• Software
  • Free Version of Sampletank 3 can now import legacy libraries (p.2)
2016/04/20 10:28:10
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
so I reckon it's 64bit VST3 and only installable via IK gear store???
2016/04/20 10:50:51
Fleer
Then again, the full version of ST3 has 33 GB of stuff, including some really nice pianos.
2016/04/20 10:52:27
IK_Multimedia
cclarry
Yes...but they said, and I quote...

There will be no SampleTank FREE...

You will NOT be able to import your legacy libraries with the FREE version...

Seems to me they should be running for President...IJS.... 

I don't find where we said that (I don't think saying "and I quote" followed by zero actual quotes is the way that works, IJS).  Personally, I find that our official statement about ST3 being 64-bit only included a statement that there would be no free version "at release" and my statement was "There is no plan to release a free/player version upon release, and we have no proposed date or set plan for what the future will hold for one at this time." (that's directly from KVR [edit, and from April 2014 so months before release to set proper expectations]) or very similar to that.  Sorry if that was not clear.  I also mentioned - really hinted when you look back at it - by referencing the product arc or trajectory of ST2 and how long it was before that had a free version that supported/imported the commercial libraries...  Again, sorry if this was interpreted as a hard "never" but I did my best to go out of my way not say that for this very reason.
2016/04/20 11:00:23
IK_Multimedia
RehabRob
so I reckon it's 64bit VST3 and only installable via IK gear store???

It is 64-bit only, Audio Units (Mac only obviously), VST 2, VST 3, AAX per the Specs page: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletankcs/index.php?pp=sampletank-cs-specs

You can find it in your IK User Area under "My Products"
2016/04/20 11:08:34
smallstonefan
I've always tried to avoid bashing IK, but I gotta tell you - it seems you guys strategize on ways to upset your customers. 

I have a lot of your stuff, but I've made the decision not to buy anything else from you in the future.

That's all I'll say on this.
2016/04/20 11:18:39
IK_Multimedia
smallstonefan
I've always tried to avoid bashing IK, but I gotta tell you - it seems you guys strategize on ways to upset your customers. 

I have a lot of your stuff, but I've made the decision not to buy anything else from you in the future.

That's all I'll say on this.

Thank you for your input.  I will try to choose my words even more carefully going forward as I though the "upon release" was clear to more folks than it apparently was... I also tried to inform people of the similar product arc of ST2 for those that were not aware that it was almost exactly the same there (and to provide realistic expectations for those who were aware of the free ST2 that supported the libraries coming out years after the initial non-free release).  Again, thanks for your input I'll relay the concerns and comments from you and others.
2016/04/20 11:21:14
smallstonefan
I just wanted you to know I do appreciate your response and your presence on this forum.
2016/04/20 11:44:21
azslow3
IK_Multimedia
cclarry

I don't find where we said that (I don't think saying "and I quote" followed by zero actual quotes is the way that works, IJS).

http://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?t=8796&p=47571 :
Peter_IK
SampleTank 3 Free was released to give an opportunity to demo the quality of the SampleTank 3 sounds and features. The 32-bit legacy instruments will continue to work as they were sold (in 32-bit environments) and will import into SampleTank 3 full.

The same post mention "another thread" where the decision is explained.

All relevant questions on your forum are answered the same way. And now you say that had to be interpreted as "importing legacy libraries is not possible in THE CURRENT version of ST3 free?"

I do not have many IK products, but which I have are nice. At the same time IK marketing politic is a ping-pong game between "collect as much as we can" and "attract as many users as we can", ignoring any logical sequences.
The last 2 exampled: "upgrade to import your library" -> "download new version to import your library" and "ST3 packs group buy" -> "Max version" can really upset some customers...
2016/04/20 12:55:51
IK_Multimedia
azslow3
IK_Multimedia
cclarry

I don't find where we said that (I don't think saying "and I quote" followed by zero actual quotes is the way that works, IJS).

http://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?t=8796&p=47571 :
Peter_IK
SampleTank 3 Free was released to give an opportunity to demo the quality of the SampleTank 3 sounds and features. The 32-bit legacy instruments will continue to work as they were sold (in 32-bit environments) and will import into SampleTank 3 full.

The same post mention "another thread" where the decision is explained.

All relevant questions on your forum are answered the same way. And now you say that had to be interpreted as "importing legacy libraries is not possible in THE CURRENT version of ST3 free?"

I do not have many IK products, but which I have are nice. At the same time IK marketing politic is a ping-pong game between "collect as much as we can" and "attract as many users as we can", ignoring any logical sequences.
The last 2 exampled: "upgrade to import your library" -> "download new version to import your library" and "ST3 packs group buy" -> "Max version" can really upset some customers...

I don't see where that is stating anything but how SampleTank Free was currently working, nor how it implies there would never be a future version that imports.  I do not think I was unclear at all and the "other thread" is the official explanation about why SampleTank 3 was 64-bit only and stated very clearly (and months before SampleTank 3 was even released) that there would be no free version that imports at release ("The decision to not have a free version at release...").  All relevant questions were answered stating that there was no free version that imports at that time, upon/at release, or similar and I gave any information I had about plans (or lack thereof) specifically at that time.  The arc of this version is nearly identical to that of SampleTank 2.x which did not have a fully-functioning free version for quite a long time (around 2 years if I recall correctly) so for that reason I don't believe this update should be all that surprising.
2016/04/20 13:00:34
IK_Multimedia
smallstonefan
I just wanted you to know I do appreciate your response and your presence on this forum.

I do appreciate your post and your appreciation.  Wait, "I appreciate your appreciation"??  OK so much for my alleged careful word choice... ;)
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account