2015/04/24 21:04:55
BobF
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
Part 1 and 2 of the new Rapture Pro GUI Tour video

Part 1 (Browser): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzMlFJ-GTkE

Part 2 (Instrument Page): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwRvpQ1bpuo

Question:

If I have MIDI recorded in a RP track, will I be able to play that back while recording macro knob tweaks?  IOW, record the notes and performance tweaks in different passes?
2015/04/24 21:24:49
promidi
gswitz
I may be one of the few to say this out loud, but I really like the music in the demos. Really creative and listenable.

Agree.  Also. as RP Pro can use DP and RP patches, you can still get the "real" instrument samples as well....
2015/04/24 21:52:48
Anderton
guitloud
Sorry to voice my disappointment that it will not be included in any of the subscription packages. The only reason I paid for the subscription was with the incentive that product upgrades were part of the subscription. Rapture and Dimension Pro are both included products in the Professional and Platinum subscription levels. This is a product "upgrade" to those already included products. For you to say it is not included is infuriating to me as I was dubious of the subscription model to begin with. Thank you for bringing my fears to fruition.

Dimension Pro and Rapture were originally sold as separate instruments apart from SONAR. They were introduced in 2006, and the first Cakewalk instruments sold for the Mac as well as Windows. When they reached their twilight they were included in SONAR. Dimension Pro became part of SONAR with version 8.0 and the full version of Rapture with X1 IIRC.

If you think the subscription program has not brought a raft of product upgrades of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I think it is an extremely difficult opinion to justify. As pointed out in a different thread we are through 16% of the year's membership. There is 84% more to go, on top of the upgrade from X3 to where SONAR was when the new version was released in late January. Look at what was included in the first two releases. I do not know of any other DAW that has released that many new features, fixes, enhancements, and content within 60 days after the release of a new version.

To think Rapture Pro accommodating the architecture of previous instruments somehow makes it simply a cosmetic change from what came before fails to realize that Cakewalk spent a lot of effort making sure that it would be compatible with the investment users had made in libraries and the learning curve for Dimension Pro and Rapture, as well as with programs and samples they had produced over the years. In addition to being compatible with those two synthesizers, there are new modes, a new browser, new page organization, at least a doubling of the sample library, and presets designed by pro sound designers like Justin Lassen, whose work for Sony is well known. And, there's the whole Performance element.

Sure, Cakewalk could have factored in the cost of updates to all their products into the cost of membership. Then people would have whined that the price was too high. Not everybody wants their membership to pay for instruments. There are plenty of SONAR users who have Komplete, or Omnisphere, or whatever. They want - and paid for, and have been receiving - updates to SONAR.

To dismiss Rapture Pro as simply putting two instruments together, and therefore requiring an upgrade to instruments that were never even a part of the original SONAR, seems unrealistic to me. Cakewalk has been working on this instrument for at least two years. It is not some minor update they can just give away for free to people who received Dimension Pro and Rapture late in their product cycles, as freebies bundled with SONAR.

2015/04/24 22:01:03
jih64
Anderton

Dimension Pro and Rapture . . . When they reached their twilight . . .

Blasphemy . . . The sun still shines for me . . .

I just wish they would release it so as I can get my grubby little hands on it, the wait is killing me, soooo looking forward to this, and so grateful for the great price, I recon it's a steal.
2015/04/24 22:07:17
Anderton
jih64
Anderton

Blasphemy . . . The sun still shines for me . . .

LOL! I still use Rapture all the time...I was always surprised at how many more people used Dimension Pro compared to Rapture. When I was doing the Rapture expansion packs, Andrew always wondered why I didn't do packs for Dimension Pro because the market was so much bigger. But I make stuff for myself, and I liked Rapture better although I used Dimension Pro as well.

So I'm real happy with the idea of Rapture Pro - that I not only get to keep what was cool about Rapture, but can apply "Rapture thinking" to Dimension Pro sounds. Hopefully it will be more stable as well. Personally, I think Cakewalk made the right choice to create a new instrument instead of apply more band-aids to the old ones.

2015/04/24 22:30:28
jih64
Yes, and the backwards compatibility with the original sounds and expansions is a HUGE plus, I was so happy when I read that.
2015/04/24 22:46:55
promidi
jih64
Anderton

I just wish they would release it so as I can get my grubby little hands on it, the wait is killing me, soooo looking forward to this, and so grateful for the great price, I reckon it's a steal.

Here Here!

I wish I could download it now so that it's included in this months download quota.....   (yes, some people still have finite data quotas)

The only thing I am worried about is that I am easily distracted... and Rapture Pro looks like it's going to be a big distraction!
2015/04/24 23:19:13
musichoo
I have a dozen expansion packs for Dim Pro and 4 for rapture. Yeah, I like the fact that I can bring those up another level with Rap Pro. Can call it Rap Pro?
2015/04/24 23:34:37
jih64
musichoo
Can call it Rap Pro?

Yeah, just don't call it Rat Poo

I just pre ordered, I think to make myself feel like it's a bit closer :|
2015/04/25 04:31:18
Fabio Rubato
One of the expansion packs for Rapture I purchased through Cake - Universal - would always crash Rap after trialing a few of the presets. Cake Support could not explain why nor would they offer a refund as it was the only expansion doing this. I hope that Rap Pro doesn't have the same issue with it.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account