• Software
  • Celemony has announced Version 2 of ARA (p.3)
2018/01/27 04:18:33
CakeAlexSHere
SimpleManZ
I'm pretty certain Cakewalk was a beta tester partner/developer with this new ARA2. Sonar would have implemented it and probably a nice discount to Melodyne upgrade too.

Instead there is Reaper and Studio One etc.
2018/01/27 15:00:15
BassDaddy
Larry Jones
Great! When will this be added to SONAR? Oh, wait...

In a lifetime.
2018/01/27 16:48:21
azslow3
msorrels
The last version of Melodyne didn't break older SONARs (or other DAWs with ARA support), it's not a given this new version will break the last SONAR.  They actually went a long way at making sure they didn't break things last time.  Given this is all just just at the announce stage, it would be unfair to start jumping to conclusions.  Let them announce the actual upgrade to Melodyne first.

All version of Melidyne up to now was based on ARA1 specification. So till some degree they all was compatible with any ARA1 host side implementation.
So the questions are (1) is ARA2 an extension of  ARA1 (2) if ARA2 is not an extension of ARA1, will next Melodyne support both?
What is clear is that hosts supporting ARA2 only will be unable to work with ARA1 (ARA1 was a bit overcomplicated and not extremely transparent, the reason some hosts, f.e. Reaper, have decided to not work with it).
Someone has to look into ARA2 specs to answer on (1)... I have to find time for that

2018/01/27 19:34:54
35mm
msorrels
The last version of Melodyne didn't break older SONARs (or other DAWs with ARA support), it's not a given this new version will break the last SONAR.  They actually went a long way at making sure they didn't break things last time.  Given this is all just just at the announce stage, it would be unfair to start jumping to conclusions.  Let them announce the actual upgrade to Melodyne first.

In the past, these were just updates to Melodyne its self - like an update to any other plugin. Now the whole specification is changing i.e. the ARA implementation that has to be built into the DAW to support it. It's possible the new Melodyne could be backward compatible with ARA 1 but there is an equal possibility it won't be. Yes, we shouldn't jump to conclusions, but we should be prepared for Melodyne (and other plugins) to no longer support Sonar, potentially damaging existing Sonar projects. Also, more plugins are likely to come along now and use the ARA specification as it's becoming a standard. These new plugins will only support ARA 2 and above.

2018/01/27 20:13:15
mettelus
Typically a spec incorporates prior versions so that it adds more and something socketed to it will only get data for the spec it is built to. Ceremony comes across as a company that plans this way so an ARA2 version will most likely function as ARA1 if a DAW only supports ARA1. Again ARA2 would need to be in place on both sides of the fence, so whether upgrades are required remains to be seen, but it shouldn't just break the prior functionality.
2018/01/27 21:19:31
mudgel
In a way ARA is a type of plugin format, so there’s no reason why just as various plugin formats like VST2 and 3 can co exist that so too will ARA 1 and 2. Maybe?
2018/01/28 08:45:52
Bajan Blue
Sorry my ignorance, but will ARA 2 Melodyne work with either / both Studio One / Sampletitude
Nigel

2018/01/28 14:32:15
35mm
Bajan Blue
Sorry my ignorance, but will ARA 2 Melodyne work with either / both Studio One / Sampletitude
Nigel

Yes, once S1 and Samp are updated to incorporate the new ARA2. That could take a while though as it will have to be implemented, beta tested and have any issues ironed out before a release. As I understand it, Celemony has only just announced it so I don't think there will be anything for several months yet.
2018/01/28 17:50:08
azslow3
35mm
 As I understand it, Celemony has only just announced it so I don't think there will be anything for several months yet.

Please do not think that ARA2 was announced to DAW (and other...) developers just 2 day ago

2018/01/29 03:26:55
mudgel
Also Celemony commented how ARA2 being far easier to incorporate in the DAW.

http://www.celemony.com/en/pm-ara2
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account