• Software
  • record with 0 db? -5db, -10db?
2018/01/26 20:16:59
kakashix
hi folks,

ive watched some videos about the db to record with, it should be something around -5dv to -10db but in some videos people telling to go up to 0db and want to know why? isnt that too loud?

i mean u have no headroom left then...
here are the links, exact to the second where he explains

youtu.be/HhkNcaI_0LE?t=145
youtu.be/dRa26Xxe1EM?t=135

ps, i cant post links u have to copie the link above

2018/01/26 21:07:01
Soundwise
I usually record at 24/48 with peaks at -6dB. Some peaks may go up to -3 or -2, but I always try to make sure the signal never peaks at 0dB.
2018/01/26 21:15:09
sharke
You should post this in the techniques forum.
2018/01/26 22:34:48
LANEY
I wish I still had the article that has specific settings depending on your interface.  There was a formula and how to set it with your interface.  I think mine ended up being -16db and when I switched to doing that, my recordings sounded great.  It was also easier to mix with. Focusrite interfaces sweet spot was -12db as I recall
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/gain-staging-your-daw-software
track at -12db 
mix at -20db 

I agree this is a good rule of thumb 
2018/01/27 01:02:01
Kuusniemi
I would advice against recording to 0db. It gives you no margin of error. You can always boost a signal but a fried recording is just a ruined recording.
2018/01/27 01:49:18
sharke
LANEY
I wish I still had the article that has specific settings depending on your interface.  There was a formula and how to set it with your interface.  I think mine ended up being -16db and when I switched to doing that, my recordings sounded great.  It was also easier to mix with. Focusrite interfaces sweet spot was -12db as I recall
track at -12db 
mix at -20db 

I've read that Sound On Sound article before and I'm not sure if I agree with his statement "...many people, including me, believe that the summing engines in different DAWs don't always produce the same results when summing lots of very high-level signals, and that these differences can be audible." That sounds kind of vague to me, and for all this talk of differences in the summing engines of DAW's, has anyone actually been able to confirm it through testing? 
2018/01/27 18:52:30
drewfx1
sharke
LANEY
track at -12db 
mix at -20db 

I've read that Sound On Sound article before and I'm not sure if I agree with his statement "...many people, including me, believe that the summing engines in different DAWs don't always produce the same results when summing lots of very high-level signals, and that these differences can be audible." That sounds kind of vague to me, and for all this talk of differences in the summing engines of DAW's, has anyone actually been able to confirm it through testing? 

Some time ago PT used fixed point summing and there might have been issues with summing there.

With floating point summing that Sonar uses (and virtually everything else today as well) only ignorant people - meaning people who don't understand floating point math - believe stuff like that. 
2018/01/27 21:20:21
bitflipper
Once upon a time, it was desirable to record hot because a strong signal could drown out the intrinsic noise of magnetic tape. It's a different world today, but old rules of thumb persist, even when they no longer apply.

Some justify the concept by saying you have to "use all the bits". Truth is, modern signal-to-noise ratios are so ridiculously high that it almost doesn't matter what level you record at. Within reason, of course. Noise isn't completely gone. Digital recording brings its own kind of noise, and all the analog devices we record still add their own noise. But you could still record everything at -30 dBFS and all would be fine.

I would never, ever set 0 dB as my target. Not for recording, not for mastering. In the weird math of digital audio, 0 + 0 can equal 6!
2018/01/27 23:42:31
subtlearts
Listen to the Bitflipper, for truly he is wise in the ways of bits!

(That almost sounds facetious, but was not intended to be)
2018/01/28 00:19:34
drewfx1
bitflipperIn the weird math of digital audio, 0 + 0 can equal 6!

And 6 + 6 can equal 0 too.  
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account