into a final Insert Chamber Reverb. 

2015/04/17 10:33:16
AT
For your $79/99 you don't just get a re-badged Rapture.  Rapt, IIRC, used less than half of Dimensions engine, playing back a wavetable of the sample.  Dimension plays back entire samples, too, which is why it was used for acoustic emulations (and has the library to support it).  Rapt was geared more toward electronic instruments, and I had an ah-ha moment when I discovered Rapt. was where most of the organs lived, not DimPro.  Speaking of libraries, Rapt 2 has about 3 gigs more of samples than Dimension (the original Rapt had a small library since the samples were snippets useful for wavetables - 3000 sample length I believe. 3 gigs aren't much in these days of mega libraries - I'm sure someone has put out a 3 gig collection of triangles by now - but done right and for a specific synth can make a whole new synth.  See Kontakt and the libraries sold for it.  NI doesn't buy Heavyocity products and give them to Komplete Plus owners.  Or the new synths they develop for REaktor.

And that cost is before you get into the performance additions - x-y pads and mixing.  And who knows what else?

If that ain't enough to lay out money that is fine.  As I said earlier, just wait, not doubt it will be had for free one day.  But no way is it a "fix" that needs to be included with SONAR, which the last time I checked was a DAW for recording soft synths, not a soft synth itself.  Just the same as the original Dimension (not Pro) came with the P5 DAW and was an integral part of the sale.  When they upped to DimPro and added to the library, guess what, Cake released DimPro as a stand alone product.  They didn't give it to if you had P5 (in fact, they killed off P5).  You can usually tell if someone is trying to sell you something new if they give it a new name.  Cake is just following well-established guidelines.

@
2015/04/17 10:35:16
FCCfirstclass
drewfx1
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
...wicked
Haha "S-plat". I Like that!

But man though, haters gonna hate eh? A brand new synth that combines DimPro and Rapture with a pretty impressive looking GUI, browser, and huge sound library and you're gonna complain about a $79 price tag? Not me. 

As for the dude who owns Omnisphere, yeah you might not need something like this, Omni is pretty much the king daddy in some of that arena. But what did you pay for it? $80 is a very nice night out for me and the missus... I'll start with the apology flowers now.... :-)

HAHA, we didn't see this abbreviation coming. Remind me to make sure we review any potential abbreviations for future products :)

At one time long, long ago I had a job working in a group at AT&T called Local Alternative Market Entry and the abbreviation was thus LAME. 

It was part of the Local Services Division.

I'm not kidding. 

For a funny....  Seattle put in a streetcar line around 4 years ago in the South Lake Union district, just north of Downtown.  They named it the "South Lake Union Transit" line.  Of course it took less than a day for the unofficial name of SLUT.  
2015/04/17 10:37:55
BobF
Why does everybody keep saying stuff is "FREE" with Sonar?  Nothing is "FREE".  Trust me, there is a premium built into every product that includes another "FREE" product along with it.

2015/04/17 13:01:35
Studious
This looks like a nice product.

Can somebody please clarify:
Does Rapture Pro fully replace Rapture 1.2 and Dimension Pro? In other words, legacy projects aside, if you are starting fresh with Rapture Pro, is there any need to own/install Dimension Pro?

Also, has Dimension Pro's life-cycle ended? Is it all merged into Rapture Pro from here on out?

Thanks!
2015/04/17 14:03:41
Andrew Rossa
Studious

Does Rapture Pro fully replace Rapture 1.2 and Dimension Pro? In other words, legacy projects aside, if you are starting fresh with Rapture Pro, is there any need to own/install Dimension Pro?

Also, has Dimension Pro's life-cycle ended? Is it all merged into Rapture Pro from here on out?

Thanks!

Yes, Rapture Pro replaces both. You get all the legacy content that shipped with the originals plus nearly 10GB of new content. We will discontinue Rapture Classic and Dimension Pro as a new purchase although it will remain in SONAR. 
2015/04/17 14:32:54
stevec
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]

Yes, Rapture Pro replaces both. You get all the legacy content that shipped with the originals plus nearly 10GB of new content. We will discontinue Rapture Classic and Dimension Pro as a new purchase although it will remain in SONAR. 

So tempting...   As someone who's used Dim Pro many times over, and Rapture somewhat less, this really does seem like a great way to get both in a single new package with lots of new abilities that neither one has.  Like the FX Bus comments above from Chad...    I also like the purpose-built page layouts.   Good stuff.    I wonder if there will be a demo...

2015/04/17 14:34:59
BobF
By the time a demo and pirated manual are available, the intro offers will be over  
2015/04/17 14:50:01
Doktor Avalanche
fantini
Are Rapture Pro's multisamples in wav rather than flac.  I certainly prefer wav files.  Originally, Dimension Pro used wav files but somewhere along the way, the newer versions began to use flac files.
I found the original DPro wav files worked for me in many Rapture projects.  To me, the DPro multisamples sound better in Rapture. 

FLAC files have all the benefits of WAV but use far less hard drive space as it is compressed. The compression is not lossy so you will not lose out on quality. I don't see what there is not to like. I wish people would use FLAC more.
2015/04/17 15:19:24
Studious
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
Studious

Thanks!

Thank you for clearing it up Andrew! It sounds like a great path forward for these products.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account