• Features & Ideas
  • Removing drawback from the past but still present in currents - lack of project conversion (p.2)
2015/09/28 04:24:39
Piotr
Doktor Avalanche
Piotr
BTW it could be nice if Sonar could provide user defined custom map for such cases. For instance I don't have grand piano of VI Labs but have True Piano and it could be nice if there would be a way to say Sonar that every project it sees VI Labs Grand it automatically replaces with True Piano etc...

The only way you could do this is start a standard for presets.
Then write to every single plugin manufacturer begging them to keep to your standard.
Ain't gonna happen :)

Well, I thought about something simpler :-)
What you considered - of course I understand is impossible to implement :-)

I meant only replacing VST instrument without taking in considerations its setup which differs from plugin to plugin.
It is what you need when load project with many not owned plugins. you must manually replace each of them with ones which you have. Maybe there is an advanced in CAL Sonar user who even has written something like this? :-)

Regards,
Piotr
2015/09/28 04:40:12
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Piotr
Mass export is great function and it can convert all files to other data rates (how ironic :(  but reinserting is manually pain job :(

Please have look at this FR (http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3293015) and see if that would relieve you from your reinserting pain
2015/09/28 04:52:43
mettelus
FWIW, posts have been made about SoundBlaster's "ASIO" drivers not being ASIO. Unless you have a program requiring ASIO (some software must have an ASIO driver stand-alone), you may be much better off using WDM mode.

Another thing is to check Windows Sound settings for your sound card (both recording and playback), right click the SB and check "properties" On the advanced tab be sure both "exclusive" modes are not checked. When in ASIO mode, only one program can access the drivers, and if that is your system playback device, it is actually Windows locking it (or your browser, etc.). Whatever grabs it first "wins" basically, and SONAR cannot override Windows settings.
2015/09/28 13:59:15
Doktor Avalanche
Time to get a new interface, that's your real problem:
http://us.focusrite.com/product-range/scarlett

2015/09/28 21:01:15
Piotr
Thank you, All, for your advices.

Unfortunately, provided drivers for my card works best in ASIO and switching to any other mode brings some problems or unacceptable latency.

To be fair to card it was much better for XP (but still best in ASIO) with great provided mixer to control its I/O but after migrating to Win 7 drivers are not quite as expected and mixer is gone. Another thing, new approach for audio in 7 is a really trash. User hostile concept.

You encourage me for replacing my hardware and probably you're right. However,  it is quite hard decision for me because I like very much external IO panel of the card and it has its also role in home entertainment and fits great in that. I am also not fan of instant recabling to use something as secondary audio connected on demand. Things are also little bit complicated because I am constantly moving between 2 cities where have different hardware but always taking with myself portable audio interface is not an option for me. Small luggage is my friend.
Well, I have things to consider...

In fact I have old but quite good audio interface with firewire port (ironically I have no firewire  in my home computer but IO panel of audigy2 has one for connecting firewire devices) but it is rare used because of need to disassembly and reassembly. It needs 12W power supply I have concern if I connect it only by bus it wouldn't damage  firewire in IO panel when getting too much power. But I don't want to make you bored. My English is poor and it is hard to explain all aspects.

But thank you again for your advices. I feel obligated to rethink all connection concept in my home and my secondary place to avoid compatibility problems when moving projects.

Well, don't take me pls like hopeless stuborn guy but regardless of possible reconfigure what I have or replacing card I still believe Sonar should have functionality to reconvert flawlessly when needed projects with different data rates. Different things happen and it is too optimistic assume that always destination hardware will have every data rate as source. It is not big deal, I think, to implement it to remove some potential hardware incompatibility.

Regards,
Piotr

2015/09/30 16:01:31
Piotr
Hi,
Another example of this drama and why it is again me?
I have on my second place Cakewalk/Roland product VS-20, which can be used both like mobile audio interface and surface controller. Quite useful thing. But it is capable only 44.1 what I forgot. I have just brought 48 recorded project and of course trying to play it has failed 

This same person so statistical sample didn't change but it was another example of hardware which was limited and lead to problem with sharing. Probably there are more owners VS-20 on the world... And consider people using only onboard audio cards.

Of course, from Pro or Advanced users perspective the answer is the same: just replace your hardware and your old discard in a thrash (a don't be sorry because of your hard earn money :(

But how many hobbyists are on the world who could want to share something with their friends but are not able to replace hardware soon because they have other expenses?

Of course problems does not exist if one could convert his project to 44.1 to share it with those who have only 44.1
Just with one click for instance

Regards,
Piotr
2015/09/30 16:15:01
Doktor Avalanche
Vast majority of people use switchable 48/44.1 nowadays. I've been in these forums since X1 launch (not long compared to many) and first time I've heard of such an onslaught..
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account