2015/04/18 12:35:34
drewfx1
Doktor Avalanche
sylent
Every compression has some loss, even if it's nominal.

I haven't done a null test but it should be bit perfect and should have no loss.

Yes - compression need not have any loss. Otherwise any .exe program downloaded inside a .zip file or other compressed format would crash.

Flac is just a form of completely lossless compression that is optimized for audio files.
2015/04/18 16:52:26
sylent
drewfx1
Doktor Avalanche
sylent
Every compression has some loss, even if it's nominal.

I haven't done a null test but it should be bit perfect and should have no loss.

Yes - compression need not have any loss. Otherwise any .exe program downloaded inside a .zip file or other compressed format would crash.

Flac is just a form of completely lossless compression that is optimized for audio files.

My point was that you must extract the zip first to run the exe, (or to save argument must run the zip code first), and that even today that nominal time adds up across bigger projects... and only to explain what I meant by "purity" as a concept and workflow previously.

Compression works by removing blank space, authors notations etc, and optimizing common instructions from the text in the code.
The computer still must read the code to execute it, and if an exe or sound uses 1000 lines, wrapping it means adding code after removing some.
Flac is another animal than zip.... not even close other than they both use a form of compression.

Some formats are considered "lossless" because the wrapper they use is also more optimized, flac being lean and mean because it uses a container with only one purpose, so it adds much less than a rar, which is considered leaner than zip, or at one time was.
A system that recognizes flac, already knows its a sound, zips etc must recognize the compression then read what it is inside before it can determine what to do next. Flac can better predict and start before the data is read... at least in theory, since I'm more of an expert in web scripting than compiled code. lol

These days, as opposed to just 5 years ago, computers are faster and handle tasks faster and unnoticeable for the most part, and that's why it becomes "old habit", but in the long run, until computers can read a million instructions instantly, even with my beefy machine, it's still good practice within the "big picture". IMO

I'm excited about the new synth, and that is the best format to use if not uncompressed, and if I must convert and have two copies of the sample I will ... at least it's not mp3! lol

Much love for CW and all the "desert munching" members here ... coffee, cake, and good conversation is a great thing.
2015/04/18 20:34:09
jbow
It sound's good to me. I'm sure it will sound even better to me when I get it!

J
2015/04/19 07:18:15
MANTRASKY
Hello, is this the same "Rapture Pro" that's available with Sweetwater:  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RaptureProUp

Just wondering, thanks!
2015/04/19 11:25:44
ShellstaX
MANTRASKY
Hello, is this the same "Rapture Pro" that's available with Sweetwater:  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RaptureProUp

Just wondering, thanks!

It certainly is. As to it's actual availability just now - well, It's still not available from Cake - so I have my doubts - imminent though.

As a Platinum owner you can get it for $79 from the CakeStore.

2015/04/19 15:29:23
Bob In Portland
Okay, I read the blurbs a little more. It appears all the third-party libraries I bought for DimPro will migrate to the new beast. Is that so? And with the new engine I should be able to make the old patches wiggle a little more. 

But I'm going to have to clear off space on my C-drive. Guess I'll do that in preparation for RapP going on sale. 
2015/04/19 16:19:36
Paul P
Bob In Portland
But I'm going to have to clear off space on my C-drive. Guess I'll do that in preparation for RapP going on sale. 

Historically, the big piece was Dim Pro's Multisamples folder and that could be put elsewhere than on C.

If RapturePro can be installed through an installer and not through the CCC, then maybe you'll still be able to.

EDIT : I see that some third-party libraries for Rapture can be pretty big as well.
2015/04/19 16:23:01
rabeach
don't know if this has been addressed; has rapture pro dropped support of the SFZ file format?
2015/04/19 17:10:34
scook
Given that RPro plays DPro and original Rapture factory and 3rd party content, it must support the sfz file format.
2015/04/19 17:53:44
Bob In Portland
Paul P. Thanks. I put an additional 4 terrabyte drive on my computer a while back for just such circumstances, and have moved a folder with 135 G over there, so I've got plenty of room now. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account