• Software
  • Man... Sonar died to me quickly (p.5)
2018/01/20 04:06:11
Jeff Evans
You could explode pitches to tracks for all the parts within a drum performance and then have total control over solo/mute for each part. 
2018/01/20 13:41:41
Blades
But then not have all of the notes in the same midi track. And still not have notes represented without length. And my drum kit has several notes for every drum to do articulations so I would end up with snare, snake rim, rim shot on different Tracks. Crash bow, crash edge, crash choke on different tracks. That's not even counting the many states of hit hat. And list of other missing features. I understand what explode is. It's like the split notes to tracks CAL and it isn't the same thing as a proper drum map.

Most of the daw systems out there have something like this. S1 just needs some improvements to be better. It is already a highly voted on feature request over there.

I don't want everything in S1 to be the same as sonar. I know that is something that you push sonar users away from. It is one thing I just like less about S1. And explode notes to tracks is not the solution for me.
2018/01/20 14:48:53
anydmusic
I don'y know Studio One but I'm betting there is a way to set the length of all of the MIDI notes in a track. This is what I've always done in Sonar...

Agree the multi track thing sounds clumsy.
2018/01/20 15:17:38
Starise
Sonar is officially dead so far as Gibson developing it further. On that I agree.

Until I hear otherwise Sonar is not officially wiped from the face of the planet. There are undercurrents happening behind the scenes that might take a year or two to come out.

I predict a possible future where we still have the product in another form in other hands...possibly. 

So if I were you I would hang onto all of your serial numbers. It might one day earn you a discount of some kind.
I have Studio One. For me it's mainly the graphics I don't like. That might sound like a small thing, but I could make Sonar large on two screens and customize it. Seeing your work in a visual medium IS important.
2018/01/20 16:28:23
pwalpwal
Blades
I understand that they are called Pitch Maps.  I've setup my "pitch maps" in S1, but they are lacking many of the Drum Maps features, such as:

Notes with no duration  - since drum notes have none, I don't need to see their "length"
Limiting the display to ONLY the notes that are in the map
Ability to solo/mute individual notes within a drum performance - like only all snares or kicks or whatever

Those are just a few.  This is one area where Studio One is definitely behind - though the Drum Maps feature in Sonar largely hasn't changed since I built my video about them back in Sonar 5! and sorely needed to.

i hope you've sent this info as a feature request to presonus?
2018/01/20 16:38:55
Blades
A drum editor is already a feature request with a lot of votes over there, so I voted for it, explained what I also wanted, and also linked to the video I created about sonar drum maps years ago to show their value. I think it is in the top 10 of votes for the fr list so I am hopeful.
2018/01/20 21:23:57
paulo
Alternatively, I've had a play with Studio one, Samplitude and Reaper and none of them made me want to stop using Platinum.
2018/01/20 21:41:55
abacab
Starise

I have Studio One. For me it's mainly the graphics I don't like. That might sound like a small thing, but I could make Sonar large on two screens and customize it. Seeing your work in a visual medium IS important.

Taking a little time to get used to the graphics in Studio One.  I am finding the text font size is a bit on the small size.  Or maybe I just need new reading glasses, LOL!

On the plus side I have figured out that the mixer and editor can be detached from the single screen user interface.  This is handy when you have more than one monitor!  You can also drag your plugins to other monitors as well. 

So you can dedicate one screen to the full track view, or the mixer, or the editor, as desired.  _
2018/01/26 01:24:57
musiccontinuum
paulo
Alternatively, I've had a play with Studio one, Samplitude and Reaper and none of them made me want to stop using Platinum.

I've gotta get some projects done, so I've had to go back to Platinum. I still need to give S1 it's due time. In my latest project, I've used Platinum's staff (Quick Tab) and midi editing, which S1 just doesn't have (at least from what I've seen so far). And I don't see Notation providing the tab conversion Sonar has.

I'm curious how much time it's taken new users of S1 to get the swing of it?
2018/01/26 02:29:32
Zo
I just finished mixing a song in it ... and it was really pleasant , the things that kills me are workflow based like having the solo on the plugin wrapper, x ray and screensets ...those are stuff i use a lot during work , but everything i needed to do was possible , i used their arranger thingy ( kinda difficulte when you have audio overlapping) .... but so far i m more and more at home ..'

I might mixed a whole album in it ....i did have some cpu spikes for no reason ...but not dropout ...just here and there ..

Again i never thought the solo button on the plugin wrapper will be misseed so much ...

If somebody from presonus reading , this is easy and simple to implement ...And super effectiv workflow wise ...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account