• Software
  • Man... Sonar died to me quickly
2018/01/12 20:06:24
Enigmatic
After trying Studio One 3.... I have to say I'm kinda glad Sonar died... I never knew there was such a perfect daw availible... I've been with Cakewalk since 2000ish.  I was hardcore. There were things that bugged me about Sonar but Studio pne Made them much more glaring...

Now... 
My X-Touch actually works and the buttons make sense

My BCR2000 is fully functional

Routing makes much more sense (the detachment of channels and tracks is amazing

recordable Inserts on Inputs! I never imagined this was possible in a daw! I can record real time effects all in zero latency with a behringer interface.

USEFUL Midi FX

And oMG the MACROS..... 

Its amazing when the #1 thing I miss from Sonar is the fully customizable Plugin list... 

If I didnt have all of the projects I have for Sonar I would have uninstalled it already

Sorry for the rant... I had to share my excitement somewhere... My wife doesn't give a **** 
2018/01/12 20:54:33
Marshall
Enigmatic

.... I had to share my excitement somewhere... My wife doesn't give a **** 

Ha ha I get that bit! I'm a long term Sonar inmate turned new Studio One fanboy too.
2018/01/12 21:14:28
CakeAlexSHere
All I'm missing from Sonar is track templates, better meters and gain knobs, the last two can be worked around...I think plugin performance is better in Sonar but I have a suspicion that's gonna be dealt within this year. Otherwise I have better stability and workflow with Studio One.. very happy.
2018/01/12 21:39:23
azslow3
Enigmatic
After trying Studio One 3.... I have to say I'm kinda glad Sonar died... I never knew there was such a perfect daw availible... I've been with Cakewalk since 2000ish.  I was hardcore. There were things that bugged me about Sonar but Studio pne Made them much more glaring...

I am happy that you have found your DAW. Really, nothing against it.

But...

Now... 
My X-Touch actually works and the buttons make sense

For most users it make sense in Sonar as well. With all buttons.

My BCR2000 is fully functional

I have very hard time to imagine that someone has managed to beat BCR2000 in Sonar with preset from MarKo...

recordable Inserts on Inputs! I never imagined this was possible in a daw! I can record real time effects all in zero latency with a behringer interface.

Surprise for you... Sonar ALSO can do this

USEFUL Midi FX

Agree, it is easy to make more useful MFXes in other DAWs.

And oMG the MACROS..... 

CAL, API... S1 had some kind of API, but it was never documented and almost abandoned now.
Macroses was easy to make in Sonar, to use with control surfaces.

Sorry for the rant... I had to share my excitement somewhere... My wife doesn't give a ****

Please do not get me wrong, I also was excited when I have tried the first another DAW. Still excited by some aspects of it, but almost cooled down by other.
I was another time excited by yet another DAW. This time more seriously. But once you dig deeper, you will find that no DAW is perfect and what you already had still has some advantages over what you try to use as next
2018/01/12 21:55:40
CakeAlexSHere
No DAW is perfect.
Studio ONE though has a LOT faster workflow and is FAR more stable than Sonar ever was, just for those reasons it easily wins. The main reason is though it isn't a slowly rotting carcass. Everytime I return to Sonar now it feels like a bloated pregnant dead whale.

BTW when it comes to software I'm fairly non plussed... I just want to do stuff on it, it's a tool.
2018/01/12 22:49:27
Resonant Serpent
You can use the folder view in S1 to organize your plugins.

https://www.pro-tools-exp...ger-and-other-features
2018/01/13 00:47:11
Rbh
I tried S1 early on when it first came out. I found it efficient - but it didn't ( at the time) cover nearly as many bases as Sonar. I think sonar is very full featured and matured - plus it's backward compatibility is amazing over 20 plus years.
2018/01/13 01:48:11
Genghis
While I'm very sad to see SONAR and Cakewalk go away, I made the transition to Studio One over the last couple of years.  At first I had to Google how to do a few things the Studio One way that I already knew how to do in SONAR, but it didn't take long for me to really get into the workflow and layout of Studio One.  The low-latency protection was the icing on the cake for me... (bad pun not really intended.)
2018/01/13 02:37:35
dubdisciple
I won't go that far. For me, using studio one did help me see some areas Sonar fell short in. At the same time I still notice things I miss from Sonar when i use Studio one. I don't use staff view often but nice having, especially when i am teaching kids.
2018/01/13 02:39:52
dubdisciple
Azlow, honestly the only way i got sonar to work in a way that was not totally frustrating was with your software. With studio one i have used 5 different controllers easily with minimal setup.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account