• Software
  • Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996)
2017/01/29 21:48:16
DaveG74
I remember a warm summer day in mid-1996 I purchased a Creative Sound Blaster sound card bundled with (wait, there's more) a CD-ROM drive and a new music sequencing software package: Digital Orchestrator, by Voyetra Turtle Beach. I would like to share with you my thoughts on this amazing software from back then, including my experience with it.

Here is the box cover and an assortment of terribly dated retro screen shots from the software:

Does this ring any bells to any of you? Even vintage, 90's 16-bit ones?

Now hold on to your hats, the minimum required specs would knock your socks off. To get this baby off the ground, you needed 8 MB of RAM and 10 MB of hard drive storage. Your processor speed had to be 66MHz, and it would help (greatly) if you had a mouse and a sound card. But the nice thing was that you could run this bad boy on Windows 3.1.

Okay, on a more serious note. Now, what was my first thought upon discovering this software? Well, music composition was a very unlikely would-be hobby of mine. I cannot read, write, or interpret music, let alone have I ever mastered an instrument. But somehow, DO immediately piqued my interest. So I blindly ventured into the software, taking my first ever step into music composition and learning as I went. I'm as much of a music composition newbie as there is...but I can tell you, I eventually developed some interesting melodies in my head that I was anxious to bring to life.

Voyetra's Digital Orchestrator, as you may/may not know, completely surrounds the General MIDI 1 patch set of 128 instruments, divided by eight categories. And oh, only one drum patch. But back then, it was the most innovative thing I've ever seen! I found it quite exciting, and not too difficult to learn. This project, from someone who was technically musically illiterate, was quite daunting but rewarding once the tracks were finished. My work was/is entirely done in the Piano Roll! So you can imagine the way I describe my work to everyone is as follows, "I draw lines and dots on the screen that represent notes. I do that thousands of times...and I have a song!"

So this was July of 1996. Over the course of the next several months, I composed over three dozen MIDI tracks. Somewhere down the line, I upgraded to Digital Orchestrator Plus or Digital Orchestrator Pro, but i don't remember which. Semantics shemantics. I mean, don't worry about it, really not relevant.

Along the way, I discovered my style, for the most part, encompassed much use of the piano, distortion/overdriven guitars, electric guitar, brass section and string ensemble. I composed every new tune that came into my head between rock, pop, classical, techno, ballad and rubbish. And I loved it! My stint in digital music composition lasted until 2003...and I finally became burned out. That's when I retired the project and moved on to other creative hobbies for the time being. But I will remember and thank Voyetra Turtle Beach for guiding me into the hobby of digital music composition (in which, shameful for me to say, I am still an amateur.)

That's where my story ends! So how many of you remember Digital Orchestrator? What did you think about it?

If you'd like to download a demo of Digital Orchestrator Pro -- well, you can find it all over the internets. It's only a demo, but I'm sure that if you Google search really quick, you can locate the developer and buy it before their offices shut down. Just go find it, do it! It's a lot of fun.

This has been my badly-written flashback to Digital Orchestrator. Please feel free to contribute and comments/observations/qualms! Thanks for reading.
2017/01/30 06:18:27
jerrydf
Yes, I came through the Digital Orchestrator route, following on after Amiga with the MED/OctaMed sequencer. Going from Amiga to PC was arguably a retrograde step, but dictated by the market popularity and growth potential of the two technologies. I soon upgraded the soundblaster on the PC to an AWE64 card which came with Digital Orchestrator Plus (on a floppy). This seemed an alarmingly powerful piece of software and I soon shelled out for the full Digital Orchestrator Pro in its huge box and enormous manual full of potential. Between that and the AWE64, soundfonts were easy to work with.  The DOPro interface was also intuitive and allowed quick and easy cut/copy/pasting of bars around the tracks. The audio editing was also very easy. I was a little disappointed when Turtle Beach stopped developing it around 2000, but the upside was I moved to Cakewalk.

I know that the great Roger McGuinn (The Byrds, etc) also used DOPro, mainly for sketching out new songs and arrangements.  I still have one of his DOPro tracks somewhere ("Southbound Train" I think).

jdf
2017/02/04 08:02:54
mudgel
I came from Bars & Pipes and Octamed on the Amiga to Orchestrator on the PC just after Win 95 came out.

I had used PC's much earlier but it was purely for work. Music was the Amiga. It's demise pushed me to the PC. The Mac was far too expensive and as work had given me familiarity with Windows, it seemed much easier.

Then I found Cakewalk Pro 7 and I've been with them ever since.
2017/02/04 10:47:27
AllanH
I started on the Amiga as well and was very active in that community for a period of time. I believe I got my first  sound blaster in 1995. I know it came with some excellent midi files and demos that I've since lost. In particular, I remember an orchestral demo that I considered very impressive at the time, and have looked for a few times.

2018/01/27 10:18:36
Pasi Sivula
I could have been the author of this post! Only, I quit in 2001 and never found my way back to composing. Still have all the hardware left (keyboards, synth modules) and thought I would make a final attempt to compose something before I get rid of it all. Searched for DOP and found this post. I guess you all use Cakewalk now. Did not like it back then. I still seek the simplicity of DOP...
2018/01/27 10:50:41
jerrydf
Two months' ago we'd have all nodded and agreed "Yes, we all use Cakewalk Sonar now." However, as you may have seen from recent events it seems that Sonar has reached the same ignominious end that DOP did. 
2018/01/27 12:43:16
Pasi Sivula
So, what tool should I be trying out if I want to focus on quick and effortless midi composing on Windows 10 with a feature set resembling that of DOP and not tons of bells and whistles. I particularly dislike tools like Garageband, without being able to put my finger on why. I need no crazy advanced arpeggiator, sound libraries, soft synths etc. But the user experience has to be top notch. No unpolished, mediocre, opensource stuff that will drive me crazy to set up with my hardware. Thanks
2018/01/27 12:51:42
subtlearts
I love this post (OP). An example of music software doing something awesome that is *not* related to pro users or features: democratising music production, making tools available to 'newbies', hobbyists, etc. And I say that as a professional musician of long standing. I've never understood the elitism some of my colleagues seem to feel about tools aimed at non-professionals. So much great, creative music has been made by people who came to it through non-traditional channels, why would we want to discourage anything that brings more voices to the party, making more potential great music? Who knows where the next genius will come from, and what he or she will use to create great music? (Well, likely not Digital Orchestrator at this point, but you know what I mean...)
2018/01/27 14:22:52
Stone House Studios
subtlearts
I love this post (OP). An example of music software doing something awesome that is *not* related to pro users or features: democratising music production, making tools available to 'newbies', hobbyists, etc. And I say that as a professional musician of long standing. I've never understood the elitism some of my colleagues seem to feel about tools aimed at non-professionals. So much great, creative music has been made by people who came to it through non-traditional channels, why would we want to discourage anything that brings more voices to the party, making more potential great music? Who knows where the next genius will come from, and what he or she will use to create great music? (Well, likely not Digital Orchestrator at this point, but you know what I mean...)

Eloquently stated.

Before discovering music software, all of my midi composing was captured on a Yamaha TQ5. Somebody shared some software with me - prompting me to beg my family to get me Cakewalk software for Christmas - Studio 8 I think it was. Seems like a gazillion upgrades ago!

Brian
2018/01/27 14:47:35
TheMaartian
Pasi Sivula
So, what tool should I be trying out if I want to focus on quick and effortless midi composing on Windows 10 with a feature set resembling that of DOP and not tons of bells and whistles. I particularly dislike tools like Garageband, without being able to put my finger on why. I need no crazy advanced arpeggiator, sound libraries, soft synths etc. But the user experience has to be top notch. No unpolished, mediocre, opensource stuff that will drive me crazy to set up with my hardware. Thanks

I never used DOP. That said, if I hadn't already been so invested in Studio One Pro when SONAR folded, I'd have given Tracktion Waveform a real shot. I'll always have Reaper as a secondary DAW, but it definitely does NOT fall into your easy-to-use out of the box requirement.

Waveform is modern and focused on music production, kind of a lean, mean, fighting machine. Ha. They have a demo. I think it would be worth a try.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account